SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

The rain hasn't helped things here. Was going to watch the Kyrgios match but won't be on until after Thiem, so possibly midnight. Think there was no play for 2 hours.

Konta through! Good straight sets over Cibulkova, 6-3, 6-4, looks relatively comfortable, but took nearly 2 hours and was actually a really hard battle. She plays Halep tomorrow in the quarters and important points secured in the race to Singapore.

Think I'm gonna call it a night now. Would have liked to see the Giorgi and Krygios matches but not staying up until 2ish. Muguruza also through along with Wozniaki and Kuznetsova. Only Kerber has exited from the top 8 seeds and you'd expect Pliskova and Svitolina to join the other 5 to make it 7 of the top 8.

Konta through! Good straight sets over Cibulkova, 6-3, 6-4, looks relatively comfortable, but took nearly 2 hours and was actually a really hard battle. She plays Halep tomorrow in the quarters and important points secured in the race to Singapore.

Think I'm gonna call it a night now. Would have liked to see the Giorgi and Krygios matches but not staying up until 2ish. Muguruza also through along with Wozniaki and Kuznetsova. Only Kerber has exited from the top 8 seeds and you'd expect Pliskova and Svitolina to join the other 5 to make it 7 of the top 8.

Not missing much in the Giorgi/Pliskova match. Played just one point and the rain set in.

Not missing much in the Giorgi/Pliskova match. Played just one point and the rain set in.

Shame as it's never great when it's stop-start, but probably a blessing in disguise as I'd no doubt watch the first set and then inevitably end up watching it all :lol:, definitely off to kip now though. Just 4 wins away from that Woz-Konta final ;)

Shame as it's never great when it's stop-start, but probably a blessing in disguise as I'd no doubt watch the first set and then inevitably end up watching it all :lol:, definitely off to kip now though. Just 4 wins away from that Woz-Konta final ;)

That would be grand. Her 12th QF this year.

Instead of showing a repeat of one of the earlier matches TV2 Sport here is currently just showing an empty and wet ground with rain falling with a small sign below saying no play before 0.00 GMT. It is like one of them old-fashioned fish tank pause screens. Only with rain drops instead of air bubbles. Rather therapeutic.

Some beautiful shots of the evening night sky now that the players are coming back onto the court. Been a while since I have seen a sunset like that.

Last edited:
That would be grand. Her 12th QF this year.

Instead of showing a repeat of one of the earlier matches TV2 Sport here is currently just showing an empty and wet ground with rain falling with a small sign below saying no play before 0.00 GMT. It is like one of them old-fashioned fish tank pause screens. Only with rain drops instead of air bubbles. Rather therapeutic.

Some beautiful shots of the evening night sky now that the players are coming back onto the court. Been a while since I have seen a sunset like that.

Backlog of catch up going on. Muguruza is through to the semi final and Halep-Konta is 12am tonight. Crazy scheduling though - Pliskova-Giorgi is on now and just gone into a deciding set and the winner plays Caroline pretty much straight away - that should have been at 12am instead of Konta to give the winner some rest, just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Svitolina-Georges and Makarova-Stephens are both playing now as well and the winners play each other in the semi final which will be around 10pm UK time but both winners will have had a similar amount of rest.

Krygios-Karlovic gone into a decider but Nick is 4-1 up so looking good.

Last edited:
Backlog of catch up going on. Muguruza is through to the semi final and Halep-Konta is 12am tonight. Crazy scheduling though - Pliskova-Giorgi is on now and just gone into a deciding set and the winner plays Caroline pretty much straight away - that should have been at 12am instead of Konta to give the winner some rest, just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Svitolina-Georges and Makarova-Stephens are both playing now as well and the winners play each other in the semi final which will be around 10pm UK time but both winners will have had a similar amount of rest.

Krygios-Karlovic gone into a decider but Nick is 4-1 up so looking good.

Does that mean Caroline is scheduled to play tonight ? Will have to keep an eye on the telly schedule. Cheers.

Does that mean Caroline is scheduled to play tonight ? Will have to keep an eye on the telly schedule. Cheers.

It should be Wozniaki vs Pliskova again (won the final set vs Giorgi) within the hour mate.

So Mugu through to the final. Woz-Plis soon, Georges (beat Svitolina) vs Stephens / Makarova winner and Halep-Konta tonight.

Semi's tomorrow, final Sunday.

It will be just after 9.30pm UK time.

Georges-Stephens 10pm
Konta-Halep 12am

Last edited:
It should be Wozniaki vs Pliskova again (won the final set vs Giorgi) within the hour mate.

So Mugu through to the final. Woz-Plis soon, Georges (beat Svitolina) vs Stephens / Makarova winner and Halep-Konta tonight.

Semi's tomorrow, final Sunday.

It will be just after 9.30pm UK time.

Georges-Stephens 10pm
Konta-Halep 12am

Could do with a bit of rain. Pliskova hasn't put a foot wrong so far.

Could do with a bit of rain. Pliskova hasn't put a foot wrong so far.

Yeah, Pliskova played very well to be fair, continued on from her final set bagel against Giorgi. Suppose Caroline can now just fully concentrate on New York and get best prepared for that.

Stephens flying through her semi final as well, 6-1 in first set vs Georges. Konta likely be on a lot later than 12am, so will record that. Hopefully be as good as their Wimbledon quarter final.

I'm going to get stick for this but I'm going for Nick Kyrgios to win the men's US Open.

3 very good wins since this post marra including Nadal and Ferrer in straight sets. Definitely in the mix now. Didn't see this week coming. Interesting final vs Dimitrov tonight.

Women's final
7pm - Muguruza vs Halep

Men's final
9pm - Kyrgios vs Dimitrov

2 decent matches there after the football.

3 very good wins since this post marra including Nadal and Ferrer in straight sets. Definitely in the mix now. Didn't see this week coming. Interesting final vs Dimitrov tonight.

Women's final
7pm - Muguruza vs Halep

Men's final
9pm - Kyrgios vs Dimitrov

2 decent matches there after the football.
He's done well this week albeit about to lose the final. My worry is when he plays someone he is expected to beat easily. He's a big game player.

He's done well this week albeit about to lose the final. My worry is when he plays someone he is expected to beat easily. He's a big game player.

Aye, at least he does have a bit of momentum now and has a good run of games under his belt as it has been constant retirements for the last few months before this tournament. Dimitrov did play pretty well there to be fair.

Muguruza destroyed Halep earlier, just dropping 1 game in the entire match. She's definitely the best women player in the world right now and it's good to see her adding top tier titles to her growing slam collection.

Just watching that men's final and it really is a shame that the US Open is not on Sky for a second year. I'm pleased that Eurosport has picked it up, but it will be one or a max of two channels and it will be just what they deem to be the biggest / best match. They usually will prioritise a Brit but there will be loads of good games we will miss out on. Hopefully Bet365 will stream games and I'll also have to find other streams like first row. Might actually be tempted to invest in Eurosport Player for the duration of the tournament.

2 tournaments left before the US Open:

Winston-Salem 250 for the men which features Edmund - Eurosport has coverage of the QFs starting on Thursday and the final is Saturday.

Connecticut Open for the women which is a Premier event. It's actually starting now (Kontaveit out already) but BT have coverage from tomorrow up until Saturday's final. Lots of biggish names involved - Kvitova, Radwanska, Bouchard, Mladenovic, Vesnina and Pavyluchenkova amongst others - Mainly those ranked outside the top 12, decent field overall though. Sloane Stephens has just pulled out though.

US Open qualifying started today. Denis Shapavalov safely through his first round match in straight sets. Brydan Klein plays later today, as does Cameron Norrie who faces Bublik who Murray beat in the first round of Wimbledon.

Katie Boulter, Laura Robson and Naomi Broady are all competing in the women's side and all 3 get their campaigns off tomorrow. Need to win 3 matches to enter the first round.

Felix Auger Aliassime is the one to watch if he can make it through qualies. By all accounts he's rated higher than Shapovalov in Canada. Only seen him play a couple of times but he's already won a challenger event, only turned 17 this month.

Vera Zvonareva in the women's qualies as well :cool: Up a set in the first round.

Less familiar with the men outside than the women but those of I do recognise, Hamburg winner Leo Mayer safely through. 'Brit' Klein has taken the first set of his match against someone who beat him a couple of weeks ago. Ofner who had a good run at Wimbledon is out.

In the women's Zvonareva is through, former Wimbledon QF Kanepi through, Bondarenko through. Young Canadian Bianca Andreescu (17) who had runs at Washington and Toronto recently is due on later tonight.

In the Winston-Salem Open (250 ATP), Edmund-Medvedev has gone to a decider and is on serve. Bedene lost his opening set.

Does anyone know how many points Andy Murray has to defend for the US Open? I thought he would slide down the rankings but Djokovic and especially Wawrinka are going to drop badly. Zverev and Dimitrov could be the big winners in terms of ranking positions.

Back