SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Anyone going to start a thread for the US Open or just use this one? @The Bridge Lad? Draw's tomorrow isn't it?

Yeah, the draw is 5pm UK time. I think a new thread will be better for the US Open as this thread has largely been on the first page for the last few weeks but it is the same 4 or 5 people commenting, so a new thread will be better for visibility as a lot of mainly just grand slam followers might not even know it's on especially with Eurosport covering it instead of Sky Sports. I'll start one after the draw tomorrow unless one is created before.

I see Cameron Norrie has won 2 qualifiers so has a final match tomorrow for a place in the main draw. Katie Boulter and Naomi Brady have their 2nd match (of hopefully 3) later today.

Kyle Edmund has just lost the first set 5-7 in his Winston Salem 250 QF to Steve Johnson. Women's Connecticut Open (500) quarter finals currently on BT Sport 1.

Yeah, the draw is 5pm UK time. I think a new thread will be better for the US Open as this thread has largely been on the first page for the last few weeks but it is the same 4 or 5 people commenting, so a new thread will be better for visibility as a lot of mainly just grand slam followers might not even know it's on especially with Eurosport covering it instead of Sky Sports. I'll start one after the draw tomorrow unless one is created before.

I see Cameron Norrie has won 2 qualifiers so has a final match tomorrow for a place in the main draw. Katie Boulter and Naomi Brady have their 2nd match (of hopefully 3) later today.

Kyle Edmund has just lost the first set 5-7 in his Winston Salem 250 QF to Steve Johnson. Women's Connecticut Open (500) quarter finals currently on BT Sport 1.

Nice one, really looking forward to the US Open now like. Oh and I liked the look of her at Wimbledon ;) so hope she makes it.

Edmund has come back to win which should nudge him further up the top 50. He plays either Chung Hyeon or Damir Dzumhur in the semi, I think.

Edmund has come back to win which should nudge him further up the top 50. He plays either Chung Hyeon or Damir Dzumhur in the semi, I think.
Aye, caught a bit of the 2nd and 3rd as there was a long delay in the women's due to a spectator passing out, i was kind of flicking between then anyway. Yeah, that one currently on serve. Bautista-Agut and Coric could meet in the other semi.

Boulter has just broken her #3 ranked opponent and leads 4-3 in the opening set, that's her 2nd break in a row - would love to see her pull it off. Broady 4-3 up in her opening set, although that's just on serve.

Also didn't realise Raonic has pulled out as well, there'll be more top 10/11 men out than in at this rate.

Had a few quid on Katie Boulter to win, no idea how good she is but Danka Kovinic is rubbish. 11/4 on anyone to beat her is worth a few quid. Serving for the first set now but there's been a thousand breaks already so not holding my breath. Broady should be winning that qualifier as well.

Only bet I've had so far for the US Open is a fiver on Ferrer at 250's. Look to lay it off if he makes the second week.

Does anyone know how many points Andy Murray has to defend for the US Open? I thought he would slide down the rankings but Djokovic and especially Wawrinka are going to drop badly. Zverev and Dimitrov could be the big winners in terms of ranking positions.

Just 360 isn't it? Meltdown after the loud gong going off in the background in the quarter final against Nishikori when he was pretty much cruising. One of the few tournaments where he can actually make some ground on his results from last year.

Had a few quid on Katie Boulter to win, no idea how good she is but Danka Kovinic is rubbish. 11/4 on anyone to beat her is worth a few quid. Serving for the first set now but there's been a thousand breaks already so not holding my breath. Broady should be winning that qualifier as well.

Only bet I've had so far for the US Open is a fiver on Ferrer at 250's. Look to lay it off if he makes the second week.

Just 360 isn't it? Meltdown after the loud gong going off in the background in the quarter final against Nishikori when he was pretty much cruising. One of the few tournaments where he can actually make some ground on his results from last year.

Just won the first set. Ironically, her serve is one of her better strengths :lol:.

Broady just taken her first set as well. Hopefully at least one of them will get to the main draw and then there will be 3 of each representing, 4 if Norrie comes through tomorrow as well.

Boulter! :cool:

Last edited:
Draw's out. Sharapova v Halep in round 1 :lol:

Murray's potential draw is pretty kind

R1: Sandgren
R2: Mayer
R3: Schwartzman/Kokkinakis
R4: Pouille/Ferrer
QF: Tsonga
SF: Zverev/Cilic
F: Federer/Nadal/Kyrgios

Konta's

R1: Krunic
R2: Larsson/Tomljanovic
R3: Goerges
R4: Konjuh/Barty/Cibulkova/Stephens
QF: Halep/Sharapova
SF: Muguruza/Venus/Wozniacki
F: Pliskova/Svitolina/Kerber

There's not that many interesting matches in round 1. Sharapova v Halep, Konjuh v Barty, Osaka v Kerber, Kvitova v JJ, Kohlschreiber v Paire. Meh.

Draw's out. Sharapova v Halep in round 1 :lol:

Murray's potential draw is pretty kind

R1: Sandgren
R2: Mayer
R3: Schwartzman/Kokkinakis
R4: Pouille/Ferrer
QF: Tsonga
SF: Zverev/Cilic
F: Federer/Nadal/Kyrgios

Konta's

R1: Krunic
R2: Larsson/Tomljanovic
R3: Goerges
R4: Konjuh/Barty/Cibulkova/Stephens
QF: Halep/Sharapova
SF: Muguruza/Venus/Wozniacki
F: Pliskova/Svitolina/Kerber

There's not that many interesting matches in round 1. Sharapova v Halep, Konjuh v Barty, Osaka v Kerber, Kvitova v JJ, Kohlschreiber v Paire. Meh.

Literally just about to post a new thread. Yeah, Halep vs Sharapova is definitely the stand out match of both sections.

You would expect a fit Murray to do well with this draw, we just don't know how fit he is going to be. Do the matches normally start at 4/5pm our time? I'll have to upgrade to Eurosport if I'm going to watch.

That's what I call 'tennis season' officially over now. It's great from late May when the French Open starts, though to the English grass build up events, then Wimbledon, then the big US Swing which culminates in the US Open - there's pretty much tennis on every night and at a great time for the UK audience.

There are a few events until the end of the season, but for most people the next time they tune in will be the Australian Open in mid January (and the times are awful from a UK POV). Possibly coinciding with Sunderland being shite for so long now, I'd probably consider tennis to be my favourite sport now so I will still be following the events when I can (The 'Asian Swing' times aren't very friendly either mind) and I am looking forward to the Year End Finals, particularly the WTA version in late October.

Remaining men's schedule:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_ATP_World_Tour
The BBC sport website are covering the Davis Cup semi finals this weekend. There are 2 Masters 1000 events (Shanghai and Paris) and 4 500 events and a few 250 tournaments until the London Finals in mid November. There is also the newly created 'Laver Cup' in a couple of weeks which features Nadal, Federer, Zverev, Potro and Krygios amongst others - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Laver_Cup.
The 'Next Gen' Finals will also be worth a watch with many of those involved impressing at the US Open over the past 2 weeks.

Remaining women's schedule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_WTA_Tour
There are 2 events that are on par with the men's 1000 events (Wuhan and Beijing) and 2 Premier (500) events remaining - the Tokyo Premier event which starts next Monday has a very strong field and features Konta, Muguruza, Pliskova, Wozniaki, Keys and Kvitova as players look to secure ranking points and others look to secure their place in the Year End Finals in Singapore which start in late October and with numerous big events remaining, there are plenty of points to play for.

I'll look to bump this thread every week or so.

Zarina Diyas won the Tokyo international tournament this morning and Alison Van Uytvanck has just won an equivalent international tour title in Quebec. The BBC website and red button are currently showing the second Davis Cup semi final between Belgium and Australia which has come down to Darcy vs Thompson and whoever wins this match will see their nation through to the final where France awaits. Darcy leads 2-0, with the third set just starting.

A few tournaments starting tomorrow.

ATP:
St Petersburg (250) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_St._Petersburg_Open
Headlined by the likes of Bautista-Agut and Tsonga. Eurosport have coverage from the quarter final stage.

Metz (250) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Moselle_Open
Looks a lot stronger field here and has PBC, Goffin, Pouille, M Zverez amongst other names. This will be FreeSports first tournament.

WTA:
Toray Pan Pacific Tokyo (Premier) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Toray_Pan_Pacific_Open
Very strong field here, featuring Konta, Muguruza, Ka Pliskova, Wozkiacki and Kerber.

Korea Open (International level) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Korea_Open
Ostapenko is the biggest name and top seed here, Heather Watson also involved.

Guangzhou Open (International level) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Guangzhou_International_Women's_Open
Peng Shuai and Anett Kontaveit participating here.

BT Sport are covering all 3 of these tournaments on 1, 2, and 3, but coverage will start from 3am. Sky will also have coverage of the inaugural Laver Cup on Friday which is loaded with big names - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Laver_Cup

Zarina Diyas won the Tokyo international tournament this morning and Alison Van Uytvanck has just won an equivalent international tour title in Quebec. The BBC website and red button are currently showing the second Davis Cup semi final between Belgium and Australia which has come down to Darcy vs Thompson and whoever wins this match will see their nation through to the final where France awaits. Darcy leads 2-0, with the third set just starting.

A few tournaments starting tomorrow.

ATP:
St Petersburg (250) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_St._Petersburg_Open
Headlined by the likes of Bautista-Agut and Tsonga. Eurosport have coverage from the quarter final stage.

Metz (250) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Moselle_Open
Looks a lot stronger field here and has PBC, Goffin, Pouille, M Zverez amongst other names. This will be FreeSports first tournament.

WTA:
Toray Pan Pacific Tokyo (Premier) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Toray_Pan_Pacific_Open
Very strong field here, featuring Konta, Muguruza, Ka Pliskova, Wozkiacki and Kerber.

Korea Open (International level) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Korea_Open
Ostapenko is the biggest name and top seed here, Heather Watson also involved.

Guangzhou Open (International level) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Guangzhou_International_Women's_Open
Peng Shuai and Anett Kontaveit participating here.

BT Sport are covering all 3 of these tournaments on 1, 2, and 3, but coverage will start from 3am. Sky will also have coverage of the inaugural Laver Cup on Friday which is loaded with big names - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Laver_Cup

Quite like the look of that Laver Cup, might give it a watch.

2 women's finals in the early hours of tomorrow:

Wozniacki in a Premier event in Japan - 4am @alexander
Ostapenko in an international event in Korea - 6am @chopsfc007

Both UK times an on BT1 and BT3 respectively. Hopefully Caroline gets her first title in what i think is her 7th final and hopefully Jelena wins her first ever title outside of that French Open win, both are favourites to do so.

2 women's finals in the early hours of tomorrow:

Wozniacki in a Premier event in Japan - 4am @alexander
Ostapenko in an international event in Korea - 6am @chopsfc007

Both UK times an on BT1 and BT3 respectively. Hopefully Caroline gets her first title in what i think is her 7th final and hopefully Jelena wins her first ever title outside of that French Open win, both are favourites to do so.

Now, decision time, should I turn in early and set the alarm or stay up with a few cans and hope to not fall asleep before time.

The semi-final was glorious viewing.

Now, decision time, should I turn in early and set the alarm or stay up with a few cans and hope to not fall asleep before time.

I was actually hoping for a Muguruza - Kerber final, but definitely want Caroline to win it now. A surprisingly dominant performance as Mugu had been looking so good in the week. Konta's decline continues - i hope she isn't just going to filter down the rankings now and these past 18 or so have just been an extended purple patch.

2 bigger tournaments coming up - a Premier 5 tournament in Wuhan tomorrow and then a Premier Mandatory event in Beijing the following Sunday, they are worth 900 and 1000 points respectively whereas the one Caroline is in is worth 470 and Ostapenko 280, so plenty more points to play for before the Year End Finals at the end of October. Can see Konta losing her place at this rate.

Oh, and I'll be recording both along with the Campbell fight and will be catching up with them when i get up. I think 5am your time will be a bit risky to stay up so I'd set the alarm personally.

Last edited:
I was actually hoping for a Muguruza - Kerber final, but definitely want Caroline to win it now. A surprisingly dominant performance as Mugu had been looking so good in the week. Konta's decline continues - i hope she isn't just going to filter down the rankings now and these past 18 or so have just been an extended purple patch.

2 bigger tournaments coming up - a Premier 5 tournament in Wuhan tomorrow and then a Premier Mandatory event in Beijing the following Sunday, they are worth 900 and 1000 points respectively whereas the one Caroline is in is worth 470 and Ostapenko 280, so plenty more points to play for before the Year End Finals at the end of October. Can see Konta losing her place at this rate.

Oh, and I'll be recording both along with the Campbell fight and will be catching up with them when i get up. I think 5am your time will be a bit risky to stay up so I'd set the alarm personally.

How is the road to Singapore looking at the moment ? Haven't been keeping proper up for a while.

How is the road to Singapore looking at the moment ? Haven't been keeping proper up for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_WTA_Finals

The top 6 look certs, Mugu is officially in and I thought Halep was too, but judging by that it's not official yet, but 99.9%. Ostapenko has taken over Konta now even if she loses tomorrow which could be significant. Mladenovic has lost about 9 of her last 10 games so she is pretty much out of contention and Kuznetsova and Vandeweghe will have to do very well in one of Wuhan or Beijing or maybe even both to have much chance.

The main threat stopping the current top 8 is the wildcard spot. The top 7 are automatic qualifiers but the WTA do have the option to use a wildcard for the 8th if they see fit. Stephen may get this after winning a slam and missing most of the year through injury. If Konta finished 7th and Osta 8th then this won't happen as Osta also has a slam, but if it ends how it currently is then Stephens could pip Konta with a potential wildcard.

Back