SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Class stuff from Shapovalov this week, hopefully he gets through this third set against Mannarino.

Pretty unpredictable week overall apart from the predictable Federer progression, Can't believe a player as poor as Haase awaits in the SF of a masters event.

Can see Anderson taking out a tired Zverev tonight and probably beating Shapovalov/Mannarino to lose to Fed in the final.

Yeah, loads going on. Zverev vs Shapovalov should be decent, neither will be the freshest but you'd probably think that Zverev should have a bit too much despite about 8 matches in 2 weeks. Federer should come through his comfortably although he has been pushed a lot more in his earlier round matches. Would rather Denis-Sascha was on at 8pm rather than 1am - will likely record and watch in the morning. Good to see an 18 and 20 year old into the semi's though - bodes well for the future.

Women's was disrupted by the weather yesterday. Wozniacki beat Pliskova to reach the semi final. She plays Sloane Stephens who's had a fantastic week after a nightmare couple of years. Mugu took the first set off Svitolina but rain suspended play and Halep-Garcia didn't get to start their match. Both of those quarters are on at 4pm UK time today but it doesn't look as though BT are showing them unless they change their schedule last minute.

8pm Sky Sports Action - Federer vs Hasse
1am Sky Sports Action - Shapovalov vs Zverev

6pm BT Sport 3 - Wozniacki vs Stephens
11pm BT Sport 2 - Muguruza / Svitolina vs Halep / Garcia

Shapovalov is someone you could enjoy watching even if you weren't interested in tennis. One handed backhand, lefty, attacking, charges to the net, good mover, shows emotion. Got it all.

Sharapova v Ostapenko in R1 at Cincy. 'I don't like her. I don't like the way she looks, nor her game.' :lol: oh I can't wait for that one. Kvitova v Kerber a potential R3 (which probably wont happen), best match up to watch in tennis so fingers crossed.

Shapovalov is someone you could enjoy watching even if you weren't interested in tennis. One handed backhand, lefty, attacking, charges to the net, good mover, shows emotion. Got it all.

Sharapova v Ostapenko in R1 at Cincy. 'I don't like her. I don't like the way she looks, nor her game.' :lol: oh I can't wait for that one. Kvitova v Kerber a potential R3 (which probably wont happen), best match up to watch in tennis so fingers crossed.

Agree with Shapovalov, a great addition to the tour, shame he's not in Cincy next week. After he beat Nadal it's so often the case they can't get up for the next match and after the first set I thought Mannarino would go on to win but a good semi final line up overall, 3 out of 4 aint bad.

Women's draw is class. Really hope Ostapenko wins that one. You've also got the Stanford final in Coco and Keys, Kvitova-Kontaveit - I'd be surprised if it is Kerber vs Kvitova in the 3rd round, can see both going out, unreal the difference between 2016 and 2017 Kerber.

Watson in qualifying today (and hopefully tomorrow) although if her shoulder isn't too good like last week, would be better if she didn't play.

Agree with Shapovalov, a great addition to the tour, shame he's not in Cincy next week. After he beat Nadal it's so often the case they can't get up for the next match and after the first set I thought Mannarino would go on to win but a good semi final line up overall, 3 out of 4 aint bad.

Women's draw is class. Really hope Ostapenko wins that one. You've also got the Stanford final in Coco and Keys, Kvitova-Kontaveit - I'd be surprised if it is Kerber vs Kvitova in the 3rd round, can see both going out, unreal the difference between 2016 and 2017 Kerber.

Watson in qualifying today (and hopefully tomorrow) although if her shoulder isn't too good like last week, would be better if she didn't play.

He's playing a challenger in Canada IIRC. That was the plan anyway, not sure whether he'll withdraw and rest up before the US Open qualifiers in case he doesn't get a wild card. Probably the right move.

BT are now showing both quarter finals for anyone interested. Muguruza vs Svitolina on BT 3 (Svitolina has just broken in 2nd set) and Halep-Garcia on BT3 red button.

Yeah, loads going on. Zverev vs Shapovalov should be decent, neither will be the freshest but you'd probably think that Zverev should have a bit too much despite about 8 matches in 2 weeks. Federer should come through his comfortably although he has been pushed a lot more in his earlier round matches. Would rather Denis-Sascha was on at 8pm rather than 1am - will likely record and watch in the morning. Good to see an 18 and 20 year old into the semi's though - bodes well for the future.

Women's was disrupted by the weather yesterday. Wozniacki beat Pliskova to reach the semi final. She plays Sloane Stephens who's had a fantastic week after a nightmare couple of years. Mugu took the first set off Svitolina but rain suspended play and Halep-Garcia didn't get to start their match. Both of those quarters are on at 4pm UK time today but it doesn't look as though BT are showing them unless they change their schedule last minute.

8pm Sky Sports Action - Federer vs Hasse
1am Sky Sports Action - Shapovalov vs Zverev

6pm BT Sport 3 - Wozniacki vs Stephens
11pm BT Sport 2 - Muguruza / Svitolina vs Halep / Garcia

Was gonna tag you in earlier @alexander - are you tuning into Caroline? I'm recording and will watch at half time and then fully at full time. Really good comeback win for her yesterday in a rain delayed match - she was 1-5 down in the first set before the rain came, could be on for her 6th final. She could be on to face Pliskova again in the quarter finals at Cincy next week.

Last edited:
Just caught up. Decent win there for Wozniacki, 6-2, 6-3. That second set was really good and had some cracking rallies. Looks comfortable, but Sloane did give her a good game. A fully fit Sloane is a welcome addition to the women's tour and she will be a very dangerous non seed floater in the US Open.

Watson has lost the first set of her first Cincy qualifier.

Less than two hours to go.

I feel a song coming up. :)

I feel a 6th final defeat ;)

Looking forward to it actually, it's arguably the 2 best performers on the WTA tour this year, they have the most wins anyway. Slight contrast in their finals though, Elina is 4-0 this year whereas Caroline in 0-5. Svitolina won their previous final in Dubai earlier this year 4 and 2. Great timings as well. 6.30pm UK time so just after the football, but you can also see Federer vs Zverev in the men's final which doesn't start until 9am.

Straight on to Cincy tomorrow. Speaking of which, @MarcoG i see Sharapova predictably withdrew. Grim comeback so far.

*9pm Federer

Last edited:
I feel a 6th final defeat ;)

Looking forward to it actually, it's arguably the 2 best performers on the WTA tour this year, they have the most wins anyway. Slight contrast in their finals though, Elina is 4-0 this year whereas Caroline in 0-5. Svitolina won their previous final in Dubai earlier this year 4 and 2. Great timings as well. 6.30pm UK time so just after the football, but you can also see Federer vs Zverev in the men's final which doesn't start until 9am.

Straight on to Cincy tomorrow. Speaking of which, @MarcoG i see Sharapova predictably withdrew. Grim comeback so far.

I hope she will win this time as I can see it being a long match. Hopefully no rain delays. If it ends in two sets I think she will lose again.

I hope she will win this time as I can see it being a long match. Hopefully no rain delays. If it ends in two sets I think she will lose again.

Yeah, would be grim if she lost again, 2 likeable players though. Svitolina will fight for every point and has had a cracking run in this tournament. Tricky first round vs Kasatkina and then Williams, Muguruza and Halep, the latter two games on the same day. She also only dropped 5 games combined to Venus and Halep (62 61, 61 61) :eek:

https://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/wta-toronto/caroline-wozniacki-v-elina-svitolina/winner

Svitolina slight favourite and shortening.

Yeah, would be grim if she lost again, 2 likeable players though. Svitolina will fight for every point and has had a cracking run in this tournament. Tricky first round vs Kasatkina and then Williams, Muguruza and Halep, the latter two games on the same day. She also only dropped 5 games combined to Venus and Halep (62 61, 61 61) :eek:

https://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/wta-toronto/caroline-wozniacki-v-elina-svitolina/winner

Svitolina slight favourite and shortening.

Am thinking of putting a sneaky slip on her to win. Then if she does I will win, too and if she doesn't then that means our Caroline will have won instead. I may lose the slip but in a way it is almost a win-win situation. Sort of. Ish.

Zverev is probably the only man capable of stopping Federer this year with Murray and Djokovic basically not playing anymore.

Obviously Nadal as well but not sold on him off clay.

The likes of Berdych, Nishikori, Gasquet, Monfils, Tsonga, Goffin, Cilic, Dimitrov, Raonic and others just don't have the champion mentality and those that may (Pouille/Thiem) are woefully out of form.

Desperately hope Kyrgios stops being a nob and sorts himself out and some of the other youngsters make a big step up.

Poor Alex :(, but what a year for Svitolina - 5 tour titles including 3 Premier 5's and this week beat Venus 62 61, Halep 61 61, Muguruza and now Wozniacki in the final in straight sets including a bagel, just 22 as well. She's done OK in the Slams this year reaching the second week twice but hopefully she can continue her form and make more of an impact in New York. Pretty much nailed on to qualify for Singapore now.

Zverev is probably the only man capable of stopping Federer this year with Murray and Djokovic basically not playing anymore.

Obviously Nadal as well but not sold on him off clay.

The likes of Berdych, Nishikori, Gasquet, Monfils, Tsonga, Goffin, Cilic, Dimitrov, Raonic and others just don't have the champion mentality and those that may (Pouille/Thiem) are woefully out of form.

Desperately hope Kyrgios stops being a nob and sorts himself out and some of the other youngsters make a big step up.

Yeah the Dimitrov / Raonic generation are largely disappointing and I'd kind of put Thiem in that category as well, especially outside of clay. It's just not really a shock when he loses to the likes of Schwartzmann now. He is just 23 so time is on his side, but i'm sceptical.

At least Nick got a run of games this week and didn't retire, he was very much in that Zverev match for large parts. He has a tough draw in Cincy next week though.

Encouraging signs with Shapovalov though and Zverev is obviously coming of age. Looking forward to the final tonight - will you be tuning in for that?

Last edited:
Not pleased but rather lose this one and win the US Open. :cool:

Forty-eight WTA Finals and the first time she has lost a set to nil.

Oh, and how come she isn't in breach of the rules on what is allowed to wear ? Surely she is playing in a long t-shirt with fake folds at the edge and a pair of shorts.

Am hoping some Scottish lad will get away with wearing a kilt on court next, too.

Rules are rules. Hrmpf.

Last edited:
Is Federer injured? He's not moving well and isn't jumping off that serve well.

Zverev has been excellent. Never seen him hit his forehand as commanding as this against a good opponent.

Is Federer injured? He's not moving well and isn't jumping off that serve well.

Zverev has been excellent. Never seen him hit his forehand as commanding as this against a good opponent.

Looks more apparent in this set. Zverev's defence has been fantastic mind. 3 points away...

Back