SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Hope he is fine for the US Open mind, the way it's going with Djok, Stan and possibly Murray out, they'll probably push most of the big women's matches to the evening session (post 12am UK time) which will be shite.

Wonder if he pulls out of Cincy?

;)

All players play with knocks.

The likes of sky always look for excuses when their favourites lose.

He's certainly not my favourite :lol: not often you see Federer serve at 50% first serve and move like that though.

Hope he is fine for the US Open mind, the way it's going with Djok, Stan and possibly Murray out, they'll probably push most of the big women's matches to the evening session (post 12am UK time) which will be shite.

Wonder if he pulls out of Cincy?

No doubt about your last line I imagine. If he's tweaked his back or one of his knees then there's no chance he'll risk it.

Cincinnati started today, or technically last night as Gilles Muller and John Isner randomly had their first round games then, both winning.

Kyle Edmund on Sky Sports Action now against qualifier Soasa, he just just been broken so trails 3-4 in the first set. Mladenovic currently on BT1, lost the first set 0-6 to Gavrilova but is 3-3 in the 2nd, on serve.

Paire got destroyed 6-2, 6-1 in the mens, Tommy Paul looks like he might go on another run here, Gasquet through and Lopez on the brink of going through.

Kvitova beat Kontveit in 3 in the women's and Tsurenko beat Pavlychenkova in 3 as well. Camila Giorgi currently looking very good (as is her tennis ;)) against Siniakova, 3 games in a row, leading 3-1 in the 1st set.

All games available on Bet365 streaming as well.

Last edited:
Sharapova got a wild card into US Open.

Wildcards given to the likes of Fritz, Fratangelo and Eubanks rather than Shapovalov :rolleyes:

Sharapova got a wild card into US Open.

Wildcards given to the likes of Fritz, Fratangelo and Eubanks rather than Shapovalov :rolleyes:

Fair enough with Sharapova but aye, really disappointing Denis not getting one, exactly the type of person they need to promote especially with all the notable absentees in the men's tournament. Grim.

Konta on tonight around 10, hopefully she goes further here than last week. Good straight sets win for Kyrgios earlier.

Nishikori ruled out of the US Open. Djokovic, Wawrinka probably Murray already ruled out. Federer just needs to turn up on time unless Nadal can stop him.

Nishikori ruled out of the US Open. Djokovic, Wawrinka probably Murray already ruled out. Federer just needs to turn up on time unless Nadal can stop him.

Mind, he has also pulled out of Cincy this week so might not be 100% in New York anyway. I'm not too fussed about Kei's withdrawal, obviously a massive shame for him and he has done well raising the men's profile in the far east, but he's another who's getting on now (although younger than i actually thought), been on tour about 10 years and is generally just a 4th round type bar two obvious exception and I would rather him pulling out than a few others mentioned below.

Been a decent day for the nxtgen / younger players with potential - Khachanov, Thiem safely through in straight sets and Kyrgios reeled off 5 games in a row to take the first set in his game. I'll give Dimitrov the benefit of the doubt (although generally a disappointment) and he also won in straight sets, and while not necessarily young, it's great to see Delpo winning (or even just playing tbh), he's also through in straight sets. Hopefully a few of those can take advantage of the high profile withdrawals (and Zverez of course) and make the latter stages of the US Open rather than the typical vultures like Berdych, Anderson and co. Hopefully Denis Shapovalov qualifies as well after being denied a wildcard - all these withdrawals makes that decision not to offer him one even more crazy.

Great end to this Kerber match. Tie break in the decider, 10-9. 6th match point for Makarova incoming (on serve), she looks knackered physically.

10-10, now back on serve :lol:

Tiafoe has just dumped A Zverev out of Cincy in 3 sets, quite pleased. Huge win for Frances and it will also give Sacha an extra half a week off to rest up and prepare for the US Open. Getting quite interesting this tournament now - would like to see Nadal go out to really stir it up.

Tiafoe has just dumped A Zverev out of Cincy in 3 sets, quite pleased. Huge win for Frances and it will also give Sacha an extra half a week off to rest up and prepare for the US Open. Getting quite interesting this tournament now - would like to see Nadal go out to really stir it up.

Can't see Gasquet troubling him much, maybe Muller again in the next round though.

I'm going to get stick for this but I'm going for Nick Kyrgios to win the men's US Open.

I would love that to happen but can't see it unfortunately, he was still looking restricted by injuries yesterday and can see him struggling later today.

Dimitrov has just beaten JMDP and Kutnetsova and Halep are both through in the women's. Keys-Mugu just starting on BT now.

Sugita has just beat Khachanov on Court 3 so that means Caroline vs Ash Barty will be starting in about 15 mins @alexander. Barty is improving all the time and beat Venus yesterday so that will be a decent match.

Konta on around 8ish tonight and Pliskova vs Giorgi around 10ish. The final 2 last 16 women's matches are in the early hours featuring the in-form Svitolina and also Sloane Stephens.

Kyrgios-Karlovic will be on around 8.30ish, so a very good night of tennis ahead on both Sky and BT Sport to make up for the lack of football.

I would love that to happen but can't see it unfortunately, he was still looking restricted by injuries yesterday and can see him struggling later today.

Dimitrov has just beaten JMDP and Kutnetsova and Halep are both through in the women's. Keys-Mugu just starting on BT now.

Sugita has just beat Khachanov on Court 3 so that means Caroline vs Ash Barty will be starting in about 15 mins @alexander. Barty is improving all the time and beat Venus yesterday so that will be a decent match.

Konta on around 8ish tonight and Pliskova vs Giorgi around 10ish. The final 2 last 16 women's matches are in the early hours featuring the in-form Svitolina and also Sloane Stephens.

Kyrgios-Karlovic will be on around 8.30ish, so a very good night of tennis ahead on both Sky and BT Sport to make up for the lack of football.
I think there's going to be a surprise finalist in the men's. Rafa is vulnerable in any round. Federer should make the final but it's wide open. I'm not to fussed who wins as long as it's not Raonic.

What's your thoughts on Bautista Agut and Carreno Busta? Do you think they will be carrying Soanish tennis for the next few years. There's a young Spaniard called Nicola Kuhn coming through the challengers. He looks top class.

Last edited:

Watching it but it is a rather boring match so far. Not sure the people in the stands are even alive.

I think there's going to be a surprise finalist in the men's. Rafa is vulnerable in any round. Federer should make the final but it's wide open. I'm not to fussed who wins as long as it's not Raonic.

What's your thoughts on Bautista Agut and Carreno Busta? Do you think they will be carrying Soanish tennis for the next few years. There's a young Spaniard called Nicola Kuhn coming through the challengers. He looks top class.

What's wrong with Raonic? :D

The draw next Friday will be very interesting. Nadal will be seeded number one although with Fed not playing this week, Murray should still be #2 (if he plays) - will be interesting to see what part Fed ends up at, but yeah, wide open for someone to put a bit of a run together especially if they are on the opposite half to Fed. Maybe a home player like Isner, Sock or even a young Tiafoe or Donaldson could do OK with the vocal home support and a reasonable draw. I'll be analysing the draws massive next week :lol:.

To be honest, my knowledge of women's tennis is a lot stronger than men's. Strange one is RBA, he's 29 now but has only really been on the grand slam stage for 4 or 5 years so is probably a 'young' 29, seems a solid enough player. Carreno has had some notable wins and tournaments this year. I've not really heard of the young lad, but always interested in the next generation coming through. It will be grim if the likes of Anderson, Querrey, Berdych remain going deep when the big four are injured or retired.

What's wrong with Raonic? :D

The draw next Friday will be very interesting. Nadal will be seeded number one although with Fed not playing this week, Murray should still be #2 (if he plays) - will be interesting to see what part Fed ends up at, but yeah, wide open for someone to put a bit of a run together especially if they are on the opposite half to Fed. Maybe a home player like Isner, Sock or even a young Tiafoe or Donaldson could do OK with the vocal home support and a reasonable draw. I'll be analysing the draws massive next week :lol:.

To be honest, my knowledge of women's tennis is a lot stronger than men's. Strange one is RBA, he's 29 now but has only really been on the grand slam stage for 4 or 5 years so is probably a 'young' 29, seems a solid enough player. Carreno has had some notable wins and tournaments this year. I've not really heard of the young lad, but always interested in the next generation coming through. It will be grim if the likes of Anderson, Querrey, Berdych remain going deep when the big four are injured or retired.
I think he's the most dull player I've ever seen. He gets talked about as a grand slam winner but in the best of 5, the top players will pick his serve off eventually. I don't particularly like big servers although to contradict myself, I love Karlovic.

Watching it but it is a rather boring match so far. Not sure the people in the stands are even alive.

I've got a stream up very much in the background to being on here. I've got Mugu-Keys on the telly and that is a better game with constant breaks although Mugu has just taken 5 of the last 6 games to win the first set 6-4. Konta and then Giorgi are on the same court as Caroline so they'll all just follow on.

It's a bit like a mini 'Manic Monday' at Wimbledon today with 8 men last 16 games and 8 women last 16 matches, plus the doubles as well. Hard to keep up. :lol:. There is one more women's Premier event next week but nowt really for the men and pretty much all the 'stars' and favourites will be having next week off before the Open starts a week on Monday.

I've got a stream up very much in the background to being on here. I've got Mugu-Keys on the telly and that is a better game with constant breaks although Mugu has just taken 5 of the last 6 games to win the first set 6-4. Konta and then Giorgi are on the same court as Caroline so they'll all just follow on.

It's a bit like a mini 'Manic Monday' at Wimbledon today with 8 men last 16 games and 8 women last 16 matches, plus the doubles as well. Hard to keep up. :lol:. There is one more women's Premier event next week but nowt really for the men and pretty much all the 'stars' and favourites will be having next week off before the Open starts a week on Monday.

They just talked on the Danish channel about why Azarenka won't be playing in the US Open. Her American husband wants custody of their child who was born only last December. And while the court case is on-going she isn't allowed to leave California. What a mess that sounds. She had only just returned to the game as well.

They just talked on the Danish channel about why Azarenka won't be playing in the US Open. Her American husband wants custody of their child who was born only last December. And while the court case is on-going she isn't allowed to leave California. What a mess that sounds. She had only just returned to the game as well.

Didn't realise she was officially out of the Open. That's why she has pulled out of a couple of build up tournaments these past couple of weeks like Stanford where she was given a wildcard. She announced she was releasing a statement yesterday but wasn't out before i went to bed so guessing that was what it was.

Comfortable win in the end for Caroline. Barty did have to play 4 games just to reach this round, including qualifiers on both Saturday and Sunday whereas Caroline, despite her busy schedule last week, had only one Cincy match before this one. I guess yesterday's big win over Venus in 3 sets might have had an effect emotionally and physically as well. That's 2 very good straight set wins for Woz though.

Keys-Mugu has just gone into a decider and Konta-Cibulkova just about to start.

Back