SMB film thread 2024

It follows

An std summons a demon who will slowly follow and eventually kill you. Cue creepy scenes and people bucking to save their lives.

Solid 7.5 out of ten

Yakuza Apocalypse

A wtf is going on type of film described by IMDB as a comedy horror but which I’d describe as neither. Fairly straight forward with a one or two strange moments in the first half before going off the deep end in the second half, where any fluidity to the narrative goes out of the window.

Vampires, a woman suddenly and randomly projecting puss from her ears who believes you can grow humans from plants by watering them with said puss. A master assassin in a frog costume who turns out to be half man/half frog beneath it. A fella dressed as a 17th century New England witch finder with a miniature coffin strapped to his back. A bunch of middle aged submissive blokes in a knitting club.

As unhinged a Takashi Miike film as I’ve seen.

Last edited:
Perfect Days (2023), dir Wim Wenders. 10/10
Film about a cleaner of public toilets in Tokyo. Slow, gentle, and - by the end - life-affirming. Brilliant soundtrack, too.

Great movie but you're not allowed to have 10/10. It's not possible to have a perfect movie. That's what over been told! ;)

Coup de Chance (2023), dir Woody Allen 7/10
Possibly Woody's last film, it's entirely in French with subtitles. Nowhere near the level of his masterpieces - eg Crimes and Misdemeanours - but up there with the best of his later work.

Ive just seen a poster for Pop-Flix about films at Pop Recs, it had the Sunderland Shorts Film Festival logo.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Is the festival on this year?

Had an hour and half to kill yesterday evening so wanted to watch something short and snappy. Found this low budget French film 'Full Time' on iPlayer and really enjoyed it...

Only 80 minutes, all spent following the increasingly desperate struggles of a single mother trying to hold down a full time job, having to commute into Paris during a transport worker's strike. Gripping in a rather uncomfortable, nervy way. Excellent performance from Laure Calamy - aka Noémie from 'Call My Agent'.

7.5/10

New Roadhouse - it was OK but not sure it needed a revisit. 5/10

Anatomy of a Fall - Study of an death, was it murder, accident or suicide? You aren't given enough evidence to decide but you are given plenty of exposition and this is more of a view on a number of characters associated with the incident. Very absorbing 7/10

The Covenant - Guy Ritchie movie about a yank soldier and an interpreter in Afghanistan, based on a true story. For me, not long enough was spent on the journey of over 100kms through rough terrain but the movie does build up a few characters quite well. Worth a watch even if you are not too fussed on Afghanistan-set movies. 6.5/10

All the above were on Prime, I decided to switch it on again to watch Fallout!

Late Night with the Devil [2023] 6/10
A live broadcast of a late-night talk show in 1977 goes horribly wrong, unleashing evil into the nation’s living rooms.

Decent. The 70's set-design was great. Not really scary, though. Plenty left unexplored.

Late Night with the Devil [2023] 6/10
A live broadcast of a late-night talk show in 1977 goes horribly wrong, unleashing evil into the nation’s living rooms.

Decent. The 70's set-design was great. Not really scary, though. Plenty left unexplored.
Watched it last night too. Mayhem at the end :lol:

Back