Smart meters, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it should be.
Just a bit unnerving that dilutees can go into peoples homes and install stuff when they are not fully qualified tradesmen.
But I am "old school", and I do realise that these days a lot of people are doing jobs with just a "course " under their belts.
I think you’ll probably find a better quality of install in general from meter fitters than electricians. An electrician technically isn’t qualified to work on a meter install. This results in some bizarre scenarios were rather than cut the seals on the mains and meter and fit new tails the sparky will cut the tails while they are still live and fit the new tails to the old with choc blocks. Exposed lives, loose terminals, tails too short for the terminal all very common from Sparky’s as no one follows up on there work.

Used to do debt and Rev pro warrants was a real eye opener like :lol:
Knew a lad who did locksmith work for energy companies, a bloke put a gun in his face down boro when he was trying to get into his property. It properly fucked him up, turned to drink lost his licence etc then sadly commited suicide a good few years later.

I’m not saying that at all. What im saying and this is the last time. There are 30 million properties on the network. The engineer up above stated they had fitted 500000 during covid. That leaves 29 million 500000 potential properties that will get either first or second gen smart meters installed.

the availability is not fully prepared to deliver a potential 29 million 500000 meters fully operational and installed.

that’s my point, I was replying to someone who had a first gen meter installed and told him to change supplier for smart function he would need a second gen meter,
If you are on a one rate credit meter smets 2 will be available. If you are on 1 rate pay go meter smets 2 will be available to most people. If you are on a 2 rate credit many suppliers will be able to fit smets 2. After that for more complicated tariffs like thtc in Scotland you may be waiting. But in general if you have a standard meter type you will get smets 2. I don’t know if this is where the confusion lies as you are right smets 2 isn’t available for every tariff or meter type.

If you are on a one rate credit meter smets 2 will be available. If you are on 1 rate pay go meter smets 2 will be available to most people. If you are on a 2 rate credit many suppliers will be able to fit smets 2. After that for more complicated tariffs like thtc in Scotland you may be waiting. But in general if you have a standard meter type you will get smets 2. I don’t know if this is where the confusion lies as you are right smets 2 isn’t available for every tariff or meter type.
Thank you, you’ve explained it here in the last section. I’m going to get one but not at the present time. Next summer or so I will make an appointment for an installation

how long does it take to change them? does the supplier get a reading from the meter or the in home display unit ?
1 to 2 hours depending on what needs doing. Reads come from the meters themselves you don’t have to have the display if you don’t want it. Engineer will thank you for turning it down as it’s one less thing to do :lol:
Knew a lad who did locksmith work for energy companies, a bloke put a gun in his face down boro when he was trying to get into his property. It properly fucked him up, turned to drink lost his licence etc then sadly commited suicide a good few years later.
Grim. Can get a bit heated at times but quite enjoyed the warrant work was always an interesting day!

Last edited:
1 to 2 hours depending on what needs doing. Reads come from the meters themselves you don’t have to have the display if you don’t want it. Engineer will thank you for turning it down as it’s one less thing to do :lol:

Grim. Can get a bit heated at times but quite enjoyed the warrant work was always an interesting day!
Cheers Rusty

Your inside info is crap then. Second gen smets 2 that swap supplier have been getting installed for best part of 2 years.

It’s one thing you installing them but it’s quite another having the meter and the suppliers system singing off the same hymn sheet.

Thank you, you’ve explained it here in the last section. I’m going to get one but not at the present time. Next summer or so I will make an appointment for an installation
Yeah I finally got what you were getting at but I would say smets 2 will be available to the majority of people there aren’t that many people on complicated tariffs on the grand scheme of things.

Got them in a couple of years ago.

Can't say it's been any cheaper, we pay the same. They still estimate and set our direct debit based on previous usage. The only difference is that I don't have to put a reading in online every quarter like I did beforehand.

Not particularly worried about changing supplier in future cos it's not like we'd be missing out on much losing the smart functionality.

Yeah I finally got what you were getting at but I would say smets 2 will be available to the majority of people there aren’t that many people on complicated tariffs on the grand scheme of things.
Agreed. I used to be right involved with tariffs, no longer thank god,

Got them in a couple of years ago.

Can't say it's been any cheaper, we pay the same. They still estimate and set our direct debit based on previous usage. The only difference is that I don't have to put a reading in online every quarter like I did beforehand.

Not particularly worried about changing supplier in future cos it's not like we'd be missing out on much losing the smart functionality.
So if you have one why are you paying estimated useage?

It’s one thing you installing them but it’s quite another having the meter and the suppliers system singing off the same hymn sheet.
I would say that smets 2 roll out at the start about 2 years ago was horrific for fitters. Constant problems. Far better now. Suppliers should all be accessing the dcci were all meters are registered too rather than to there own systems like smets 1 was.

Used to do debt and Rev pro warrants was a real eye opener like :lol:
I’d also add if the person before you hasn’t done the job correctly on the elec. you disconnect it and tell them to call an electrician. Then it’s back to four wires. Obviously over simplified like. As you say gas is the one that does big damage. Seen some shocking appliances on installs. Amazes me some people’s attitudes to gas in there home. Ah I’ve smelt gas for years never been a problem or I just paint over the black marks every 6 months :lol:

Why aye if you cant sort it yourself.
Honestly you could write a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back