Smart meters, any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don’t know why you’re shocked by that. Obviously we test for polarity and that voltages at the mains are correct and that there’s no obvious damage to the mains or customers consumer unit. We upgrade any old or dangerous cables but essentially outside of the testing it’s a live in and out and a neutral in and out.
👍 😂

15 million smart meters have been installed.
12 million are SMETS1 meters which will need to be replaced in the next few years.
They started the roll out in 2011 there is best part of a decades smets 1 meters out there.

I get the remote meter readings but are people really going to change their energy consumption habits ?

I don’t think anyone intentionally wastes expensive energy unless money isn’t an issue or someone else is footing the bill.

We’re a right set of untrusting buggers in this country. Have a free smart meter, it means you won’t have to take readings anymore. No, I don’t trust them
Have a vaccine so you won’t die.
No I don’t trust them
I happily got mine fitted and I’ve told my new supplier they aren’t getting any readings off me until they learn to read them. I was told they were universal when I got them.

I get the remote meter readings but are people really going to change their energy consumption habits ?

I don’t think anyone intentionally wastes expensive energy unless money isn’t an issue or someone else is footing the bill.
That display was just a gimmick to make people buy into the smart meter idea. I don’t think anyone actually looks at them regularly

It does in the sense of the meter working only for a particular supplier. You are free to transfer anytime you want, but you’ll have to get the smart meter removed and replaced by your new supplier.

that’s the problem and I’ve inside info on this, is all I will say. Until the second generation is rolled out so all smart meters are compatible no matter what supplier you choose, then you have to go through what I said above
What a load of rubbish great inside info. Have had my second generation one for over a year now so can easily switch and not need a new meter

Most people don't care. I switch things on when I need them. I turn them off if I remember.

Interesting.🤔
So what degree of engineering expertise does it take to fit an Electric meter, if you're not electrically biased?
Gas is self explanatory to me, gas fitters are quite easily trained up if you have a basic engineering background (plus you can smell it if there's a leak ;)) - but electricity is something that really shouldn't be fucked about with by a dilutee/non tradesman IMHO.

Its a common misconception imo youre only dealing with four wires if people before you have done their jobs correctly.
Ill put it this way to become qualified gas is 85% of the course. CO can kill people within minutes, gas leaks can blow buildings up and rows of houses. Its a heavily regulated industry for a reason. I was of the same opinion of you.

What a load of rubbish great inside info. Have had my second generation one for over a year now so can easily switch and not need a new meter
No idea what you are saying here. Not everyone has a meter like you

what I said that second generation is needed to transfer suppliers without needing a new smart meter. My info on this was that they are not fully available as of yet, as can be seen on this thread as there is around 30 million properties to supply on the network

basically hang fire with the meter you have until at least covid is over and more second gen meters are available

not really confusing? In the mean time to save 10% on bills knock your thermostat down 2 degrees

you are in a lucky position, millions aren’t

Last edited:
No idea what you are saying here. Not everyone has a meter like you

what I said that second generation is needed to transfer suppliers without needing a new smart meter. My info on this was that they are not fully available as of yet, as can be seen on this thread as there is around 30 million properties to supply on the network

basically hang fire with the meter you have until at least covid is over and more second gen meters are available

not really confusing? In the mean time to save 10% on bills knock your thermostat down 2 degrees
You said they are not available and I had no issues at all with getting one over a year ago. So not sure how you can say they are not available. ITK though

Its a common misconception imo youre only dealing with four wires if people before you have done their jobs correctly.
Ill put it this way to become qualified gas is 85% of the course. CO can kill people within minutes, gas leaks can blow buildings up and rows of houses. Its a heavily regulated industry for a reason. I was of the same opinion of you.
And so it should be.
Just a bit unnerving that dilutees can go into peoples homes and install stuff when they are not fully qualified tradesmen.
But I am "old school", and I do realise that these days a lot of people are doing jobs with just a "course " under their belts.

You said they are not available and I had no issues at all with getting one over a year ago. So not sure how you can say they are not available. ITK though
I didn’t, I said they are not fully available to everyone in any location in this country. That’s a fact. You are fortunate that is not the case for you.

I know this because I know someone who has developed the second gen meters that are coming. Take that how you wish but I’ll rely on this thanks

i was advising someone who was getting an original installed and warned that to transfer supplier, he would then have to get another installed.

now that’s my whack. I’ve had my say. Good luck

Last edited:
I’d also add if the person before you hasn’t done the job correctly on the elec. you disconnect it and tell them to call an electrician. Then it’s back to four wires. Obviously over simplified like. As you say gas is the one that does big damage. Seen some shocking appliances on installs. Amazes me some people’s attitudes to gas in there home. Ah I’ve smelt gas for years never been a problem or I just paint over the black marks every 6 months :lol:

I didn’t, I said they are not fully available to everyone in any location in this country. That’s a fact. You are fortunate that is not the case for you.

I know this because I know someone who has developed the second gen meters that are coming. Take that how you wish but I’ll rely on this thanks
You keep saying the second generation meters that are coming as if they are not here yet?

You keep saying the second generation meters that are coming as if they are not here yet?
I’m not saying that at all. What im saying and this is the last time. There are 30 million properties on the network. The engineer up above stated they had fitted 500000 during covid. That leaves 29 million 500000 potential properties that will get either first or second gen smart meters installed.

the availability is not fully prepared to deliver a potential 29 million 500000 meters fully operational and installed.

that’s my point, I was replying to someone who had a first gen meter installed and told him to change supplier for smart function he would need a second gen meter,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back