Smart meters, any good?

I'm just about to renew my electric/gas contract, and usually just go with the best deal available on a comparison site.

Some of the better deals are only if you take a smart meter too. Apart from the slightly lower cost, what other advantages do they offer? I don't really see the point in them
They just save you having to send in a meter reading.
That's it.
Monitoring how much it costs to boil a kettle etc just drives you to distraction.
An example here of what I’ve stated. Until the second generation come out, I’m holding fire to get one.
Theyre out now i believe

I've never seen the point of a smart meter.
Before I got one I used to forget to send my meter readings in and my supplier was estimating my bills and trying to bump my payments up all the time. Now it’s all automated it’s much easier and if I log into my account I can see an accurate graph of my usage. From my point of view that’s the benefit.

The little display thing is a bit pointless mind.

end of estimated bills and the ability to see what uses the most electricity and to what cost.

also be aware that some companies have meters which will only work whilst you are with them as your supplier. they are going to roll out meters which will be compatible for all companies but with covid that maybe delayed.

one way of knocking 10% of your annual bill is to turn down your thermostat 2 degrees
They've been saying that for 3 years. Can't believe they still haven't got them yet.

It does in the sense of the meter working only for a particular supplier. You are free to transfer anytime you want, but you’ll have to get the smart meter removed and replaced by your new supplier.

that’s the problem and I’ve inside info on this, is all I will say. Until the second generation is rolled out so all smart meters are compatible no matter what supplier you choose, then you have to go through what I said above
You don't have to get the meter replaced if you move, it just becomes a normal meter.

I'm just about to renew my electric/gas contract, and usually just go with the best deal available on a comparison site.

Some of the better deals are only if you take a smart meter too. Apart from the slightly lower cost, what other advantages do they offer? I don't really see the point in them
Great. Until you change supplier and they become dumb. Even the latest generation which was supposed to be compatible with all suppliers is shite. Mine became dumb also and i have to send manual readings in. Lots of talk to the supplier and they just fob you off..

To sum up, dont bother.

We had one installed a couple of weeks ago. After being constantly harangued by Npower I caved in.
I have to say, in the 5 days the fucker actually worked it was a real eye opener seeing the usage spikes when using certain household appliances.

It should be obvious but anything that has an element in order to heat up is an absolute drain.
Couldn't bieve how much my 4 slices of morning toast cost to prepare.

Anyhow, the meter display is sat doing nowt because it fails to connect to the box.

Csnt be arsed to ring them to be honest.

Last edited:
Before I got one I used to forget to send my meter readings in and my supplier was estimating my bills and trying to bump my payments up all the time. Now it’s all automated it’s much easier and if I log into my account I can see an accurate graph of my usage. From my point of view that’s the benefit.

The little display thing is a bit pointless mind.
I send them in twice a year. I end up in credit usually.

Long term, smart meters can be more useful than just saving you from sending in meter readings.

Imagine in 5 years time when everyone is looking for an electric car.
A smart meter will allow electric companies to give you complex deals such as:
"Charge my car when the cost of electricity drops below 2p/kWh".
"Sell my car's charge back to the grid when the price offered is over 10p/kWh"
or, instead of a single rate or a dual rate (like economy 7) you can have unlimited rates at different times of the day or week. The company can offer a complex range of deals and the customer can choose whichever best suits.

They also help the electric companies to plan better as they can monitor the demand in real to help plan and reduce overheads.

Long term, smart meters can be more useful than just saving you from sending in meter readings.

Imagine in 5 years time when everyone is looking for an electric car.
A smart meter will allow electric companies to give you complex deals such as:
"Charge my car when the cost of electricity drops below 2p/kWh".
"Sell my car's charge back to the grid when the price offered is over 10p/kWh"
or, instead of a single rate or a dual rate (like economy 7) you can have unlimited rates at different times of the day or week. The company can offer a complex range of deals and the customer can choose whichever best suits.

They also help the electric companies to plan better as they can monitor the demand in real to help plan and reduce overheads.
Agreed. But right now?

Back