Smart meters, any good?

Had the first version for a few years and about 4 different suppliers. I've had to input readings online every month so only plug the meter in when I need a reading. Apparently the next version will be much better but we'll see. No idea why I cannot leave it plugged in and not have to bother about readings, surely that was a key objective of phase 1?

We had one installed a couple of weeks ago. After being constantly harangued by Npower I caved in.
I have to say, in the 5 days the fucker actually worked it was a real eye opener seeing the usage spikes when using certain household appliances.

It should be obvious but anything that has an element in order to heat up is an absolute drain.
Couldn't bieve how much my 4 slices of morning toast cost to prepare.

Anyhow, the meter display is sat doing nowt because it fails to connect to the box.

Csnt be arsed to ring them to be honest.
4 slices of toast ya pig?!

Nope. All the smart meter engineers i know are from gas backgrounds or new to the game.
Interesting.🤔
So what degree of engineering expertise does it take to fit an Electric meter, if you're not electrically biased?
Gas is self explanatory to me, gas fitters are quite easily trained up if you have a basic engineering background (plus you can smell it if there's a leak ;)) - but electricity is something that really shouldn't be fucked about with by a dilutee/non tradesman IMHO.

Interesting.🤔
So what degree of engineering expertise does it take to fit an Electric meter, if you're not electrically biased?
Gas is self explanatory to me, gas fitters are quite easily trained up if you have a basic engineering background (plus you can smell it if there's a leak ;)) - but electricity is something that really shouldn't be fucked about with by a dilutee/non tradesman IMHO.
Why, I do all my own. Piece of piss. I am a tradesman TBF, just not a sparky.

Never fancied a smart meter, i guess they would rumble me when i fit the sub meter i bought from screwfix for 3 months of the winter period 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It does in the sense of the meter working only for a particular supplier. You are free to transfer anytime you want, but you’ll have to get the smart meter removed and replaced by your new supplier.

that’s the problem and I’ve inside info on this, is all I will say. Until the second generation is rolled out so all smart meters are compatible no matter what supplier you choose, then you have to go through what I said above
Your inside info is crap then. Second gen smets 2 that swap supplier have been getting installed for best part of 2 years.

Your inside info is crap then. Second gen smets 2 that swap supplier have been getting installed for best part of 2 years.
Fair points but I do have inside on this from the very top. Ive not seen any in my area as of yet. I know you are an engineer as this has been discussed before,

they are not widely installed across the network as of yet. Let’s not get into petty argument over nothing.

Why, I do all my own. Piece of piss. I am a tradesman TBF, just not a sparky.
Why?
Because the installers are working in somebody else's kip.
Fair enough doing sparky work in your own abode if you think you are capable, but any electrical work like f***ing around with power supplies should be done by a professional IMHO.

Fair points but I do have inside on this from the very top. Ive not seen any in my area as of yet. I know you are an engineer as this has been discussed before,

they are not widely installed across the network as of yet. Let’s not get into petty argument over nothing.
It’s pretty much all we fit all day everyday for the second biggest supplier in the country. And that’s nationwide.

Why?
Fair enough doing sparky work in your own abode if you think you are capable, but any electrical work like f***ing around with power supplies should be done by a professional IMHO.
Assuming they’re adequately trained. I got one fitted years ago and it looks fairly straight forward. Don’t use the smart bit anymore.

It’s pretty much all we fit all day everyday for the second biggest supplier in the country. And that’s nationwide.
I’m not doubting you here, I know you are a fitter as I said above. But we are talking about 30 million properties across the network here.

so until they are fully confirmed as operating widely, I choose not to install. This has been told to me by a designer of the meters thenselves.

designer is a crap source? You may think that, which is no problem.

Why?
We do have to sit a metering based qualification. All we are allowed to work on is the meter. It’s basically 4 cables there’s no need to be a sparky. Your assessed every 3 years and have to resit your exam and depending on the Mpan you work in also need to be authrised by that areas Dno to work on there network. Your constantly followed by auditors having your work inspected either retrospectively or onsite. I’d argue there’s more scrutiny on our work than there is Sparky’s judging by some things I see left by electricians.

We do have to sit a metering based qualification. All we are allowed to work on is the meter. It’s basically 4 cables there’s no need to be a sparky. Your assessed every 3 years and have to resit your exam and depending on the Mpan you work in also need to be authrised by that areas Dno to work on there network. Your constantly followed by auditors having your work inspected either retrospectively or onsite. I’d argue there’s more scrutiny on our work than there is Sparky’s judging by some things I see left by electricians.
:eek:

I’m not doubting you here, I know you are a fitter as I said above. But we are talking about 30 million properties across the network here.

so until they are fully confirmed as operating widely, I choose not to install. This has been told to me by a designer of the meters thenselves.

designer is a crap source? You may think that, which is no problem.
We’ve just fitted 500,000 in the last 6 months during a pandemic.

We’ve just fitted 500,000 in the last 6 months during a pandemic.
Which is brilliant, still around 29 million 500000 to go.

im believing you completely here but I also have my own very knowledgable source. That’s all I’m saying here

I don’t know why you’re shocked by that. Obviously we test for polarity and that voltages at the mains are correct and that there’s no obvious damage to the mains or customers consumer unit. We upgrade any old or dangerous cables but essentially outside of the testing it’s a live in and out and a neutral in and out.

Back