Smart meter advice

From what I understand from my daughter who’s a big cheese at Landis and Gyr in Manchester where they manufacture them, the next generation will be able to vary the tariffs through the day, so in theory you could be charged a higher rate at peak time than off peak,
The other thing to remember is if you get in difficulty with your bills they can cut you off at the touch of a button

Decent money for the work I do get a decent bonus after 4 year too and finished early most days only do 3 or 4 houses a day max. Any ID appliances just cap the meter and fuck off. If cust won’t let us we ring the grid and fuck off. You boys are probably doing alright out of the smart meter roll out when we are capping off all the appliances that have never been seen for decades! :lol:
I don’t do installing just breakdowns so I turn off plenty myself.

Last edited:

According to the rip off Britain show, once installed by your current supplier, if you change, there has to be an appointment made to get their smart meter out and your new supplier has to install their version.

Also smart meters are no good if you have solar panels installed.

Anyone had a smart meter installed had the above problems?

.. Surely it isn't rocket science to develop a generic interface and forward the details to the correct supplier .. Just look at porting your number in the mobile industry, the central database is not owned by the suppliers. I'd be surprised if this has not been factored in ..

From what I understand from my daughter who’s a big cheese at Landis and Gyr in Manchester where they manufacture them, the next generation will be able to vary the tariffs through the day, so in theory you could be charged a higher rate at peak time than off peak,
The other thing to remember is if you get in difficulty with your bills they can cut you off at the touch of a button
That already happens though doesn’t it, off peak on Scottish Power being between midnight and 7am I think, like you’re going to put your dishwasher and washing machine on at those times.

The only time I’ve seen people get cutoff is if they are a liability for thieving and are gonna kill themselves or others. The energy firms still have a responsibility to check for issues in the house before they could even switch them to pre payment mode never mind cut them off. We have a whole department that deals with theft and debt and doing house visits to try and resolve or identify issues with vulnerability. The only time I can see that function being used is for business premises.

.. Surely it isn't rocket science to develop a generic interface and forward the details to the correct supplier .. Just look at porting your number in the mobile industry, the central database is not owned by the suppliers. I'd be surprised if this has not been factored in ..
It’s already been sorted the new meters are being trialled and go live in January.

That already happens though doesn’t it, off peak on Scottish Power being between midnight and 7am I think, like you’re going to put your dishwasher and washing machine on at those times.
Are you not thinking of economy 7 and 10 tariffs? They work on current credit meters. That is one issue that will be resolved with smart as some older meters use a tele switch to switch between rates and the radio signal that switches them will be getting turned off in a few years.

Are you not thinking of economy 7 and 10 tariffs? They work on current credit meters. That is one issue that will be resolved with smart as some older meters use a tele switch to switch between rates and the radio signal that switches them will be getting turned off in a few years.
I don’t know, just when the fitter said changing habits is the only way to save e.g. using off peak etc.

I don’t know, just when the fitter said changing habits is the only way to save e.g. using off peak etc.
I don’t know anything about Scottish powers rates tbf. I know British Gas used to let you pick one day a weekend to have free leccy and gas but think they’ve binned it off now.

I don’t know anything about Scottish powers rates tbf. I know British Gas used to let you pick one day a weekend to have free leccy and gas but think they’ve binned it off now.
Aye, never mentioned anything like that.

I regret switching to be fair. They won’t have my business once the deal is up.

I don’t do installing just breakdowns so I turn off plenty myself.
Ah well the repair lads will do some good business over the next 6 years ish I reckon. On the electric side NEDL are actually not replacing lads that leave the grid as they believe after the smart roll out they will need less staff as all the faults on the network will have been rectified.

Just got the Leccy one fitted today.

Went up to 33p an hour usage at one point.. About to go to bed and it's down to 9p an hour.. Dishwasher and tumbler yer on will be fun

with first utility and seem to get either a letter, email or a text message every other day asking me to ring to arrange a smart meter installation

not going to bother as seems if you switch energy company the meter is defunct

According to the rip off Britain show, once installed by your current supplier, if you change, there has to be an appointment made to get their smart meter out and your new supplier has to install their version.

Also smart meters are no good if you have solar panels installed.

Anyone had a smart meter installed had the above problems?

Stephen. I too wanted smart meters as I was getting loads of work done to new house. But after doing a bit of research on them and WIFI, Microwaves and other EMFs effects on the human body. I've decided against getting them in.

Why are the government pushing this? Is it really that important? Why are they bothering that the population get the most accurate bills? What other benefits are there of installing these?

Whole thing carried out under a Tory government.

All privatised companies under the Tories, resulting in billions of profit flying overseas to subsidise their customers at home.

It's not politics man. It's privatised companies pulling a scam, as you can lay odds, that after the initial roll out, it will cost you plenty to change a meter and supplier in the future

Spot on.

Mate, you heard owt about the health risks that come with these smart meters?

Last edited:
Smart meters save the energy companies the cost of a meter reader. If you are sensible with your power use they should not make a bit of difference. You want to save money, be sensible and switch off, don’t leave devices on stand by and fit LED light bulbs, they use only 10% of the power of incandescent bulbs. At the very least fit LEDs in your most used places. Same with appliances, get the most efficient. Smart meters are of little or no benefit to people who think anyway.

Smart meters save the energy companies the cost of a meter reader. If you are sensible with your power use they should not make a bit of difference. You want to save money, be sensible and switch off, don’t leave devices on stand by and fit LED light bulbs, they use only 10% of the power of incandescent bulbs. At the very least fit LEDs in your most used places. Same with appliances, get the most efficient. Smart meters are of little or no benefit to people who think anyway.

got mine yesterday for electric and I was intrigued.. was tickling over at about 16-17p per hour and this morning is was ticking over at 11p and hour.

put an electric radiator on to see how it chnaged and it jumped to 29p an hour.

it makes you think. My 16 year old daughter was fascinated. Has to be a good thing

Stephen. I too wanted smart meters as I was getting loads of work done to new house. But after doing a bit of research on them and WIFI, Microwaves and other EMFs effects on the human body. I've decided against getting them in.

?

so do you not use a mobile and wifi in your home.

got mine yesterday for electric and I was intrigued.. was tickling over at about 16-17p per hour and this morning is was ticking over at 11p and hour.

put an electric radiator on to see how it chnaged and it jumped to 29p an hour.

it makes you think. My 16 year old daughter was fascinated. Has to be a good thing

so do you not use a mobile and wifi in your home.

I do mate. But limit it as best I can by using wired. I made sure when got work done at the house every room had a permanent Internet port.

These new smart meters are supposedly pumping out shed loads of waves.

It's gotta have some effect doesn't it?

Thanks for that. Made me feel better about not getting them in.

Why are the government pushing this? Is it really that important? Why are they bothering that the population get the most accurate bills? What other benefits are there of installing these?

Spot on.

Mate, you heard owt about the health risks that come with these smart meters?
They just have a SIM card in that creates a WiFi hot spot that the gas and display talk to. It’s the same technology you have all over your house. Most meters are outside these days but you’ll hold a phone to the side of your head and the meter is the issue?

Back