Smart meter advice

the main reason im hanging on is because of the incompatibility between energy suppliers with the smart meters.

you would think by now the "smart" meters would all sing off the same hymn sheet, technology eh. i switch almost every year, so its a no for me.
The new meters start the beginning of next year. When you speak to your supplier check they are installing smets 2 meters

Beware if you have a burglar alarm. Came out to fit my smart meters a few weeks ago and fucked the burglar alarm. Currently going through complaints but I had to pay £85 for a new battery and to get the alarm reprogrammed.

Unsurprisingly, they are denying all responsibility.
i would too. how could turning your power off break your burglar alarm man.:lol:

That’s because it wasn’t there fault. The backup battery in your alarm was fucked before they started. Once the power had been down for 30-60 mins the alarm lost all its settings and couldn’t be reset. Genuinely nothing to do with them.
^^^ the correct answer.^^^

The new meters start the beginning of next year. When you speak to your supplier check they are installing smets 2 meters
aye, iv been getting hassled to fit one now. no thanks, il wait till the universal model is released.

How did it happen?
they turned the power off to the house for half an hour.

Last edited:
i would too. how could turning your power off break your burglar alarm man.:lol:

^^^ the correct answer.^^^

aye, iv been getting hassled to fit one now. no thanks, il wait till the universal model is released.

they turned the power off to the house for half an hour.

It worked before and it didn’t after, quite simple really.

It worked before and it didn’t after, quite simple really.
It’s a consumable item that’s goosed.

Your battery won’t last forever but you wouldn’t know it’s goosed until the supply is disconnected.

If the energy company has their whits about them they’ll admit it’s only happened since the install but it’s not they’re liability to replace it.

it was a seimens meter they offered me.

i think the lads on here have explained it, quite simple realy.
No firms are installing smets2 at the moment they are all smets1 which is the software on them not the type of meter. My firm are starting smets2 in January which have the compatibility to swap supplier and if we are I imagine all others will be rolling it out in the new year as it makes sense to switch to the new model as soon as possible.

Your battery won’t last forever but you wouldn’t know it’s goosed until the supply is disconnected.

If the energy company has their whits about them they’ll admit it’s only happened since the install but it’s not they’re liability to replace it.
a bit like a car with a dodgy battery. will run forever, till you turn it off. he just doesn't get it does he.:lol:

can we talk about timing belts instead.:cool:

Last edited:
Who is your supplier? They have probably done a software update to the in home display and it’s cocked up the display but the reads they will be receiving will be correct and it shouldn’t effect your bill.
British Gas. The chat advisor said the same but pointless having a smart meter display if it’s nit right.

British Gas. The chat advisor said the same but pointless having a smart meter display if it’s nit right.
They’ll know there is an issue and do another update to correct it. If you leave it plugged in and in range of the electric meter it will sort itself out.

I switched a fortnight ago from british gas to ovo and the bg smart meter is still going strong

I also switched from British Gas to Ovo but mine has stopped working now. Ovo said I need one of theirs but they only have appointments during working hours in December. That's my busiest time at work and I'm not taking unpaid leave to have something fitted that I'm not bothered about having, so I said to just leave it.

As a gas safe registered engineer with many years experience there is absolutely no way I would let one of there idiot fitters anywhere near my meter cupboard, bearing in mind I would be able to check the work was up to standard.
They are so far off the government targets for fitting these that they are rushing people through there training courses and letting them loose with absolutely no experience whatsoever
Experienced engineers won’t touch the jobs because as usual they want to do this as cheaply as possible and the wages are shit.

As a gas safe registered engineer with many years experience there is absolutely no way I would let one of there idiot fitters anywhere near my meter cupboard, bearing in mind I would be able to check the work was up to standard.
They are so far off the government targets for fitting these that they are rushing people through there training courses and letting them loose with absolutely no experience whatsoever
Experienced engineers won’t touch the jobs because as usual they want to do this as cheaply as possible and the wages are shit.
@Rusty

That’s not entirely true though is it?
Loads of time served gas engineers with servicing and install backgrounds at my place and on the flip side time served sparkys who have been up skilled on the gas. Loads of people in the industry move over to metering and emergency engineers for the grid as it’s an easier life and I wouldn’t call £30k basic plus OT and standby a shit wage.

Trying to start bother like? :lol:

Loads of time served gas engineers with servicing and install backgrounds at my place and on the flip side time served sparkys who have been up skilled on the gas. Loads of people in the industry move over to metering and emergency engineers for the grid as it’s an easier life and I wouldn’t call £30k basic plus OT and standby a shit wage.

Me, nnnoooooo.

I wasn’t thinking of TOFO but more your EON and there like.

I work for sse as a smart mop mate £25-30k a year is the industry standard for a dual fuel installer. It’s not rocket science either if we’re honest.
There’s always going to be exceptions to my basic premise, but I still think 25 to 30 is underpaid for the responsibility your expected to have.

In my opinion, smart meters only provide benefits at this stage to the energy company. If you didn't know that using a kettle or an iron costs money then I guess a smart meter might help you...
In the future they might benefit the customer (by giving you cheaper energy at certain times of day for example) but these are all "possible future benefits" and not guaranteed. Given the current smart meters aren't compatible would you bet on that?

The scheme is way over budget and behind schedule and will not deliver the benefits benefits it was supposed to. I have declined their offers to "upgrade"...

There’s always going to be exceptions to my basic premise, but I still think 25 to 30 is underpaid for the responsibility your expected to have.
Decent money for the work I do get a decent bonus after 4 year too and finished early most days only do 3 or 4 houses a day max. Any ID appliances just cap the meter and fuck off. If cust won’t let us we ring the grid and fuck off. You boys are probably doing alright out of the smart meter roll out when we are capping off all the appliances that have never been seen for decades! :lol:

Back