Smart meter advice

Good point. Nowt.
In that case it’s probably fine. Basically the same as a power cut when it’s getting changed.

It'll start blaring and if the batery isn't up to scratch (which you haven't way of testing) it will ruin it. The energy company will then say this isn't their problem and you need to pay to have the alarm reset and for a new battery.

In short, don't get a smart meter.
It’s not there fault that you havent maintained your alarm system. If I go to a property and the boiler is fucked I cut them off I don’t repair it it’s not our responsibility. I know energy firms are seen as dicks and sometimes rightly so but the engineer in this instance really hasn’t done anything wrong.

Last edited:

Beware if you have a burglar alarm. Came out to fit my smart meters a few weeks ago and fucked the burglar alarm. Currently going through complaints but I had to pay £85 for a new battery and to get the alarm reprogrammed.

Unsurprisingly, they are denying all responsibility.

How did it happen?

It’s normally not a problem tbh. I’ve had the same thing happen to me once before. If I see an alarm system in the house I normally check they know the pin before I start but don’t advise it could Cause issues. At the end of the day we aren’t alarm installers I know next to fuck all about them.

Just because it isn't normally a problem doesn't mean it isn't always going to be a problem. They need to be telling people in advance and on the day there is a risk.

The guy who came out to install our meters has told the complaints team he knew something was wrong with the alarm, why didn't he say anything to me? Second, he said I inputted the code to silence the alarm which I didn't and couldn't have done as when I went put the alarm on later that day the keypad was totally dead. Lies and more lies.

In that case it’s probably fine. Basically the same as a power cut when it’s getting changed.

It’s not there fault that you havent maintained your alarm system. If I go to a property and the boiler is fucked I cut them off I don’t repair it it’s not our responsibility. I know energy firms are seen as dicks and sometimes rightly so but the engineer in this instance really hasn’t done anything wrong.

It's not my fault I haven't maintained the alarm system of a house I bought two months ago?

The alarm was in perfect working order when he arrived, it was fucked after he left, your boiler analogy is totally wrong if the boiler was fucked when you arrived.

Tell me how I have fucked the alarm system here?

Last edited:
We had someone out to our old house that we are renting out which has a smart meter in, and he reckoned that some suppliers used the same technology so the smart meter could still be used if you switched between them. he was from ovo, and i'm sure he mentioned npower and edf that were 2 others you could switch to, but i'm not sure i believed him.

Just because it isn't normally a problem doesn't mean it isn't always going to be a problem. They need to be telling people in advance and on the day there is a risk.

The guy who came out to install our meters has told the complaints team he knew something was wrong with the alarm, why didn't he say anything to me? Second, he said I inputted the code to silence the alarm which I didn't and couldn't have done as when I went put the alarm on later that day the keypad was totally dead. Lies and more lies.

It's not my fault I haven't maintained the alarm system of a house I bought two months ago?

The alarm was in perfect working order when he arrived, it was fucked after he left, your boiler analogy is totally wrong if the boiler was fucked when you arrived.

The internal battery will have been fucked before he arrived but there’s no way to tell it’s an issue till the power goes off. We aren’t trained to inspect people’s alarms we know fuck all about them. He won’t have even touched the alarm during the install so how can it possibly have been his fault? The same thing would have happened if you had a power cut whose fault would it be then?

We had someone out to our old house that we are renting out which has a smart meter in, and he reckoned that some suppliers used the same technology so the smart meter could still be used if you switched between them. he was from ovo, and i'm sure he mentioned npower and edf that were 2 others you could switch to, but i'm not sure i believed him.
They don’t. We use the same meters as eon and there’s don’t swap over to us and vice Versa.

The internal battery will have been fucked before he arrived but there’s no way to tell it’s an issue till the power goes off. We aren’t trained to inspect people’s alarms we know fuck all about them. He won’t have even touched the alarm during the install so how can it possibly have been his fault? The same thing would have happened if you had a power cut whose fault would it be then?

They don’t. We use the same meters as eon and there’s don’t swap over to us and vice Versa.

No, the battery and alarm system was working fine (so clearly not fucked) until he shut the power off, that is my point. That risk should be advised to customers in advance as there is no way of checking.

A power cut is totally different to someone shutting off the power manually. Can you not see that if I was advised of the risk in advance (which you and the energy companies are clearly aware of) I wouldn't have went ahead with the installation. I didn't ask them to inspect my alarm, I don't think it is unreasonable to be advised of potential detrimental effects to my property if you are going to undertake some work.

It's no different to a car mechanic doing a piece of work i.e. cambelt change and not advising you of the risk to the existing water pump should you change the cambelt.

Last edited:
No, the battery and alarm system was working fine (so clearly not fucked) until he shut the power off, that is my point. That risk should be advised to customers in advance as there is no way of checking.

A power cut is totally different to someone shutting off the power manually. Can you not see that if I was advised of the risk in advance (which you and the energy companies are clearly aware of) I wouldn't have went ahead with the installation. I didn't ask them to inspect my alarm, I don't think it is unreasonable to be advised of detrimental effects to my property if you are going to undertake some work.

It's no different to a car mechanic doing a piece of work i.e. cambelt change and not advising you of the risk to the existing water pump should you change the cambelt.
Alarms are meant to be serviced around every 2 years you wouldn’t complain if your cam belt broke after ignoring the service intervals. Just be thankful you didn’t experience a power cut in the middle of the night and have the alarm blaring all night till someone could come out and replace the battery. The lad hasn’t done nowt wrong and your causing him a world of shite at work because you want your alarm that had a fault already fixed by the energy firm. It’s issues like this that mean fitters like me don’t help customers out as much as we would have in the past as they are all nice in the house and as soon as your out the door they are on the phone for compo.

Alarms are meant to be serviced around every 2 years you wouldn’t complain if your cam belt broke after ignoring the service intervals. Just be thankful you didn’t experience a power cut in the middle of the night and have the alarm blaring all night till someone could come out and replace the battery. The lad hasn’t done nowt wrong and your causing him a world of shite at work because you want your alarm that had a fault already fixed by the energy firm. It’s issues like this that mean fitters like me don’t help customers out as much as we would have in the past as they are all nice in the house and as soon as your out the door they are on the phone for compo.

You are missing the point, the company should be advising people that smart meter installations can have a detrimental effect on their property.

If they had been upfront from the off (which they claim to have been but weren't) I wouldn't have had the smart meters fitted.

I've already had the alarm reprogrammed and paid for it out my own pocket.

You are missing the point, the company should be advising people that smart meter installations can have a detrimental effect on their property.

If they had been upfront from the off (which they claim to have been but weren't) I wouldn't have had the smart meters fitted.

I've already had the alarm reprogrammed and paid for it out my own pocket.
All sorts of things could have caused your issues though it’s not down to the fact that a smart meter was installed it’s the fact the battery was already knackered. If a sparky had come to wire something up and knocked the fuse board off would you want him to pay to fix your alarm? If the power in the house tripped the same thing would have happened, power cut the same.

I’ll give you another example. If I turn of someone’s back boiler to change their gas meter and they have decided not to service it for the last decade and when I go to relight it either A the thermocouple now won’t hold the gas valve open or B the piezo ignition doesn’t work is it my fault it’s broken? All I have used is the customers controls in the way they are meant to be. Should the company pay out because that person has failed to maintain their property?

I’d also argue it’s not the jnstallers fault, a battery is a consumable item which means it has probably been goosed for years and only when the power was cut has it now become a problem as it hasn’t kept the alarm active. Not the point of the thread and if they admit liability fair play.

Must say the bloke who fitted mine was spot on. Checked things such as gas fire etc. worked and explained what he was going to do. When finished explained what happens with meter readings etc. and how the system worked.

I’d also argue it’s not the jnstallers fault, a battery is a consumable item which means it has probably been goosed for years and only when the power was cut has it now become a problem as it hasn’t kept the alarm active. Not the point of the thread and if they admit liability fair play.

Must say the bloke who fitted mine was spot on. Checked things such as gas fire etc. worked and explained what he was going to do. When finished explained what happens with meter readings etc. and how the system worked.
That’s all part of the smart installers code of practice(smicop) and should be done every install. All gas appliances need checking as they are the last gas safe registered engineer on sight they are responsible for any obviously dangerous appliances. My advice to anyone wanting one installed is to hold of till January and the energy companies will be rolling out the smets 2 meters which are compatible with all suppliers and will only need changing at the end of there scheduled life which is around 10 years

That’s all part of the smart installers code of practice(smicop) and should be done every install. All gas appliances need checking as they are the last gas safe registered engineer on sight they are responsible for any obviously dangerous appliances. My advice to anyone wanting one installed is to hold of till January and the energy companies will be rolling out the smets 2 meters which are compatible with all suppliers and will only need changing at the end of there scheduled life which is around 10 years
Never told me that the bugger. :lol:

Never told me that the bugger. :lol:
They wouldn’t. My firm are only booking appointments with customers that are ringing in and not chasing people with letters or calls as they don’t really want to fit the current meters. Or at least that’s why I’m told we are quite at the minute.

Had mine installed the end of September free of charge. It was really straight forward but apparently I’ve spent this month what I spend in a year according to the display unit. Needless to say I’m on with my supplier.

Had mine installed the end of September free of charge. It was really straight forward but apparently I’ve spent this month what I spend in a year according to the display unit. Needless to say I’m on with my supplier.
Who is your supplier? They have probably done a software update to the in home display and it’s cocked up the display but the reads they will be receiving will be correct and it shouldn’t effect your bill.

According to the rip off Britain show, once installed by your current supplier, if you change, there has to be an appointment made to get their smart meter out and your new supplier has to install their version.

Also smart meters are no good if you have solar panels installed.

Anyone had a smart meter installed had the above problems?
the main reason im hanging on is because of the incompatibility between energy suppliers with the smart meters.

you would think by now the "smart" meters would all sing off the same hymn sheet, technology eh. i switch almost every year, so its a no for me.

Back