Slow Horses - AppleTV+

Based on that clip, Oldman has the wrong voice and the wrong accent IMO.
Lamb is a constant smoker (and drinker) and I'm sure he's described as having a gravelly voice.

BTW the latest book ("The Secret Hours") is excellent.

Lamb is a constant smoker (and drinker) and I'm sure he's described as having a gravelly voice.

I've seen 3 series and the books are on my list to read at some point (with an Amazon Christmas gift voucher ;) )

I assure you that Gary Oldman's character smokes and drinks constantly, belches, and farts copiously and disgustingly, insults and denigrates everybody, including and especially those under his command... but maybe looks and talks a bit like Gary Oldman with a bit of grease in his hair and and after he hasn't had a shave for a bit.

I'm sure it'll do. Actors invariably look and sound like themselves (occasionally with a different accent) unless they are doing an impersonation.

The 'Shetland' books are also on my readlist after watching the series on the telly. I fully expect the (old) lead character of 'Perez', in the books who, from the one book I have read from the series, is descended, iirc, from an ancestor that was shipwrecked from the many in the Spanish Armada that floundered in Elizabethan times is going to be a bit more swarthy and Spanish looking (even after a few generations of breeding with Shetlanders) than the Jock actor that played him on telly.

I picked up the book Slow Horses just before Christmas and absolutely loved it. I'm currently about half way through Dead Lions.

Anyone know how much of the TV show can I watch without spoiling the books?

I subscribed to Apple to watch the two series and will cancel the subscription before it renews next month. Having read all of the series except the most recent which I will wait for in paperback, Oldman's voice is the most obvious discrepancy. Physically he isn't bad but in my head I had a gone to seed, bloated Roger Allam, speaking rather like he does in Cabin Pressure, languid and condescending.

I assure you that Gary Oldman's character smokes and drinks constantly, belches, and farts copiously and disgustingly, insults and denigrates everybody, including and especially those under his command... but maybe looks and talks a bit like Gary Oldman with a bit of grease in his hair and and after he hasn't had a shave for a bit.

He looks like he smells of BO and stale fags, so at least the wardrobe department have got that bit right.

Oldman seems to be well suited for handing out dry, blunt insults.

looks like the fourth will be with us soon.
Sadly, we'll have to wait until next December. They've always shown us the trailer for the next series at the end of the current one. They shoot 2 series back-to-back over 10 months for some reason, probably because of Oldman, Lowden and Scott-Thomas's busy schedule.

Binged it and enjoyed it overall, but thought the last 2 episodes were a bit of a cop out. Still the trailer for S4 looks good.

I’m new to this but I love it. New iPhone meant free Apple TV for three months. The wife (no) wanted to watch Bad Sisters which was good but then we were at a loss as what to watch. This was number 1 and, having watched it, I can see why. It’s very good indeed. It’s what the BBCs Spooks could have been if they were allowed to swear a bit more. It’s excellent TV.

I’m new to this but I love it. New iPhone meant free Apple TV for three months. The wife (no) wanted to watch Bad Sisters which was good but then we were at a loss as what to watch. This was number 1 and, having watched it, I can see why. It’s very good indeed. It’s what the BBCs Spooks could have been if they were allowed to swear a bit more. It’s excellent TV.

I read yesterday that season 5 has been commissioned.

On top of it being a superb series, I would also like to add that “Strange Game,” the theme tune/song which Mick Jagger co-wrote with composer Daniel Pemberton and sang specifically for the series is imo one of the hauntingly best TV series theme tunes / songs for a long time and is now a regular fixture on my playlists.

Back