Skinheads

It's interesting these days discovering how the early skinheads were such a noble bunch. My memory of the early 70s was that pretty much all they were about was violence. If you had long hair and were on your own you had to keep looking over your shoulder cos given half a chance a group of them would give you a kicking. I once had a bunch of them set on me near Chilton. I knocked the ringleader ower a fence and legged it - they found me at a bus stop & one of them pulled a knife, but I was saved by an owld wife who chased him away saying she'd tell his ma. :)

It's interesting these days discovering how the early skinheads were such a noble bunch. My memory of the early 70s was that pretty much all they were about was violence. If you had long hair and were on your own you had to keep looking over your shoulder cos given half a chance a group of them would give you a kicking. I once had a bunch of them set on me near Chilton. I knocked the ringleader ower a fence and legged it - they found me at a bus stop & one of them pulled a knife, but I was saved by an owld wife who chased him away saying she'd tell his ma. :)
This is my recollection of them. Some on here are trying to state they were some kind of political movement!! Fuckin hillarious, most of the ones I knew were thick heeds from places like Farringdon and Thorney Close who were basically worky tickets.
Some I knew and were canny lads others just fancied themselves as hard men when in most cases they weren't.
Politics!?! They couldn't have deciphered Ted Heath from Harold Wilson.

This is my recollection of them. Some on here are trying to state they were some kind of political movement!! Fuckin hillarious, most of the ones I knew were thick heeds from places like Farringdon and Thorney Close who were basically worky tickets.
Some I knew and were canny lads others just fancied themselves as hard men when in most cases they weren't.
Apparently, they were mainly about looking smart and liking reggae music :lol:. They were still knocking about Sunderland when punk started and they didn't take kindly to that either. They had a mob mentality and just picked out anyone who was 'different'. Probably the most conservative youth cult ever.

Apparently, they were mainly about looking smart and liking reggae music :lol:. They were still knocking about Sunderland when punk started and they didn't take kindly to that either. They had a mob mentality and just picked out anyone who was 'different'. Probably the most conservative youth cult ever.
To be fair Sunday night at the Rink they donned their Levi Sta Prests and blazers and looked smart.
Not at as smart as me like in me Mohair suit!

How comes people associate it with racism when the whole 'movement' was the exact opposite?

The original skinheads circa 68-69 looked cool as fcuk:cool:and loved their ska music. They then in turn became suedeheads-I loved reading the Richard Allen books on the subject of

skins/suedeheads.

It was the numpties who jumped on the NF bandwagon circa 76-77 who gave that sub-genre a bad name and also became football hooligans. That's why Rock against Racism happened and you had that gig in Victoria park in London.

Looking back the 70s was a very violent decade. London at that time was graffiti and corrugated iron fencing and very bleak.

The Sweeney/Professionals is a brilliant snapshot of how it was back then

Have you got a brother called Ginge ? Or is this a different Tadge? :lol:

Turn ups an inch i see....a stickler for details I see:D

And the colour laces said something too:
Red
Yellow
Green
White

.....deciphered Ted Heath from Harold Wilson:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, when people of my age think of skinheads, it's probably the shiny green jackets, burgundy Sta-Prest (sp?)
trousers and 21 thousand hole doctor martens with coloured laces, going round causing trouble and giving random people a hard time. They also loved a bit of 'Paki bashing'.

The real skinheads were immaculately dressed and groomed, loved Ska and Reggae etc. and were anything but racist, violent bellends.

Sadly, when people of my age think of skinheads, it's probably the shiny green jackets, burgundy Sta-Prest (sp?)
trousers and 21 thousand hole doctor martens with coloured laces, going round causing trouble and giving random people a hard time. They also loved a bit of 'Paki bashing'.

The real skinheads were immaculately dressed and groomed, loved Ska and Reggae etc. and were anything but racist, violent bellends.

Indeed.

The original skinheads circa 68-69 looked cool as fcuk:cool:and loved their ska music. They then in turn became suedeheads-I loved reading the Richard Allen books on the subject of

skins/suedeheads.

It was the numpties who jumped on the NF bandwagon circa 76-77 who gave that sub-genre a bad name and also became football hooligans. That's why Rock against Racism happened and you had that gig in Victoria park in London.

Looking back the 70s was a very violent decade. London at that time was graffiti and corrugated iron fencing and very bleak.

The Sweeney/Professionals is a brilliant snapshot of how it was back then

Turn ups an inch i see....a stickler for details I see:D

And the colour laces said something too:
Red
Yellow
Green
White

.....deciphered Ted Heath from Harold Wilson:lol::lol:

Half inch I'll have you know.

Back