Signing due today - O'Brien Confirmed

Sam Wilding, Vinnie Steels and Bobby Beaumont. Never heard of any but 23’s are desperate.

Sam Wilding (West Brom Samuel Wilding | Football Stats | West Brom U21 | Age 20 | Soccer Base

Vinnie Steels (York, midfielder)

Bobby Beaumont (Wrexham, midfielder)

Sam Wilding (West Brom Samuel Wilding | Football Stats | West Brom U21 | Age 20 | Soccer Base

Vinnie Steels (York, midfielder)

Bobby Beaumont (Wrexham, midfielder)
The steels one seems to be out of date. Went to Burnley from York. Apparently came through our academy

What profile would you like
I'd prefer lads who are showing up as 'not quite good enough' for established PL cat 1 academies. These lads are usually the ones who drop down the league, recover and go on to be worth good money. Additionally, we need players who are physically able to step in, either via real pace or general stature. Otherwise they're just killing time till they get released.
Sounds like a 1950s singer
Didn't he die in the same crash as The Big Bopper?

Last edited:
I'd prefer lads who are showing up as 'not quite good enough' for established PL cat 1 academies. These lads are usually the ones who drop down the league, recover and go on to be worth good money. Additionally, we need players who are physically able to step in, either via real pace or general stature. Otherwise they're just killing time till they get released.

West Brom and Burnley fit that potentially. Wrexham not so much but I’d like to see us nicking some good kids from cat 2 academies so he might fit that profile.

Wall supporter here. Interesting looking at the comments re Aiden. His signing could be great for Sunderland, or a damp squib, depending on how he is used by the manager.

He is arguably the most naturally talented player MFC have had on their books in the last few years. He is not a 'winger'. He is a centre forward who was played on the left of midfield by Neil Harris so that he could become a third striker behind Morison and Lee Gregory. Most of his goals and most of his impressive performances came when he was playing in this position.

He is not a target man, is not a physical presence and is not especially good in the air. He is the personification of a flair player and, when in full flow, can really dominate games. But, and this will be crucial, Sunderland will only get the best out of him if they play to his strengths. So, playing him as a number 10 perhaps, getting the ball to his feet just outside or on the edge of the area and getting crosses into the six yard box. He has a real sense for being in the right place at the right time as his goals video demonstrates.

He's a good lad, works well in the community (was community player of the year this past season) and always has time for the fans.

He's probably best summed up by this video.

Good luck with Aiden and good luck for the season. Hopefully Sunderland can get their ownership issues sorted and push on for promotion.
We don't play with a 10, like you we play with a front 3 in 343 formation. With that in mind is left of the 3 his best position or would he better down the middle?

What you are suggesting is what we did with Bainbridge and Sammut - getting lads who are 21 and have been dropped by Premier League Teams. A couple of these lads are 18 and probably have reasons why it hasn't worked out - to me they are the right profile.

What you are suggesting is what we did with Bainbridge and Sammut - getting lads who are 21 and have been dropped by Premier League Teams. A couple of these lads are 18 and probably have reasons why it hasn't worked out - to me they are the right profile.
No I'm talking about one's who flunk out of top level academies but have the pace or strength that means they'll make an impact. Miles away from blancmange players like Sammut or Bainbridge.

Back