Signing due today - O'Brien Confirmed

He's a major coup for us at this level and there are one or two Championship clubs scratching their heads on how they missed him.

People need to look past his goalscorer record as it doesn't reflect his ability as a player, because he's been played out of position. Millwall fans adore him and he's only surplus to requirements because they've done so well under Rowett, narrowly missing out on the playoffs. He knows what it takes to get out of this league and has bags of experience.

The fans are going to love him. He's going to be a real cult hero here, and he'll be awesome at this level.
Here’s hoping.

People need to look past his goalscorer record as it doesn't reflect his ability as a player, because he's been played out of position. Millwall fans adore him and he's only surplus to requirements because they've done so well under Rowett, narrowly missing out on the playoffs. He knows what it takes to get out of this league and has bags of experience.

The fans are going to love him. He's going to be a real cult hero here, and he'll be awesome at this level.
Didn’t Power and Flanagan and McLaughlin x 2 and Grigg know how to get out of this league too? The problem is they all seem to forget how once they’re here. Maybe the club should realise this and stop making it our main criteria when ‘scouting’ a player.

Didn’t Power and Flanagan and McLaughlin x 2 and Grigg know how to get out of this league too? The problem is they all seem to forget how once they’re here. Maybe the club should realise this and stop making it our main criteria when ‘scouting’ a player.

Better to write them off before they've kicked a ball?

I’m guessing more like 16 / 17 years ago!!!!

:eek:

Not writing him off, but he does have a point that the club seem to love shouting about “championship experience” and “league one promotion experience” when signing a player.

I don’t give a shit about that, just want to make sure they’ve been scouted properly and we know how they’re going to fit into our style/team. Don’t feel we’ve always been too clever there. Let’s hope this is the window it changes

Last edited:
Who’s written him off? Just pointing out that ‘Championship experiences’, ‘international caps’ and ‘knowing how to get out of this division’ have proven to be flawed virtues when assessing our transfer activity to date and therefore probably shouldn’t be held up as merits when assessing new signings.

I had hoped the club may have done away with Hill and Coton’s recruitment Venn diagram. Hopefully this lad may prove to be an exception.

I've been overseas for twelve years and was down South for the prior 4/5 years...........I'm pretty sure that I was working in the North East when we played....... unreal.

That’s terrifying it’s that long ago mind. I thought 10-12 but put down 15 as a safe bet:lol:

Still remember you noticed me half way down the John Reid Road and give me a lift :)

He's a major coup for us at this level and there are one or two Championship clubs scratching their heads on how they missed him.

I hope you’re right but you’re making a few presumptions- some of that is spin not fact - yet. We shall see. So is he being signed to play centrally in your view ?

With SAFC signings in the Donald era you're far more likely to be correct if you do so.
I hope you’re right but you’re making a few presumptions- some of that is spin not fact - yet. We shall see. So is he being signed to play centrally in your view ?
The first line is evidence that this is a troll IMO. The alternative (that someone so utterly divorced from reality is in a position of influence at SAFC) is too terrifying.

Last edited:
With SAFC signings in the Donald era you're far more likely to be correct if you do so.

The first line is evidence that this is a troll IMO. The alternative (that someone so utterly divorced from reality is in a position of influence at SAFC) is too terrifying.
Something he said the other day about ‘being in the real world’ smacks of the arrogance that comes with power and money. I’m not saying there aren't some quirky people on here but I’m sure their world is real to them, maybe more real than high income business.

Apart from the fact that the poster never wrote him off at all, its ok for you to tell us he will be a cult hero and awesome before he has kicked a ball for us?

I was stating my belief based on his record. I'm not going to judge him based on what Power has or hasn't done for us because it's irrelevant.

It's a new manager in terms of signings and he knows what he's doing because he's done it before, unlike Ross. I think everyone would agree the calibre of players is much improved now. Look at Wright.

Something he said the other day about ‘being in the real world’ smacks of the arrogance that comes with power and money. I’m not saying there aren't some quirky people on here but I’m sure their world is real to them, maybe more real than high income business.
It'd be scary to think he's really in a position of power with that little grasp of football reality. That being said we've just come through 2 years of Dopey Donald playing lets pretend as chairman so basic competence and understanding of football is hardly a prerequisite.

I was stating my belief based on his record. I'm not going to judge him based on what Power has or hasn't done for us because it's irrelevant.

It's a new manager in terms of signings and he knows what he's doing because he's done it before, unlike Ross. I think everyone would agree the calibre of players is much improved now. Look at Wright.
Its also irrelevant what Wright has done then. It was you who stated that he "knows how to get out of this league" and the poster rightly gave you a couple of more examples. Not every player will settle at a club after being lauded by his previous clubs fans.
As for the manager knowing what he is doing because he has done it before, that is also therefore irrelevant using your criteria
I am more than pleased about Wright and O'Brien, but don't go overboard with your praise, which you have a tendency to do. You are telling people not to judge him before a ball is kicked, yet you constantly ram how good players are the moment they are linked with us.

It'd be scary to think he's really in a position of power with that little grasp of football reality. That being said we've just come through 2 years of Dopey Donald playing lets pretend as chairman so basic competence and understanding of football is hardly a prerequisite.
I've missed this whole Sloanes stuff. Why do people think it's him?

Cant be. I had a 3 page discussion earlier in the thread where I was told in no uncertain terms that he was a winger. No way they’d have been wrong

Back