Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

No it shouldn't, the people who want this generally want our media to be exclusively fed through the filters of media sources owned by billionaires. Or at least they've bought in to their bullshit.
No longer a supporter of the BBC. It is riddled with Conservative Party placemen.

It holds a large amount of expensive real estate. Sell it off, and use the proceeds to start again with a less London-centric 21st century public service broadcaster.

After what I have just seen on the BBC, a programme featuring Danny Dyer tracing his historical roots, the BBC needs closing down ASAP

It should be like any other tv service you have to pay for,if you want to watch BBC then you pay for it. If you don’t want to watch BBC then you shouldn’t have to pay for it.

Couple of points.

News and current affairs - tell me someone who does it as well or better
Salaries - you really think the commercial sector is cheaper?

News and current affairs? The BBC does not even try now to hide it's political bias. Many who have left have confirmed this as the default position, not that it needs confirming.

Try this. Read the Guardian every day for a month say, (a very big ask I know, but it's free as no one will pay for it) . Then compare the stories, the running order, the slant placed, and the time given to viewpoints of opposing points of view with thoseton the BBC. They are usually close to identical, and the Guardian makes no secret of it's political stance. Likewise, on Europe, where it has long since abandoned any sense of objectivity although since it has recieved millions of pounds directly from the EU perhaps that should not be surprising.

As for salaries. If they earn them in the real world the company will thrive and profit. If not they will be out; the company cannot keep losing money. The BBC faces no such discipline and hands over vast salaries with no risk at all.

News and current affairs? The BBC does not even try now to hide it's political bias. Many who have left have confirmed this as the default position, not that it needs confirming.

Try this. Read the Guardian every day for a month say, (a very big ask I know, but it's free as no one will pay for it) . Then compare the stories, the running order, the slant placed, and the time given to viewpoints of opposing points of view with thoseton the BBC. They are usually close to identical, and the Guardian makes no secret of it's political stance. Likewise, on Europe, where it has long since abandoned any sense of objectivity although since it has recieved millions of pounds directly from the EU perhaps that should not be surprising.

As for salaries. If they earn them in the real world the company will thrive and profit. If not they will be out; the company cannot keep losing money. The BBC faces no such discipline and hands over vast salaries with no risk at all.
And Sky News? You really think that isn’t more biased?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back