Should the BBC licence fee be scrapped

NHS, absolutely worth every penny but the bbc should be optional.

IMO of course, it’s been done to death but I can’t get my head around it being forced upon people if they want to watch anything at all.
It’s not about the entertainment. Look at the world we leave, absolutely bollocks stories masquerading as fact. A reputable news source is in the public good

It’s not about the entertainment. Look at the world we leave, absolutely bollocks stories masquerading as fact. A reputable news source is in the public good

Beeb an be (and are) very biased and shite at times too. All outlets can, take all,with a pinch of salt and form your own opinion. No way would I just rely on the one outlet.

They mislead as well by calling it a tv license, doesn’t help with discussions like this. Of course it covers more, but they almost try and hide the fact!

Beeb an be (and are) very biased and shite at times too. All outlets can, take all,with a pinch of salt and form your own opinion. No way would I just rely on the one outlet.

They mislead as well by calling it a tv license, doesn’t help with discussions like this. Of course it covers more, but they almost try and hide the fact!
The bbc are relatively unbiased compared to any other broadcaster you can name.

I prefer to not rely on a “pinch of salt”. If we’ve learned nothing in the last 5 years, it’s that media (social media even, look at Russia and Facebook), defines opinions.

BBC 1 2 3 4 World Service, News various Networks. Radio 1 2 3 4 5 6 1extra 4extra podcasts. Huge amount of programmes and services.

It’s a no from me.

No, its not a private business so are you advocating it is no more and reborn as such?

Not necessarily. I'm advocating the news service remains unbiased & is funded through general taxation. Everything else to be funded by subscription. You seem very confident people will pay the subscription, even when it isnt mandatory so the same level of funding should be received. You can still have a public service that generates income from its users. I'd like to see the rail service nationalised but funded itself by train passenger fares.
You dont have to be a private company to generate income from end users.

Are saying its worth every penny for you and a few others only or are you saying its worth every penny for everyone? If the latter & it really is great value for money then why not put it that to the test and make it a subscription service?
Because people would choose to watch shite on ITV 2 instead, meaning like most things a totally free marketplace is a load of old bollocks and you need to force people to do things for their own good.

Of course it should be scrapped. It is an absurd anachronism. The BBC does little or nothing that cannot be done as well or better by others. It is complacent and completely lacking in self awareness, particularly in the vast salaries given to many of it's employees . It is also prone to ridiculous excess. For instance, the BBC took twice as many people to the Beijing Olympics - excluding technical staff- than the Olympic team itself took.

The idea that someone wants to watch say Netflix, Amazon, Sky or whatever else can only do so legally after paying a fee for something they might never use is appalling.

Is there a link between Brexiteers and those who don't understand and appreciate what the BBC do?

The link is that we understand why the BBC is biased.

Being partly funded by the Eu is just one example.

A fact that they tried by every means possible to keep a secret, until it had to be finally disclosed by legal enforcement of the freedom of information act.

The U.K. is possibly the only country in the world that legally enforces a licence fee which is used solely for the benefit of one single corporation.

Of course it should be scrapped. It is an absurd anachronism. The BBC does little or nothing that cannot be done as well or better by others. It is complacent and completely lacking in self awareness, particularly in the vast salaries given to many of it's employees . It is also prone to ridiculous excess. For instance, the BBC took twice as many people to the Beijing Olympics - excluding technical staff- than the Olympic team itself took.

The idea that someone wants to watch say Netflix, Amazon, Sky or whatever else can only do so legally after paying a fee for something they might never use is appalling.

Do you need a license if you're just watching pre-recorded stuff (with the exception of iPlayer)?

Back