Sheffield United v The Mouthbreathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelvo would've missed that if the defenders kept chase and the keeper made any sort of effort. He's hardly a clinical finisher.

Basically anyone who dislikes VAR and / or has a soft spot, as many do this year, for Sheff Utd will have an issue with it. This does not make them right. There are simply no grounds for having an issue with this goal.

Its a joke mate. Absolute shambles. You simply cant have linesman putting flags up and expect everything to be rosy.

As Leon Osman said on the BBC feed. VAR allowed a legitimate goal to stand. It did exactly what it was introduced to do.

Blind hatred and jealousy towards Newcastle United is being disguised behind complaints about VAR by too many on here.

Remember to recall this thread when a VAR decision goes against Newcastle and the same posters will take the exact opposite end of the argument.

I agree with the mag here tbf. Although I've never been a fan of VAR.

Then the role of linesmen need looking at. Just play until the ball goes out of play every time and let them get var to decide?

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is not certain whether the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, the assistant should delay indicating the offence until the phase of play has concluded.

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is certain the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, then the assistant should indicate the offence immediately.

In both of these situations the referee should wait to blow the whistle until the immediate phase of play has ended.

The assistant referee made a mistake. The correct procedure was implemented perfectly in the Arsenal v Brighton game when Luiz’s goal was disallowed.

Last edited:
As I asked above, if Shelvey had have been fouled as opposed to run through unopposed, what would have happened ?
Presumably a penalty and possible red card because ‘play on’ was the decision.

I’m still not really sure what the linesman was flagging for. He looked a mile onside even to the naked eye it was a terrible call

Novelty for the mags that, beating a team playing in red and white stripes. Don't know what to make of the VAR goal, it was a goal, but it just didn't look right. OK use var to overturn a clear and obvious error, but offsides where there is only inches in it either way WTF. As things stand let the linesman flag for throw ins, and nothing else, and let every offside go for review. The game will last longer than an American football match, and the match atmosphere will be killed , but that will probably suit Sky, BT etc., and their millions of armchair fans.

The assistant referee made a mistake. The correct procedure was implemented perfectly in the Arsenal v Brighton game when Luiz’s goal was disallowed.
I wasn’t aware of this guidance. So, the rule is ‘play on’ if the linesman puts their flag up until the passage of play has ended. That being the case the goal was rightly given and Sheffield United should not have stopped playing. But I have to say that in lots of the games I’ve seen the ref usually just goes with the linesman’s flag and blows for offside. This goal is a stark example of the rule because the incident was a long way from the goal and often the ‘play on’ rule will not result in a goal. But at least we all know what happens in this sort of situation and won’t be wondering why the ref hadn’t blown their whistle.

It was quite tight imo.

You do know it was Carroll he was flagging offside?

To be fair your right - I saw it briefly last night after coming in from the works Xmas meal and have just watched it again in the sky app - sober - and seen the crack 😂

Nowt wrong with the goal at all. If I was Wlider I'd want to shoot the bloody defenders.

Anyone thinking different is just allowing their red & white glasses to blind their judgement.

I’m still not really sure what the linesman was flagging for. He looked a mile onside even to the naked eye it was a terrible call

It was tight to be fair.. I am not even going to blame the linesman here, he did his job, in his opinion it was clear-cut (although I am led to believe that in tight calls he is supposed to keep the flag down) He must of thought it offside, he is only human and made a mistake, VAR was brought in to try and fix them mistakes. The ref is the rule enforcer on the pitch, not the two linesman nor the fourth official. The Ref, he clearly waved play on. If it was against us I would be pissed off, but not at VAR, the linesman or the ref. The fault is with them players.. There is nothing to say Shelvey would not have scored however so if the players never stopped (as there where no whistle) and he scored there would be no talking point. It is drilled into you from a young age, play to the whistle (unless you see someone injured, then kick it out).

It was a good goal and VAR proved that and did it's job perfectly..
That grumpy git of a Sheff United manager can go climb a cactus whilst naked.. the huffy twit, he should have instructed his players better. (mind he has them playing outstanding)

I've spent the entire day after Southampton won hearing about how after they lost tonight there'd be no more talk of him being better than Rafa as they'd be right in the shit. I honestly don't know how to approach tonight with them. :lol:
Update: he's just copying off Rafa. :lol:

Update: he's just copying off Rafa. :lol:
He kind of is to be fair, that's the system they are used to and that is the way they have been set up to play for three years..

Now I am not saying that he fished out a copy of "Rafa's step by step guide on how Newcastle should play" but he tried to put his stamp on things early and it didn't work.. This is because of a number of factors, number 1, they are not his players, number 2 they need to change their mindset and this takes time.

It's obviously Bruce's take on it and the only credit that Rafa and his backroom staff should take (as its essentially their team) is that these tactics are well drilled into them.

Bruce should get credit for recognising that he must play this way for the time being.

It's shit football, it was under Rafa and it is now.. It looks like panic football even the defense (although I know they are well under control) We never seem to look a threat going forward, although we have pace and obviously we are a threat as we have won games..

Although I said it looks panic football, it also seems that the opponents could play all weekend and not score,, and I believe I have heard Bruce mention that the number 1 thing you should aim to do in a football match is not concede. So he sets us up for that (as did Rafa)

I don't believe he has made a conscious decision to "copy Rafa" but he did talk with the players after our not so good start. They told them how they have been playing, and Bruce TO HIS CREDIT has adopted that.
I can only give him the same level of credit I afforded Rafa... well done Steve Bruce

But it's SHIT to watch.

He kind of is to be fair, that's the system they are used to and that is the way they have been set up to play for three years..

Now I am not saying that he fished out a copy of "Rafa's step by step guide on how Newcastle should play" but he tried to put his stamp on things early and it didn't work.. This is because of a number of factors, number 1, they are not his players, number 2 they need to change their mindset and this takes time.

It's obviously Bruce's take on it and the only credit that Rafa and his backroom staff should take (as its essentially their team) is that these tactics are well drilled into them.

Bruce should get credit for recognising that he must play this way for the time being.

It's shit football, it was under Rafa and it is now.. It looks like panic football even the defense (although I know they are well under control) We never seem to look a threat going forward, although we have pace and obviously we are a threat as we have won games..

Although I said it looks panic football, it also seems that the opponents could play all weekend and not score,, and I believe I have heard Bruce mention that the number 1 thing you should aim to do in a football match is not concede. So he sets us up for that (as did Rafa)

I don't believe he has made a conscious decision to "copy Rafa" but he did talk with the players after our not so good start. They told them how they have been playing, and Bruce TO HIS CREDIT has adopted that.
I can only give him the same level of credit I afforded Rafa... well done Steve Bruce

But it's SHIT to watch.

You're in the vast minority giving him credit for anything.

I actually read something from one of your fans last night saying so far Bruce has been worse than they expected him to be. :lol:

Should do what rest of Europe do, if the liner flags then the game stops VAR or not.

Linesman shouldn't flag for offside anymore unless its obvious.

In fact we don't need linesman if VAR stays.
Agree in principle but the games would run beyond 100mins with VAR checks.... Maybe they should give managers the linesman flags like in Sunday league.

You're in the vast minority giving him credit for anything.

I actually read something from one of your fans last night saying so far Bruce has been worse than they expected him to be. :lol:
You get morons everywhere to be fair though.. I would not have chosen him, and if I had a choice right now I would replace him. I personally would rather we had a few less points but played like, Well Sheff United to be fair.. Although I understand he uses the hand he was dealt so can only credit him for what he has done so far.. Mind I think he is a dour dinosaur.

Shit,, I think I am just getting old,, everything pisses me off nowadays, I am never happy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back