Sheffield United v The Mouthbreathers.

You get morons everywhere to be fair though.. I would not have chosen him, and if I had a choice right now I would replace him. I personally would rather we had a few less points but played like, Well Sheff United to be fair.. Although I understand he uses the hand he was dealt so can only credit him for what he has done so far.. Mind I think he is a dour dinosaur.

Shit,, I think I am just getting old,, everything pisses me off nowadays, I am never happy lol

Same here. Didn't want him, think he's rubbish, 20 years of evidence to suggest this. But so far he's doing ok. Way better than most people expected. Not halfway through the season yet so too early to tell, as the lack of goals from forwards is worrying and unsustainable imo.
Defence is solid and we ride our luck at times but the attackers need to score more otherwise we'll end up struggling. Can't be having centre halves and midfielders scoring all our goals for the full season.

Same here. Didn't want him, think he's rubbish, 20 years of evidence to suggest this. But so far he's doing ok. Way better than most people expected. Not halfway through the season yet so too early to tell, as the lack of goals from forwards is worrying and unsustainable imo.
Defence is solid and we ride our luck at times but the attackers need to score more otherwise we'll end up struggling. Can't be having centre halves and midfielders scoring all our goals for the full season.
Worrying indeed. It's not pretty but seems effective. You can only credit the man though, alot of new managers come into established teams and change things.. Even when it's counter productive simply because they want to play their way.. some of them remain stubborn. Now he will eventually have to change, but that's when he gets his own players on the field..
We can't not give him and the players credit.

Linesman will never get every offside decision correct because they have to watch the ball being kicked before looking along the line.VAR shows the state of play when the ball is kicked.

Worrying indeed. It's not pretty but seems effective. You can only credit the man though, alot of new managers come into established teams and change things.. Even when it's counter productive simply because they want to play their way.. some of them remain stubborn. Now he will eventually have to change, but that's when he gets his own players on the field..
We can't not give him and the players credit.

Agree with all that.

Linesman will never get every offside decision correct because they have to watch the ball being kicked before looking along the line.VAR shows the state of play when the ball is kicked.
OK but on this particular decision it was a flick on by Andy Carroll so the line of sight was right in front of him. So no excuse.

I suspect the linesman reacted to the Sheffield players stepping up and raising their hands.

It was interesting to review because the Sheffield players raising their arms and the linesman raising his flag (I think) were impulsive reactions due to many years of conditioning to do that.

Players fooled officials for years which is why we have VAR. The linesman is human and the defenders are culpable.

Linesman made a mistake....

Ref was correct not to stop play as it was a close call, Ref didn't blow his whistle which he has to do on even on the most obvious offsides to stop the game....

Sheff Utd players made a mistake by reacting to the flag on not the whistle....

Shelvey kept going and scored....

VAR proved the decision was correct....

Not sure what is difficult to understand, VAR has been used in the correct manner....

Then the role of linesmen need looking at. Just play until the ball goes out of play every time and let them get var to decide?

Agreed. It has made their role fairly redundant. I don't agree with the changes by the way.

Ref was correct not to stop play as it was a close call, Ref didn't blow his whistle which he has to do on even on the most obvious offsides to stop the game....

Not sure what is difficult to understand, VAR has been used in the correct manner....

Correct. The confusion seems to around the linesmans role. Basically managers need to instruct players to take zero notice of the linesman.

Mind, I'm not sure how the ref, given his positioning, was able to tell if it was close or not. He will have been watching the ball rather than looking along a line.

Last edited:
Agreed. It has made their role fairly redundant. I don't agree with the changes by the way.

Correct. The confusion seems to around the linesmans role. Basically managers need to instruct players to take zero notice of the linesman.

Mind, I'm not sure how the ref, given his positioning, was able to tell if it was close or not. He will have been watching the ball rather than looking along a line.

I think the ref just had it in his mind to continue play for a close call, then let VAR work it out....

I think the ref just had it in his mind to continue play for a close call, then let VAR work it out....
Seems the ref remember his new training about VAR, linesman decided to do a Morris dancer impersonation and confused the Sheffield players and voldimor remembered.
May I add I still dislike var no matter the team
Aye, seems refs are now happy to just let it play out and have VAR check afterwards.
Could they not bin the refs as well and just let it be a free for all during the game, then var it all in one go after it.

Last edited:

It was bizzare. There was no players within ten yards of Shelley when he got the flick on. I think they realise they’d cocked up and stuck their hands up hopefully. We stood there and gave an ironic cheers, not realising the goal would stand.
Got a load of pint glasses hoyed at us after the game from the cowardly “fans”.

It was bizzare. There was no players within ten yards of Shelley when he got the flick on. I think they realise they’d cocked up and stuck their hands up hopefully. We stood there and gave an ironic cheers, not realising the goal would stand.
Got a load of pint glasses hoyed at us after the game from the cowardly “fans”.
Listening on the radio, the Sheffield fans seemed an angry feral bunch.

Always reminded of the attitudes of their police force at Orgreave and Hillsborough.

VAR is opening up really absurd circumstances in games now. Everyone stops apart from Shelvey, but they have to give it because Carroll's not offside. Mad. Should be a drop ball if there's any common sense, or then again maybe it's Sheff Utd's comeuppance for stopping play. Either way VAR is a shambles.
Give a drop ball? :confused: It's clear as day that players play to the whistle. It's even on the the Premier League VAR priniciples page from a link earlier. If we were still in the Premier League and it was Grigg going through and scoring (anar total fantasy!) against the Mags would you really say, "haway use some common sense and pull it back and give a drop ball as the stupid Mags didn't play to the whistle like they should have given that's the most basic of rules?" :lol::lol:

Aye VAR is shite some of the time but this incident had fuck all to do with VAR being the cause and if anything VAR allowed a legitimate goal.

The only crumb of comfort I can take from how the twats are doing is, Benitez has been proven to be the biggest grifter on football. The stupid twats worshipped him and it turns out cushion face has given them there best premier league start in 5 years.
Wonder how many of the steak bake army would take him back

Wilder gone down massively in my estimation after his nonsensical rant about the goal. If Sheff Utd score that goal I can imagine exactly what he'd say.

I love how people think calling offside is easy. Try an offside simulator and then imagine having to make a split second decision with 20000 odd yelling at you. You're basically guessing. He looked off in real time. The ref keeps his flag down and then when it's disallowed by VAR he gets slammed for wasting time when it's clearly off. He clearly thought it looked off in real time.

Back