Sheffield United v The Mouthbreathers.

The only crumb of comfort I can take from how the twats are doing is, Benitez has been proven to be the biggest grifter on football. The stupid twats worshipped him and it turns out cushion face has given them there best premier league start in 5 years.
Wonder how many of the steak bake army would take him back
It’s not really a comfort to you, is it?

I can tell.

Wilder gone down massively in my estimation after his nonsensical rant about the goal. If Sheff Utd score that goal I can imagine exactly what he'd say.

I love how people think calling offside is easy. Try an offside simulator and then imagine having to make a split second decision with 20000 odd yelling at you. You're basically guessing. He looked off in real time. The ref keeps his flag down and then when it's disallowed by VAR he gets slammed for wasting time when it's clearly off. He clearly thought it looked off in real time.
Not a simulator but still shows it's not that easy like some like to think, especially after they've seen slow-mo replays. Even watching live at the game and being certain he was onside/offside you can be wrong looking at angles changes the perspective also.

This is unreal though, England v Italy for 3rd place playoff in 1990 World Cup :lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilder gone down massively in my estimation after his nonsensical rant about the goal. If Sheff Utd score that goal I can imagine exactly what he'd say.

I love how people think calling offside is easy. Try an offside simulator and then imagine having to make a split second decision with 20000 odd yelling at you. You're basically guessing. He looked off in real time. The ref keeps his flag down and then when it's disallowed by VAR he gets slammed for wasting time when it's clearly off. He clearly thought it looked off in real time.
Wilder twisted on like a spoilt bairn like all managers do. Behind the scenes he'll think his keeper is a big a knobhead as the rest of us do.

I think the ref just had it in his mind to continue play for a close call, then let VAR work it out....
Agreed. I think the ref would have blown if Shelvey was in a wider position with a defender able/willing to choose him down. His immediate reaction was to blow when the flag went up, but he then saw how good a one on one it was off a marginal call (he didn't know whether it was on or off but instinct was probably to trust the assistant at that point).

If the chance isn't great and he stops it then no one knows the outcome - if the call is proved wrong on TV replay there's not much grumbling. In this case the chance was just too good and therefore the risk to great to blow and then be proved wrong.

Assistant was wrong to flag, defenders and keeper wrong to stop, ref and VAR use were spot on.

Not a simulator but still shows it's not that easy like some like to think, especially after they've seen slow-mo replays. Even watching live at the game and being certain he was onside/offside you can be wrong looking at angles changes the perspective also.

This is unreal though, England v Italy for 3rd place playoff in 1990 World Cup :lol::lol:

Good video that first one. Difficult even with 1 defender and 1 attacker in near enough the same position all the time, at low speed with the ball coming from the same position each time.
Translate that to a team defending with 6 players back and 3 forwards, and a ball played from 30 yards inside the attack team's half from the opposite flank to where the linesman is standing, while he's sprinting to keep up with the speed of top flight forwards and he's certainly got his work cut out. Very difficult job.

Bruce doing a great job. So far he’s doing a much better job than his predecessor.
Benitez finished 10th and 13th. If Bruce finishes around the same spot he'll be heralded as doing veey well. He came in, changed things, and realised it wasn't working and went back to playing in a similar fashion to Benitez. Credit to him. That takes bottle. How Bruce being 11th to 13th while doing a "Great job" proves Benitez was doing a shit job in the same area is nonsense. If Bruce is doing well, Benitez has previously done well, which is the reality.

How insecure are you?

They were dominating the game much more in first half than second. And lost first half. Wishful thinking only based on alternative realities

You looked rubbish, the win merely papers over the various cracks. Feel free to delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

Could easily have got an equaliser. One goal is always nervy.

But that just a judgement call & wishful thinking because it suits your anti Newcastle agenda. Any result could have easily followed if Shelvey goal disallowed. But would think teams a goal up on 70 minutes win more games than lose or draw them.

But that just a judgement call & wishful thinking because it suits your anti Newcastle agenda. Any result could have easily followed if Shelvey goal disallowed. But would think teams a goal up on 70 minutes win more games than lose or draw them.

Of course you were clear favourites but a draw was certainly more likely at 1-0 than 2-0.

You looked rubbish, the win merely papers over the various cracks. Feel free to delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

I thought Bruce would relegate us. Start to season only reinforced that. Results of late suggest I might be wrong. Happens. You welcomed O Neill Advocaat Di Cannio Poyet and less than 12 months later were happy to see back of them.
Of course you were clear favourites but a draw was certainly more likely at 1-0 than 2-0.

1-0 was still the more likely result than any other

Last edited:
I thought Bruce would relegate us. Start to season only reinforced that. Results of late suggest I might be wrong. Happens. You welcomed O Neill Advocaat Di Cannio Poyet and less than 12 months later were happy to see back of them.

1-0 was still the more likely result than any other

Sherlock Holmes step aside

Benitez finished 10th and 13th. If Bruce finishes around the same spot he'll be heralded as doing veey well. He came in, changed things, and realised it wasn't working and went back to playing in a similar fashion to Benitez. Credit to him. That takes bottle. How Bruce being 11th to 13th while doing a "Great job" proves Benitez was doing a shit job in the same area is nonsense. If Bruce is doing well, Benitez has previously done well, which is the reality.

Are we discounting his first season when he finished 18th ?

Good video that first one. Difficult even with 1 defender and 1 attacker in near enough the same position all the time, at low speed with the ball coming from the same position each time.
Translate that to a team defending with 6 players back and 3 forwards, and a ball played from 30 yards inside the attack team's half from the opposite flank to where the linesman is standing, while he's sprinting to keep up with the speed of top flight forwards and he's certainly got his work cut out. Very difficult job.
I'm wasting my time as this is well after the event but I've got 10 mins to kill :lol:

The thing is, all these people calling it close and linesman shouldn't have flagged probably haven't watched it closely enough and only looked at the single freeze frame. They think the linesman has fucked up badly when in reality he hasn't as he's just called it as he interpreted it. In the few frames before the VAR freeze frame, Carrol is well offside if you look at the 3 Sheff Utd defenders as the linesman is keeping his line with the defenders. He's also offside in the frames after and it's probably 1 single frame that he's onside (so a time period of 0.033 seconds at 30FPS!). You just have to watch that offside test video above to see that's it's f***ing impossible to see someone is actually onside for 1 freeze frame and if anything the human eye probably wouldn't even see it at all in real time.

This is before the ball is kicked and it's clear to everyone Carrol is offside.

Logon or register to see this image

So everyone should agree that at this point the linesman's thinking "he's offside" and waiting for the ball to be kicked. However he has to make a decision, look at the player kicking the ball or listen for the kick as he can't look at both! If he looks for the kick then he misses the frame VAR used. If he uses sound then again he's got to factor in the speed of sound over say 60 yards then that's 0.166 second delay or 5 frames of video at 30FPS!

This is the freeze frame that VAR used but the defender now has a leg out and Carrol's moved his legs backwards with a small jump though his upper body stayed pretty much the same place.

You can now see the defender moving his right leg back again as he steps up in the after the ball was kicked plus to the linesman Carrol will again look offside

The linesman has flagged offside as he probably didn't see the hanging leg of the nearside defender and simply thought Carrol was offside the whole period of before and after the ball being kicked so therefore he flagged as he was certain.

This is the video but again why people are using this as a VAR bashing tool is baffling, especially Chris Wilder!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wasting my time as this is well after the event but I've got 10 mins to kill :lol:

The thing is, all these people calling it close and linesman shouldn't have flagged probably haven't watched it closely enough and only looked at the single freeze frame. They think the linesman has fucked up badly when in reality he hasn't as he's just called it as he interpreted it. In the few frames before the VAR freeze frame, Carrol is well offside if you look at the 3 Sheff Utd defenders as the linesman is keeping his line with the defenders. He's also offside in the frames after and it's probably 1 single frame that he's onside (so a time period of 0.033 seconds at 30FPS!). You just have to watch that offside test video above to see that's it's f***ing impossible to see someone is actually onside for 1 freeze frame and if anything the human eye probably wouldn't even see it at all in real time.

This is before the ball is kicked and it's clear to everyone Carrol is offside.

So everyone should agree that at this point the linesman's thinking "he's offside" and waiting for the ball to be kicked. However he has to make a decision, look at the player kicking the ball or listen for the kick as he can't look at both! If he looks for the kick then he misses the frame VAR used. If he uses sound then again he's got to factor in the speed of sound over say 60 yards then that's 0.166 second delay or 5 frames of video at 30FPS!

This is the freeze frame that VAR used but the defender now has a leg out and Carrol's moved his legs backwards with a small jump though his upper body stayed pretty much the same place.

You can now see the defender moving his right leg back again as he steps up in the after the ball was kicked plus to the linesman Carrol will again look offside

The linesman has flagged offside as he probably didn't see the hanging leg of the nearside defender and simply thought Carrol was offside the whole period of before and after the ball being kicked so therefore he flagged as he was certain.

This is the video but again why people are using this as a VAR bashing tool is baffling, especially Chris Wilder!

Agree with this.
Linesman has done his best, VAR has done its job, refree on waves play on as he has power to overrule.
Only ones at fault are the sheffield united players.

The only crumb of comfort I can take from how the twats are doing is, Benitez has been proven to be the biggest grifter on football. The stupid twats worshipped him and it turns out cushion face has given them there best premier league start in 5 years.
Wonder how many of the steak bake army would take him back
You say that like its a bad thing, if Benitez is proven to be the "biggest grifter in football" and we end up in top half ill be buzzing as will the majority of our fans 😂

You say that like its a bad thing, if Benitez is proven to be the "biggest grifter in football" and we end up in top half ill be buzzing as will the majority of our fans 😂
Benitez absolutley shafted you, I don't know a mag who thought you'd stay up once Bruce came in. Maybe you lot should be thanking Ashley for getting rid of him. He was clearly holding you back

Back