September SMB Photography Competition - After Dark - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logon or register to see this image

My name's Mercia Blackcat and I'm not a dodgey geeza.

I've been struggling this month but managed this er just the other night.

Logon or register to see this image

I can see some of you are checking the Exif data so just let me say that my camera clock must have stopped, it happened to somebody else just the other month, and that the recorded date/time of 29/11/2008 at 20:16 is not correct. Anyone with half a brain knows that it's not dark at 20:16 in September so the pic was obviously taken later.

Just another minor point, I see some of you have been checking uploaded filenames and will have noticed mine is

merciabc/th_Eye03Nov2008.jpg?t=1283978153

I don't what's going on there like. All I can think is that I was renaming a batch of file with a Nov2008 suffix and this must have got included by mistake.

So will this pass the stringent new rules?

One final little matter, I might want to change my vote if the person I voted for is beating me.

Bigger size

That person would be me..... but yeah that photo's fine. shite, but fine ;)

sorry, you never put "c&c"

EDIT: comment withdrawn.

Better not use it then ;)

Although Exif data proves nothing as it can be edited with most Exif Viewers or manipulated within Image Editing software using cut and paste onto another image which is what I did with that one.

I really don't think Peachbum tried to cheat. She doesn't need to. Her entries have been seriously underated in the polls.

She just didn't think it through which is fair enough as this is the first time it has happened.

Last edited:
Right so I got off to a poor start last month. This month I'm going for 1 vote at least :lol:

Argos catalogue sale came through the post this morning and there are 12MP cameras for £60 now. The one I used is 7MP (I think), but apart from a shocking battery life I've never had any problems with it. Would it be worth upgrading from 7 to 12 or will there not be that much difference? (and please no smart arse saying 5MP difference ;))

Right so I got off to a poor start last month. This month I'm going for 1 vote at least :lol:

Argos catalogue sale came through the post this morning and there are 12MP cameras for £60 now. The one I used is 7MP (I think), but apart from a shocking battery life I've never had any problems with it. Would it be worth upgrading from 7 to 12 or will there not be that much difference? (and please no smart arse saying 5MP difference ;))

you probably wouldn't notice the difference in image quality mate, you only really notice if printing off huge images, most people are under the illusion that the more MP a camera has the better it is which is not neccaserily (sp) true, yeah it may be better but that will be down to things like less shutter lag, faster focusing and better lens etc....maybe read some reviews on whatever camera it is.

What PB was sharing was a feeling for a very personal moment in the past and that was sincere imo.

No, imo, PB (perhaps unwittingly) took a shortcut, while everyone was out trying to find a shot, btw, mine was a boy sitting in a school yard hopscotch holding a PSP games console but I fuct it up trying get it B/W, then because of this PB image in the competition I thought, why bother trying again, what would've been the point, if any post production wizard can just blow me away with some copied photo made new by computer wizardry.

PB used an old photo, which is against the rules, I say cheating but because she never concealed it then perhaps I'd downgrade it to photocopying, either way it seems obvious to me that a copy of a photo simply digitally played with, is crass and wrong in the spirit of this competition, my September entry is even crasser but it has served it's purposed now and I have asked AB22 to remove it.

Sorry to upset the applecart and be a bit of a tw@ but why should anyone bother going out to look for good shots, unique images in their free time, when effectively you can print out any google image, photograph it and then upload it to photoshop/paint and then enter it here as your own.

Anyway the matter is closed for me and my After Dark Rave entry is void.

when effectively you can print out any google image, photograph it and then upload it to photoshop/paint and then enter it here as your own.

Anyway the matter is closed for me and my After Dark Rave entry is void.
You thick person, it wasn't googled, I own the photograph, and if you read the thread you will see a photo of my photo album with four photographs. I was going to enter that (the photo of a photo album with my baby photos in) but they were too small
picture.php

picture.php
So you can see my though processes in trying to create an original photo. Check the exif if you think I have done them since ! Clock the photo centre and top left. The photo I photographed . These photos are all about 1.5" by 1" (very small).

Sorry to waste so much thread space defending my character, to all who voted for me and believe me and my efforts. Thanks MerciaBlackcat too.

Last edited:
You thick person, it wasn't googled, I own the photograph, and if you read the thread you will see a photo of my photo album with four photographs. I was going to enter that (the photo of a photo album with my baby photos in) but they were too small
picture.php

picture.php
So you can see my though processes in trying to create an original photo. Check the exif if you think I have done them since ! Clock the photo centre and top left. The photo I photographed . These photos are all about 1.5" by 1" (very small).

Sorry to waste so much thread space defending my character, to all who voted for me and believe me and my efforts. Thanks MerciaBlackcat too.

Listen very carefully,

I don't give a shit whether it was your personal photo or not, get that into your head if you can, thick person, then read on, it's the very idea that a photo of a photo not a photo within a photo mind but an actual size photo, of a photo, is classed as a legal entry, whilst the more honest of us were out looking for unique opportunities, you were photographing an old photo on your kitchen bench, bit of a fiddle in photoshop or some other software, an jobs a gun un eh, well no, it's not, as from next month it's not allowed and I think that fact says it all.

:roll:

Only because of the fuss you kicked up with, nought else. The rule has been put in place because of you!

(Sorry for calling you thick. I realise you are just putting your point across.)

Nah to be fair, I kicked up a fuss too

It should have been politely declined and you could have come up with another of your excellent ideas

Which should have won at least two of these monthly things

Only because of the fuss you kicked up with, nought else. The rule has been put in place because of you!

(Sorry for calling you thick. I realise you are just putting your point across.)

Last word on it.

I'm certainly not that high and mighty that a competition changes rules for me alone, it's obviously open to abuse like I said about the google example, surely common sense dictates that your entry should be a unique shot interpreting that months theme, your shot IMO was just a copy of an old shot and I believe the rule put in place is justified.

Peachbum just PMd me and said that AB22 was a cheat.

Steroids, the lot.

Don't worry marra - I liked your pic but refused to vote for you because you nicked me idea :lol:

ignore him mercia lad - cracking pic marra

Last edited:
Don't worry marra - I liked your pic but refused to vote for you because you nicked me idea :lol:

ignore him mercia lad - cracking pic marra

Thank SK.

The interesting point is that it was hand held so lumping a tripod around may not be nessessary after dark if there is a decent light source to focus on. You can get quite a bit of reflection from the roads etc if there has been some rain earlier.

The statue is dedicated to Sir Frank Whittle who developed the first jet engine in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back