Sending your child to London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowt properly traumatising.

I was 14 but looked about 11. We were in a crowded toy shop (don't remember the name), the rest of my family were in another section so I was by myself.

Some Asian bloke was standing next to me with his crotch rubbing against my arm. It was busy but not busy enough for him to be rubbing his balls up against me. He didn't seem to be paying attention so I assumed it was an accident, I was uncomfortable so I put a bit of distance between us. A couple of minutes later he's doing it again, again I moved away, this time to a completely different display.

A few minutes go by, there he is with his dick rubbing against my arm again. I wouldn't say he was erect but it was more than a semi.

I shout something like "fuck off you bastard" and he scarpers, my mam comes out of nowhere and I get a proper clip for swearing while half the shop are watching. :lol:
I’d take it as a compliment personally.

Also, how does it make you feel that’s he probably we went home and had a big owld wank over you

I went to Paris on a school trip when I was 12. Got the train down to Dover(or was it Folkestone?), then the SeaCat, then train from Calais to Paris and sightseeing by Metro. Didn’t stay in a Youth Hostel but it was a Fawlty Towers-esque hotel.

My Year 5 son is doing something similar. Expecting some worries from parents, the school held a meeting for parents followed by vote via letter before formally announcing that they would be going ahead with London as destination (they'd suggested Edinburgh as alternative). I think this approach helped to allay concerns and most parents voted to go ahead with London.

There was a meeting where they talked through everything and assured everyone it would be safe. I mentioned I'd been there and felt safe and another lady mentioned she goes several times through work and she had no worries.

Then they offered another alternative. That was handled by an external company who would pick the children up by coach and drive down, then they would use the coach to move around rather than public transport. It would have cost more, but school said they would consider still charging us the £280 but ask the children do fund raisers like cake sales and bag packing to raise the money to cover the difference.

Kids deserve the right to see other places. Maybe not trips to Africa and Sth America, but a trip to the national capital is a good thing, surely. I did it when I was 11 and remember it as a real eye opener.
I know things have changed in 50-odd years, but the principle's the same. The terrorist threat is absolutely miniscule, but people like @Schwarzy , and some parents too, don't seem to understand that the only answer to it is to say 'fuck you' and live your life regardless. That 'Keep Calm and Carry On' slogan came from the Blitz years when London was being bombed every day for months on end, and it only stopped when The Nazis realised that people weren't going to buckle.
As for @Mackem Lad - feel free to not like London, but that Euston/Kings Cross/tubes stuff is fantasy.
Shame about the trip @becs , maybe you could organise a little cultural trip yoursef with the kids, but the sense of discovery going places with your classmates would be lost.

Just a straw poll as I'm proper fummin about something!

If you had a child in Year 6 (age 10-11), would you be willing to send them on a school trip to London? It would include travelling down by train, staying in a Youth Hostel for two nights and visiting popular tourist attractions by Tube.
Year 6? That's last year primary?
Hell no.

We did it 3rd year of the comp, and it was like a scene from Skins. Great fun mind, but we were 14ish then, so able to look after ourselves to a point.

Shame about the trip @becs , maybe you could organise a little cultural trip yoursef with the kids, but the sense of discovery going places with your classmates would be lost.

She's been to London several times before. The only new places on the trip would be Madame Tussards which she isn't fussed about and the Rainforest Cafe which she was keen on. It was the novelty of going by herself with her friends that she was most keen on.

Taking her to Glasgow this weekend for the science museum and planetarium. Just the two of us going so she's calling it the geeky girls only weekend :lol:

Year 6? That's last year primary?
Hell no.

We did it 3rd year of the comp, and it was like a scene from Skins. Great fun mind, but we were 14ish then, so able to look after ourselves to a point.

Yes last year of primary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not now - We allowed the first one who came back (when the whole terrorism thing seemed a bit less frequent) with stories about techers maybe not as on the ball as they should + the latest one is to visit parliment, big ben, the palace so the Mrs has said no and I tend to agree. There is no need for a 9 year old to need to visit London without their parents IMHO but each to their own.

She's been to London several times before. The only new places on the trip would be Madame Tussards which she isn't fussed about and the Rainforest Cafe which she was keen on. It was the novelty of going by herself with her friends that she was most keen on.

Taking her to Glasgow this weekend for the science museum and planetarium. Just the two of us going so she's calling it the geeky girls only weekend :lol:

I was thinking the Rainforest Cafe was just a touristy restaurant where the staff dressed as tigers and elephants but, having looked at their website, they sound pretty cool... educational tours etc.

On the whole, I really don't understand why people don't want their kids to experience one of the world's top 5 cities. I can understand why someone who mostly only goes to Kings Cross and Euston thinks it's a bit shit though...

Jesus, I'm amazed some of the posters on here dare to go out of the house.

When my daughter was in year six the school was doing its usual four day trip to Derwent Hill. Had a pre-meeting at the school for all the parents, at which the school said there was a no mobiles rule for on the trip. Cue some of the parents horrified and protesting like the school had announced Patrick Bateman was the trip leader and they were all going to Fallujah. Pathetic.

Good for you.
If she's just missing Tussauds (boring) and the RFC she's much better off in Glasgow. Try to do the Art Gallery/Museam at Kelvinside(?) too. Mad stuff in there, and a magnificent Dali.

Just a straw poll as I'm proper fummin about something!

If you had a child in Year 6 (age 10-11), would you be willing to send them on a school trip to London? It would include travelling down by train, staying in a Youth Hostel for two nights and visiting popular tourist attractions by Tube.
as long as it is all properly supervised I would have no issue, as long as my child wanted to go. is she going with a good trustworthy friend

Aged 11 - first year comp I went to Italy on a skiing trip when I was a kid. I’d have no prob with my lad (currently year 3) going to London with the school, even at age 7. I’d want a full itinerary, and various bits of info, but I trust his teachers, and I’m not worried by ‘nasty scary Muslims’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back