Self Driving Lorries

Status
Not open for further replies.

The actual motorway driving will have to amend anyway as time goes on, more capacity to haul, less fuel used was always going to happen, the hubs will just get bigger and bigger to meet the extra capacity that the multi trucks will bring.
Technology isn't going to stop and jobs and people will have to amend themselves accordingly.
It's a bit shit for wagon drivers in the short term if some lose jobs but no doubt the bloke in the horse and cart or the canal barge thought the same when technology superseded what they did.
If we didn't move with the times and technology we'd still be ploughing fields with horses and ploughs
I agree but let's wait 30 more years. It's my field and I've climbed the ladder twice now and I can't be fucked to start again

One of the reasons that US wine costs more to buy in the US than Australian wine is because the haulage industry is healthy unionised and the lorry drivers are protected, apparently.

So he's probably right.
We are not unionised.
Also we are only paid per mile so if we have to wait at a customers we don't get a single dime but we are still limited to our hours (even if half of them are sat waiting)

Last edited:
Speaking as a lorry driver i think it has good and bad points. I don't think it is suitable in this country however.
The thing that worries me is the potential for disaster with the technology. It's always good till it fails.
A couple of weeks ago my harley cut out going round the antwerp ring road while i was overtaking in busy traffic. That was a glitch in the fly by wire throttle that fucked the evu up.
Imagine that happening with over a hundred tonnes of wagon.

I agree but let's wait 30 more years. It's my field and I've climbed the ladder twice now and I can't be fucked to start again

We are not unionised.
Also we are only paid per mile so if we have to wait at a customers we don't get a single dime but we are still limited to our hours (even if half of them are sat waiting)
I think it'll be years yet anyway, much like seeing shit on tomorrow's world it'll take years to get all the testing and safety shit organised.
I suppose the ideal place to try it out in he real world would be the outback or similar where there's thousands of miles of straight roads but next to no traffic just to get the basics of trucks following each other in prolonged tests with little danger of collisions

Completely stupid.

I've worked in the software industry for the last 15 years and I've never seen any reasonably complex piece of software be bug free, ever.

Worst case scenario: utter carnage.
Best case: long traffic jams as stems default to stop.

Far better to put the research and funds into more economic engines, replacing fossil fuels, encouraging people not to travel at all (i.e. Working from home etc) and improving / building more railways.
Nonsense

Speaking as a lorry driver i think it has good and bad points. I don't think it is suitable in this country however.
The thing that worries me is the potential for disaster with the technology. It's always good till it fails.
A couple of weeks ago my harley cut out going round the antwerp ring road while i was overtaking in busy traffic. That was a glitch in the fly by wire throttle that fucked the evu up.
Imagine that happening with over a hundred tonnes of wagon.
Much more suited to the massive road trains etc going huge distances on quiet roads.

The tech can fuck up easily. There was that tesla that saw sky when it was a white wagon. Bloke ended up decapitated.

There seems a huge obsession to do things just because they can, this is not some app on a smartphone, people have concepts they pursue but almost certainly never look at every aspect of putting them to practice.

Time will tell on how great it actually is and alot of people may suffer the consequences of glitches in the system.

Much more suited to the massive road trains etc going huge distances on quiet roads.

The tech can fuck up easily. There was that tesla that saw sky when it was a white wagon. Bloke ended up decapitated.
Not as easily as humans can fuck up though. Like the lorry driver who went into the back of that car while changing his music.

There seems a huge obsession to do things just because they can, this is not some app on a smartphone, people have concepts they pursue but almost certainly never look at every aspect of putting them to practice.

Time will tell on how great it actually is and alot of people may suffer the consequences of glitches in the system.
It's weird how people are happy to be operated on by computer systems, flown by computer systems, directed in the air by computer systems, all of which could have tragic results if there's a "glitch" but lorries, Jesus no. :D

Not as easily as humans can fuck up though. Like the lorry driver who went into the back of that car while changing his music.

Imagine if the system fails like tills going down in a shop or bank systems failing and you can't use your cards.

It's weird how people are happy to be operated on by computer systems, flown by computer systems, directed in the air by computer systems, all of which could have tragic results if there's a "glitch" but lorries, Jesus no. :D

They have failed though, that is my point.

That volvo auto brake test :lol:

I hope you're right too.

This bit was nonsense

Far better to put the research and funds into more economic engines, replacing fossil fuels, encouraging people not to travel at all (i.e. Working from home etc) and improving / building more railways.

Self driving vehicles are already a reality. Google have racked up over 30 million miles. Tesla over 100. They are already safer than humans. We're being left behind - again. And we're more than capable if researching clean engine tech and self driving vehicles. Tesla are doing both by themselves.

This bit was nonsense

Self driving vehicles are already a reality. Google have racked up over 30 million miles. Tesla over 100. They are already safer than humans. We're being left behind - again. And we're more than capable if researching clean engine tech and self driving vehicles. Tesla are doing both by themselves.
Tesla will go bust though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back