Self Driving Lorries

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it'll be years yet anyway, much like seeing shit on tomorrow's world it'll take years to get all the testing and safety shit organised.
I suppose the ideal place to try it out in he real world would be the outback or similar where there's thousands of miles of straight roads but next to no traffic just to get the basics of trucks following each other in prolonged tests with little danger of collisions
That was my first thought. When I do Canada to Canada runs it's just a case of holding the steering wheel. I very rarely meet any traffic as 80% of it is dual carriageway. It would be the perfect place to test this.

The uk is probably in the top 10 worst places in the world.

There will be people who find a way to cause accidents with them so they can get a new car

That was my first thought. When I do Canada to Canada runs it's just a case of holding the steering wheel. I very rarely meet any traffic as 80% of it is dual carriageway. It would be the perfect place to test this.

The uk is probably in the top 10 worst places in the world.

There will be people who find a way to cause accidents with them so they can get a new car

Darwin in action

In banking, if someone fails at something like Anti-money laundering checks the bank can get fined big time. I agree with @Frijj

Banks getting fined, what a joke anyway, it's our money.
You fine a haulage firm hundreds of thousands, it would put most out of business.

Would you like to see good honest truck drivers on the dole?

Come on as frijj said, think about it.

Banks getting fined, what a joke anyway, it's our money.
You fine a haulage firm hundreds of thousands, it would put most out of business.

Would you like to see good honest truck drivers on the dole?

Come on as frijj said, think about it.

Well if it isn't hundreds of thousands it needs to be enough to ensure the company trains, monitors and sacks non-compliant drivers

You can't text and operate a massive lorry. Too many people die because of this kinda thing.

Well if it isn't hundreds of thousands it needs to be enough to ensure the company trains, monitors and sacks non-compliant drivers

You can't text and operate a massive lorry. Too many people die because of this kinda thing.

Totally agree with you on everything else other than the huge fines.

I'd rather the offenders were locked up in jail as per manslaughter. It's not the fault of a haulage company that one of their drivers uses a phone while driving. People who spot them should report them too. Drink driving and texting while driving are utterly avoidable offences. When they end in a death that should be manslaughter. A few much stronger sentences given out, together with much increases under cover patrols, might get the message through to the morons who still do it.

Of course not, but I don't lose money if my bank gets fined for not following anti-money laundering regulations.

Never suggested you did.
You may laugh but see what happened when loads wanted their money out of Northern Rock, they would've been fine for hundreds of thousands rather than millions of millions to be withdrawn.

Never suggested you did.
You may laugh but see what happened when loads wanted their money out of Northern Rock, they would've been fine for hundreds of thousands rather than millions of millions to be withdrawn.
You still don't understand the concept of banking fines though. Your deposits are your money. Bank profit is not your money.

I think the idea of fully automated roads is a good thing. Obviously we have to make sure the systems are fully tested and robust, but the military and aerospace industry does have a good, long history of this. People should not be put off automated vehicles because their ibtall of Angry Birds crashes occasionally.

A lot of the hazards I see are humans doing something stupid or impatient. Cutting that out can only be a good thing.

Just 2 days ago I was in the Lakes, saw some traffic lights in the distance on green, stuck my foot down but had to slow when I got to within 100 yards and they started to change. The van 200 yards behind me overtook as I came to a stop, went through the light that had been on red for a while, went round the blind bend on the wrong side of the road and forced the poor bloke coming the other way into the ditch.

One of the key things with this sort of automation is communication. As well as having 360 degree vision, radar and infrared sensors. Vehicles will also be alerted to other hazards by the vehicles around them. The problem will be the transition period when we have a big mix of human and automated. It ismcoming though.

I think the idea of fully automated roads is a good thing. Obviously we have to make sure the systems are fully tested and robust, but the military and aerospace industry does have a good, long history of this. People should not be put off automated vehicles because their ibtall of Angry Birds crashes occasionally.

A lot of the hazards I see are humans doing something stupid or impatient. Cutting that out can only be a good thing.

Just 2 days ago I was in the Lakes, saw some traffic lights in the distance on green, stuck my foot down but had to slow when I got to within 100 yards and they started to change. The van 200 yards behind me overtook as I came to a stop, went through the light that had been on red for a while, went round the blind bend on the wrong side of the road and forced the poor bloke coming the other way into the ditch.

One of the key things with this sort of automation is communication. As well as having 360 degree vision, radar and infrared sensors. Vehicles will also be alerted to other hazards by the vehicles around them. The problem will be the transition period when we have a big mix of human and automated. It ismcoming though.

And even better, cars will know where other cars are. It'll be seamless as fuck IMOTM8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back