Self Driving Lorries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems a bad idea to me. Effectively one driver driving a 80 yards vehicle. Going to be interesting to see whether the driver finds it as easy to swipe cyclists off the rd.

Imagine how difficult reversing will be.

Last edited:
Seems mad. Think it will cause problems at slip road as has been mentioned and tailbacks when a normal lorry decides to overtake the whole platoon at a few mph faster than it is travelling at.

Here comes the roll out of automation, inevitable mass unemployment imo

Yep. Uber's planned fleet of self-driving cars will be a lot cheaper to hire than any human-driven taxi. There will be a load of people that would not use a driverless vehicle though. At least driverless trains are confined to railtracks, but a driverless car/lorry? They can crash anywhere except up in the air or on the sea. We'll leave that to pilotless planes. Would you get on one?

Seems mad. Think it will cause problems at slip road as has been mentioned and tailbacks when a normal lorry decides to overtake the whole platoon at a few mph faster than it is travelling at.

They are eminently suited to roads in America, Australia and Russia which are mile upon mile of straight wideopen road, but not our congested wiggly motorways with many exits/entries.

The implications are frightening. Especially if Nissan get left behind.

Did you know that Nissan/Renault is the world's second largest car builder after Toyota? They are bound to have something in development. It would be a dereliction of duty to their shareholders if they didn't.

that is half the plan of hs2 but no one will listen

you cant have a high speed train and then a freight one gogin at 40 mph

you need additional lines
Better use of the rail system between 10pm and 6am would help. Problem is not just the cost of providing extra rail lines (or roads), but the amount of time it takes to get from the initial plan to someone actually putting a spade in the ground, can take decades.

They aren't fixed so can separate to accommodate vehicles coming in between.

They can react faster than a human

There will still be humans to take over when required - eg when not on motorway

Efficiencies will be made in the running costs as they will gain from slipstreaming

Think we all need to get use to Automation/AI/Robotics

Better use of the rail system between 10pm and 6am would help. Problem is not just the cost of providing extra rail lines (or roads), but the amount of time it takes to get from the initial plan to someone actually putting a spade in the ground, can take decades.
Problem with running trains overnight is the noise as lines run through built-up residential areas. Years back I stayed at a mates house which was right by a sidings hunting area in the outskirts of Birmingham. The noise was horrendous, ad as it was a hot summer night it was either close the windows to dull it a little but then sweat all night or open the window and listen to trains screeching and banging all night.

As long as I get to wear my silver jumpsuit and have a jet pack, I don't give a shit

Completely stupid.

I've worked in the software industry for the last 15 years and I've never seen any reasonably complex piece of software be bug free, ever.

Worst case scenario: utter carnage.
Best case: long traffic jams as stems default to stop.

Far better to put the research and funds into more economic engines, replacing fossil fuels, encouraging people not to travel at all (i.e. Working from home etc) and improving / building more railways.

Bonkers !

we take Nissan cars down to the port and those new quasqui s with auto stop handbrake are a nightmare!

they all react differently, had some that don't come on at all ( despite flying up the ramps )

don't trust this type of technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back