Seaburn Stack

The trains were OK when first put in. Fairgrounds and arcades are consigned to history unfortunately, kids just aren't Interested these days.

They were 35 years ago but really were an eyesore for the last 20.
I hope this place will be the injection the area needs and, as it's a temporary arrangement, if it becomes more economically viable then more aesthetically pleasing permanent businesses may be attracted.
The Seaburn Inn looks canny as well imo.
Apart from the Almasty it's dull. It would have been a good chance to showcase an independent business or brewery from the area, seems a waste to go down the multinational route...still, I guess it's possible nobody was interested.

That's the thing mate, they need to get the cooking lager suppers down for it to make money.
If it takes off then there's nothing to say local independent breweries can't get involved.

Last edited:
Apart from the Almasty it's dull. It would have been a good chance to showcase an independent business or brewery from the area, seems a waste to go down the multinational route...still, I guess it's possible nobody was interested.

Presume they are signed up to / linked to Heineken brewery so may be unable to get independents in?
Might do initially but in the winter could struggle

understand it will include an events space for weddings/parties etc Or at least the plans appeared to show that, so may be looking at that as a means of additional support during winter?

Last edited:
Presume they are signed up to / linked to Heineken brewery so may be unable to get independents in?

understand it will include an events space for weddings/parties etc Or at least the plans appeared to show that, so may be looking at that as a means of additional support during winter?

Doesn't the Newcastle one do ok all year round? People clamber over themselves to sit in a teepee in the run-up to Christmas so I'm sure with some festive fayre involved, they can still do canny.

Doesn't the Newcastle one do ok all year round? People clamber over themselves to sit in a teepee in the run-up to Christmas so I'm sure with some festive fayre involved, they can still do canny.

Newcastle one is in City centre though, with lots of students.

The Seaburn one will do canny around the Xmas period. Might be a bit quiet around Nov, Jan & Feb. But apart from that should do well enough and will be heaving in the summer.

I agree. I suppose the argument between the two is that the Newcastle one is positioned at south of Northumberland St and has a captive audience all year round, including stag and hen parties. Sunderland’s will probably need to work a bit harder and I think they’ve looked at difference ways of keeping the audience interested.

I think there will be an expectation that some business will fail and will change over time but that’s what Sunderland needs. It needs people to try and hopefully something like stack will five people an opportunity to do so.
the classic Sunderland mentality, right there.

should have just been a massive free car park!

Last edited:

Back