Seaburn developments

What was the crack with the badminton court like? Don't get me wrong mate. I don't have much time for them. I think they are nimbys and holding back the area.

Leisure wise? Okay let's spit ball. I guess you have to first decide on what vibe you would like in the Seaburn site. We have plenty of examples to choose from.

Chilled Tynemouth/Jesmond feel. Good bars restaurants and pubs. Good as in not just good food but in beautiful surroundings.

More Blackpool adventuring big market feel. Where you could have pubs clubs bowling alley, indoor mini golf, water park.

Ultra cultured feel akin to a top European City. Have a museums, cafes, high end restaurants, theatres, comedy club etc

All of the above will also need housing too.

Yes it may be pie in the sky but I love the area and see the potential it can truly be a jewel in the Crown of Sunderland. But leave it to the lazy kernts of the world then they'd just build loads of houses. Which we can do anywhere tbh. Let's not waste this chance.

Absolutely it's different mate. Nobody I know has the cheese to develop that site. But there are plenty of us about who might invest in units. What I'm saying build it and they will come.

I agree that developments for leisure may not be as commercially viable as building houses in prime sites. But it's up to the council to make incentives/clauses/bonuses. Whatever you have to do to get them to build them first then the houses. I dunno mate. How does shit get down in.

I’d go with tynemouth. Why would we want to spoil the sea front by stick a big box leisure centre on the sea front? In fact what’s the point of going to the sea front only to be sat in doors! We can stick leisure centre in the city centre if needed which is significantly more accessible. Anyway I think Sunderland has more leisure centres per head than most cities and towns.

In terms of achieving it, it’s not down to purely the council as it really isn’t in the councils objectives to run / manage pubs. Tynemouth works because people with large amounts of disposable income supported a number of smaller / independent cafe, bars and restaurants to the point they were sustainable. From there people from outside of the area were then attracted to the area and so more and more people visited the area allowing for further investment. It really needs a culture to be created in the area. To do that attracting young graduates and the like to the sea front would be my preference. Ideally high rise apartments on the sea front with cafe, bars and restaurants at ground level.

I’d go with tynemouth. Why would we want to spoil the sea front by stick a big box leisure centre on the sea front? In fact what’s the point of going to the sea front only to be sat in doors! We can stick leisure centre in the city centre if needed which is significantly more accessible. Anyway I think Sunderland has more leisure centres per head than most cities and towns.

In terms of achieving it, it’s not down to purely the council as it really isn’t in the councils objectives to run / manage pubs. Tynemouth works because people with large amounts of disposable income supported a number of smaller / independent cafe, bars and restaurants to the point they were sustainable. From there people from outside of the area were then attracted to the area and so more and more people visited the area allowing for further investment. It really needs a culture to be created in the area. To do that attracting young graduates and the like to the sea front would be my preference. Ideally high rise apartments on the sea front with cafe, bars and restaurants at ground level.
Well, I think roughly that is the plan. Get more people living on the front who will be regulars and that will attract the investment. I think it's a sound enough plan but not sure on Siglion being any good at delivering. It's needs apartments down with singles and couples for the cafe culture - mind theres but no need for too high rise. And the Miller estate will provide the higher income families with disposable income too. Most of that should be able to be provided via private investment.

But there's many down here who don't want any change at all. The miserable shitbags were whinging over SCC getting an 800k grant to turn some old shelters in to cafes.

Well, I think roughly that is the plan. Get more people living on the front who will be regulars and that will attract the investment. I think it's a sound enough plan but not sure on Siglion being any good at delivering. It's needs apartments down with singles and couples for the cafe culture - mind theres but no need for too high rise. And the Miller estate will provide the higher income families with disposable income too. Most of that should be able to be provided via private investment.

But there's many down here who don't want any change at all. The miserable shitbags were whinging over SCC getting an 800k grant to turn some old shelters in to cafes.
Get it right Berb, people were complaining about the old tram shelter being demolished. Even though it’s not.

Agreed. To be fair igloo have a decent track record of development however they are a private organisation so guess it depends if the scheme stacks up. I gather that retail or leisure just simply wouldn’t hence why housing most likely to come forward.

As for apartments maybe 4 or 5 storey as originally planned.

Back