Scandi noir/drama recommendations/discussion

having seen the whole series, i think it deserves to be ranked alongside forbrydelsen & bron. i loved it, episodes are only six 40mins long ones but it distills all the great aspects of scandi noir drama imho.

I think it's all on iPlayer so I may watch it well in advance of the broadcast, depending on other TV.

not sure if this has been broadcast by bbc yet? but i've dusted this off in the last few days... brilliant scandi-noir in the original sense... echos of the original forbrydelsen and Bron/Broen in style & content (the lead female detective and her collection of knit wear!).

please tell me they're making a second series @alexander - they can't not make a second series can they?

if been on, try and find it... if its not been, make sure you watch it... to me its exactly the telly this thread was made for. top spot alex!!!

There is a three part series up on BritBox called Scandimania, hosted by Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall, that might be of interest. Episode two is about Denmark. It explains a few things that I hear sometimes buggle the minds of people asking about the country.

Hugh talks to the chef from Noma about the New Nordic Cuisine, and discusses The Killing with Søren Malling as well as visiting local Danes to hear what they have to say about anything from the high taxes and hygge. And a lot of cycling, too.

It isn't Nordic Noir, of course, more a documentary but might be worth a watch for some.

Series 2 of the Norwegian oil drama State of Happiness (aka Lykkeland) starts on BBC4 on Saturday. Series 1 was very watchable!
Haven't seen Series 1, will give it a go.

I imagine "Occupied" has been mentioned already on this thread? Really good.

Anyone been watching this on more4? Started a few weeks ago. Just three episodes so far. All have been broadcast already in Sweden and are available just not with English subtitles.
It’s based on a minor Agatha Christie character. Really enjoying it so far.

Quick mention of the coming series that may or may not be worth a watch:

Nordland '99 (new drama-crime series, said to be a bit unsettling).
DNA (second series).
Agent (new drama-comedy series with Nikolai Lie Kaas).
Oxen (new crime series).
Huset (new drama series with Sofie).
Den Som Dræber (series three).
Badehotellet (series ten).
Forhøret (series three).

Last edited:
New series (six episodes) on Netflix 5 January.

- - - -

In other news, DNA series two begins here in DK mid December. If am not mistaken the first series was shown on the BBC ? I guess that means there is a chance series two will be as well ?

Last edited:
n other news, DNA series two begins here in DK mid December. If am not mistaken the first series was shown on the BBC ? I guess that means there is a chance series two will be as well ?
yeah it was a bbc4 show, and a very good one at that. thought it was a good twist on the nordic noir traditions with the polish link-up. can see that anders berthelsen is back, but it doesnt look like charlotte rampling is. be interesting to see what you make of it, without giving anything away i thought series 1 was a one trick pony so don't know how you spin it out into any more series.
Riget Exodus (2022, follow-up series to Riget (The Kingdom) and again directed by Lars von Trier. Lots and lots of familiar faces in this one including: Laura Christensen,
Bodil Jørgensen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, Lars Mikkelsen, Nicolas Bro, Mikael Persbrandt, Tuva Nuvotny and even Alexander Skarsgård).
did you watch this? and if so, what did you make of it?

Last edited:
Evening all!

Any recommendations for my next fix? something I can watch on the normal channels/netflix/prime? So far I have watched

The Bridge
The Killing
Borgen
Trom
Those who kill

Cheers!

yeah it was a bbc4 show, and a very good one at that. thought it was a good twist on the nordic noir traditions with the polish link-up. can see that anders berthelsen is back, but it doesnt look like charlotte rampling is. be interesting to see what you make of it, without giving anything away i thought series 1 was a one trick pony so don't know how you spin it out into any more series.

did you watch this? and if so, what did you make of it?

I loved it. Very Lars von Trier and very Riget. :lol:

Rita - it's been mentioned a few times. Not a thriller, but very watchable.

You and I should work in PR. :lol:
Evening all!

Any recommendations for my next fix? something I can watch on the normal channels/netflix/prime? So far I have watched

The Bridge
The Killing
Borgen
Trom
Those who kill

Cheers!

This one is worth a watch, too:

Last edited:
Evening all!

The Bridge
The Killing
Borgen
Trom
Those who kill

Cheers!

For me, two shows which are better than both Borgen and The Killing, and close to The Bridge, are Trapped and The Chestnut Man.

Back