Save Seaburn

It was this document where miller homes/university of sunderland confirm it was not gifted for leisure purposes.

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/PlanDM/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=1151000&PDF=true&content=obj.pdf
Page 10
The statement in section 3.17 is disingenuous if not false
The land was gifted to the local,education authority by the original land owner hedworth Williamson with the intent that it was used for recreational purposes and excluded certain uses but didn't exclude hose building
Various changes to the education act cumulated in the lea being forced to hand the land to the university when it changed from poly to university and outwith the control of the lea.
Therefore the intent of the use and nature of the gift is passed from poly to university
If they got it for nowt give it back to the education dept for their use
Fulwell juniors doesn't have a playing field I'm sure they would have loved it for sports activities and sports day

Gifted to the university by whom? And the loss of green space is hardly a hardship where there's already plenty. And big a massive beach which is hardly overused. Clutching at straws. FWIW I own a property in Seaburn to declare an interest.
Own or live in?
Absentee landlord eh trying to exert some influence
That's the issue large swathes of green space are being lost and when it's all gone the likes of paddy o'dors will be the first to twist on
Once it's gone it's gone for good
Watch this space wearmouth cricket club will be next
Would be a better moving the ta somewhere else and useing this site

Last edited:
The land was gifted to the local,education authority by the original land owner hedworth Williamson with the intent that it was used for recreational purposes and excluded certain uses but didn't exclude hose building
Various changes to the education act cumulated in the lea being forced to hand the land to the university when it changed from poly to university and outwith the control of the lea.
Therefore the intent of the use and nature of the gift is passed from poly to university
Fulwell juniors doesn't have a playing field I'm sure they would have loved it for sports activities and sports day

Own or live in?
That's the issue large swathes of green space are being lost and when it's all gone the likes of paddy o'dors will be the first to twist on
How do you get the TA to move?

Are you in favour of the Siglion Development?

How did the party on the fields go?

Apparently it was hugely successful, but there appears to be no photos :confused:

Own or live in?

Wearmouth Cricket Ground is used regularly mate. It was packed today due to a match taking place. For that reason, it’s not going anywhere.

The field down South Bents is never used. Even when I was growing up, I can’t remember the rugby pitch (as it was then) being played upon.

Last edited:
Apparently it was hugely successful, but there appears to be no photos :confused:

Wearmouth Cricket Ground is used regularly mate. It was packed today due to a match taking place. For that reason, it’s not going anywhere.

The field down South Bents is never used. Even when I was growing up, I can’t remember the rugby pitch (as it was then) being played upon.

It was used by the university ironically. They had decent sized American football games. Then the changing rooms were knocked down for the eyesore skate park and they stopped playing there.

Own or live in?

I live in it you f***ing goon.

It was used by the university ironically. They had decent sized American football games. Then the changing rooms were knocked down for the eyesore skate park and they stopped playing there.

The bottom pitches - on the fields not being developed - were always in use. The top field however, next to Weardale, was never used.

The bottom pitches - on the fields not being developed - were always in use. The top field however, next to Weardale, was never used.
It used to be a cricket ground years ago (before my time) but if you go into the back field behind the tree line you can see the foundations for the old club house.

Fair enough mate. From my time, early 90’s onwards, it’s never been used though.

You’re right they took the footy goals down that end then I’d say then the rest probably 2003, tennis court has never been maintained. The cricket pitch was used but pretty sure it’s never been repaired and just neglected.

Well they don't play rugby there now and hopefully they'll build some much needed big posh houses on it.

You’ll be able to see them out your window from Fulwell.

Back