Sanitising Social Media for Work

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

It is one of the things I don't like about Facebook. Anything you do is against your full name, where on the likes of here there is a degree of anonymity. You can have a laugh on here, with the similar level of chat you would have in the pub. Pub type chat on Facebook or swearing, in their own time from home is landing people in trouble with work.

I'm recruiting a couple of posts at the moment and it never entered my head to check Facebook, until I read this thread - any I'm not going to do it.

Good lad

Should just try to fuck them IMO

the thought has crossed my mind many many times

I've just done a standard search of myself on Google. I come up a few times, partially due to work I did for a local university in the past.

My Linkedin profile comes straight up and I actually look quite good to a prospective employer.

That said, my Twitter profile shows up although my Facebook profile doesn't. I would prefer it if my Twitter profile was not visible from Google as I would like some aspects to be private.

That said, identity theft given some of the information that comes up needs to be looked at and I'll have to check each to ensure birth date and home address, etc. don't show. I don't think they do, but I think I better run through my online entries all the same.

This is a forum, not a to do list.

It is one of the things I don't like about Facebook. Anything you do is against your full name, where on the likes of here there is a degree of anonymity. You can have a laugh on here, with the similar level of chat you would have in the pub. Pub type chat on Facebook or swearing, in their own time from home is landing people in trouble with work.

I'm recruiting a couple of posts at the moment and it never entered my head to check Facebook, until I read this thread - any I'm not going to do it.
Why not look?

Why not look?

I can't be arsed, would not know where/how to look on most social media sites, because I have never been to them. I have a facebook account that is accessed one every few months and that is it. I also feel it is an invasion into their private life which might not affect their ability to do their job. I don't always think the way someone comes across on line or social media can not be a fair representation. I'd rather not have any preconceived ideas of someone before I meet them face to face for interview. As well as not being fair to them, there is the danger that I discount the best candidate based on one social media post that I might have taken out of context. That would be bad for me too as I want the best person.

I can't be arsed, would not know where/how to look on most social media sites, because I have never been to them. I have a facebook account that is accessed one every few months and that is it. I also feel it is an invasion into their private life which might not affect their ability to do their job. I don't always think the way someone comes across on line or social media can not be a fair representation. I'd rather not have any preconceived ideas of someone before I meet them face to face for interview. As well as not being fair to them, there is the danger that I discount the best candidate based on one social media post that I might have taken out of context. That would be bad for me too as I want the best person.
Same for me. I’m recruiting at the min and the amount of stuff that gets drummed into us about unconscious bias and not discounting people for the wrong reasons, eg age, name, etc. So if I shouldn’t do that when I’m looking at the Cv, why should I go and sneak on their Facebook?

Although tbf, if i did and it wasn’t locked down, it would probably make me think they were a knacker and I’d discount them for being an idiot.

Same for me. I’m recruiting at the min and the amount of stuff that gets drummed into us about unconscious bias and not discounting people for the wrong reasons, eg age, name, etc. So if I shouldn’t do that when I’m looking at the Cv, why should I go and sneak on their Facebook?

Although tbf, if i did and it wasn’t locked down, it would probably make me think they were a knacker and I’d discount them for being an idiot.
If someone goes gobbing off on Facebook then is that really someone you want representing your company? I know it does depend on your line of work but I would really look at the stuff they are liking and the pages they join in on to make a judgment. I know Britain Fust isn’t on there anymore but anyone who’s liked that wouldn’t even get an interview.

to be honest, my boss's boss is on facebook, and she's bloody outrageous - she's director-level, so its not exactly a useful guide imo.

Credit history would be far more useful imo
We got credit checked when we worked for a big bank. Some woman on the next department had shit loads of debt and had been sacked from her previous job for nicking but still got in. She then stoved her husband's head in for the insurance money.

It's a good way of outing skunks though

This although you should also be aware that non friends can see which groups you are a member of and which organisations you follow. So if you follow your union page, The Morning Star, Militant Vegans United and Grindr fan page, I wont have to be your friend to see that.

I told you to STOP LOOKING AT MY PAGE!!!

Even if you don't search as a recruiter, colleagues will search any new starters. In my last job an email went round announcing a new head of marketing, within minutes it was common knowledge that he'd been done for sexual harassment. A simple Google search by HR would have saved a lot of hassle.

If someone goes gobbing off on Facebook then is that really someone you want representing your company? I know it does depend on your line of work but I would really look at the stuff they are liking and the pages they join in on to make a judgment. I know Britain Fust isn’t on there anymore but anyone who’s liked that wouldn’t even get an interview.
Do they represent the company all the time though? I would say no

For example, I would not want someone on my team, while at work posting their views on religion on the work blog as it always going to upset someone. If then do it on facebook on an evening then it is no concern of mine. I would not want to police what they say or talk about down the pub, why should I want to do that via another social medium?

We have a policy that says if you are found to be fibbing off on Fb you can get sacked anyway. It’s part of the contract.

But there’s a difference between mouthing off and bringing your employer into disrepute, and liking Britain First, or even left wing equivalents.

We got credit checked when we worked for a big bank. Some woman on the next department had shit loads of debt and had been sacked from her previous job for nicking but still got in. She then stoved her husband's head in for the insurance money.
I’ve known people get the job but fail the credit check for our team.

For example, I would not want someone on my team, while at work posting their views on religion on the work blog as it always going to upset someone. If then do it on facebook on an evening then it is no concern of mine. I would not want to police what they say or talk about down the pub, why should I want to do that via another social medium?
According to our contract, we do, on social media. We can get sales for something we say on SM for bringing our company into disrepute. Which is why I don’t say who I work for on FB.

I’ve been involved in several cases involving “fitness to practice” disciplinaries.

Facebook was involved.

Some people really, really don’t think before they share. Arseholes.

Have a look at people's profile pages, employee at..... started working at.......then all the shite they post. Shit sticks imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back