Sanitising Social Media for Work

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just been looking at facebook for interviewees later in the week. Some photos have already clouded my decision making :rolleyes:

are you incapable of judging people on face value when you meet them? Christ knows how employers managed to actually employ anyone in years gone by without the aid of Facebook.

It doesn't, but it doesn't mean potential employers don't have a look.

I always check peoples Facebook and Twitter when interviewing them for a job, you'd be daft not too. They could someone who argues with celebrities on twitter or post minions quote memes on Facebook.

what happens if the person isn't on facebook but goes to the football every weekend, shouts vile abuse at the ref, throws 12 pints down their neck and ends up in the gutter by 11pm every Saturday night? What happens if that same person turns up and nails the job interview because they're able to differentiate between 9-5pm Monday-Friday at work and Saturday-Sunday off work?

this obsession with stalking every aspect of someone's life is ridiculous & needs to stop.

Last edited:

Depending on your job of course but you would be mad not to check up on your public profile when job seeking and rectify anything potentially damaging.

For example a google image search of my name now throws up a picture of me in a bra as the second result. Time to change some flickr settings.

Last edited:
are you incapable of judging people on face value when you meet them? Christ knows how employers managed to actually employ anyone in years gone by without the aid of Facebook.

what happens if the person isn't on facebook but goes to the football every weekend, shouts vile abuse at the ref, throws 12 pints down their neck and ends up in the gutter by 11pm every Saturday night? What happens if that same person turns up and nails the job interview because they're able to differentiate between 9-5pm Monday-Friday at work and Saturday-Sunday off work?

this obsession with stalking every aspect of someone's life is ridiculous & needs to stop.

It’s all about risk vs reward of hiring. If you are stupid enough to make yourself look like a twat on social media, I’m happy enough to make the assumption you are a twat.

It’s not stalking, it’s information someone chooses to put in the public domain. If you think employers aren’t checking and adding that into their decision making process, then you are naive.

I got the same bullshit, i was like you got a card and some expensive flowers why the fuck do i need to stick in on facebook its the same when we go on holiday

I used to love holidays when i was a kid u were lucky if you got 3 or 4 polaroids of the Trip now its like SNAP SNAP f***ing snap, HEW man were not f***ing Asian put ya phone away and enjoy our holiday

I MUST SHOW MY FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK HOW MUCH FUN I AM HAVING IN THIS HOT COUNTRY ABROAD
Has to wait a month for pics to be developed and sent back when I was a kid. Probably took a year for the film to be used up as well so the prints were ancient history when they came back.

Surely LinkedIn is your professional profile. What you post on FB has got fuck all to do with any employer, unless you’re rubbishing the company.
Aaaaaaaaaah I get it! You had me fooled. I just hope I’m not the last one to figure it out.:oops::oops:
You’re some sort of comedy character experiment aren’t you? Like Partridge or The Office or Alli G or Mr Bean even? A comedic naive type who hasn’t quite got to grips with the 21st century and it’s customs. When is the writer gonna take the idea to a production company? Is it gonna be tv, radio or internet based? Mebbes an across the board type thing? Fillums and songs even?

I can’t wait. Keep us informed will you?

Common sense - but instead of the above, you can do 2 things:

1 - Move work friends (or anyone who you don't want to see everything) to "acquaintances" instead of proper friends
2 - Make most of your posts to "Friends except acquaintances"

Then nobody other than your "real friends" can see any of your posts.

You can CHOOSE you post to all friends, or even to post publicly - but you can be nice and careful with how you use that.

There's even a tool that will go through all of your historic posts and set them to FeA too IIRC.

This is what I do. Pictures of me black out drunk to my real mates, pictures of me walking in the park to everyone.

While they will obviously check, I doubt they'd ever ask about it in an interview.
Anyone daft enuff to have owt controversial on there probably won’t get an interview.

That’s getting the wrong end of the stick in epic proportions even for this place!

It’s all about risk vs reward of hiring. If you are stupid enough to make yourself look like a twat on social media, I’m happy enough to make the assumption you are a twat.

It’s not stalking, it’s information someone chooses to put in the public domain. If you think employers aren’t checking and adding that into their decision making process, then you are naive.
It’s expensive getting rid of a bad appointment anarl. As safc enthusiasts I’d think we’d all be aware of this.

Last edited:
Yeah i have family down south and was nice to be able to share pics of the Bairns etc etc but now all i see is adverts, shite videos of people being wankers

And people sharing shit memes and pics of kebabs. i cringe everyime i see one of my lasses shit Status updates

My missus has showed me some of the shite her mates post on Facebook. Education isn’t something these people have been subject to.

I don’t mind some daft memes every now and again. It’s the ‘av neva bin so angree in mi lyf’ shit that annoys me.

Probably common sense, but it will take a lot of years for your digital footprint to removed from all of the web archives/searches anyway even if you delete everything today.

It is also beginning to sound like anyone who has ever done a quiz with their facebook id is likely to have had their data harvested by Cambridge Analytica so likely they have details of all your posts/contacts/interests (although they seem to have friends up high that are allowing them time to delete anything that might incriminate them!)

It is quite alarming the amount of data you can get via an app/login that uses facebook, put all that together with your friends network and thousands of other facebook users and its very powerful data and data is always for sale.

#deletefacebook edit: <- that’s a link btw, the forum has stripped out the link text

Good read. I still have mine, basically use it just for Oauth... login to Spotify and what not with it.

Deleted all posts, friends, likes, check ins, changed my DOB, home town set to Entebbe etc. Funny how it still recommends people I know as friends. :lol:

Fuck off man, i act the Goat on here, take the piss out of Celebs on Twitter,,, I rarely post on FB anymore i just use that as a tool for wanking, i also like to get smashed on a weekend and

Does that make me any less able to do my job?

Its a load of shite, Employers should fuck off and stop thinking that your a slave to the bastard machine

Fuck off man, i act the Goat on here, take the piss out of Celebs on Twitter,,, I rarely post on FB anymore i just use that as a tool for wanking, i also like to get smashed on a weekend and

Does that make me any less able to do my job?

Its a load of shite, Employers should fuck off and stop thinking that your a slave to the bastard machine

It's nothing to do with being unable to do your job. At no point have I said that. It's an employer doing due diligence and risk assessment based on your online profile.

It's nothing about being a slave to the machine, I just don't want to a hire a f***ing tit that is going to cost more getting rid of than they offer in their role. So will try a mitigate that. There's also a question of team culture, and whether that person looks like they'd fit in with the existing team from their online profile. (This is less of a consideration for big business, but certainly something to take note of for smaller businesses)

It's your choice what you chose to put in the public domain, and as it's public others can use it and interpret it as they chose to.

It's nothing to do with being unable to do your job. At no point have I said that. It's an employer doing due diligence and risk assessment based on your online profile.

It's nothing about being a slave to the machine, I just don't want to a hire a f***ing tit that is going to cost more getting rid of than they offer in their role. So will try a mitigate that. There's also a question of team culture, and whether that person looks like they'd fit in with the existing team from their online profile. (This is less of a consideration for big business, but certainly something to take note of for smaller businesses)

It's your choice what you chose to put in the public domain
, and as it's public others can use it and interpret it as they chose to.

thats why its best to keep it hidden and use a fake profile when telling Joey barton that hes a knob

It was the profile picture in skimpy swimwear and my comment was tongue in cheek too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back