Sanitising Social Media for Work

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30853

In a recent conversation with an employment agent, I was told to clean up my social media before a potential employer had a chance to search for me online.

The agent said that I was innocuous compared to other people, but anything that portrayed me as anything but a professional person should be deleted or edited.

Holiday and family photos were, within reason, okay, put I should thing twice about politically charged or even mild sexually explicit posts and also think twice about some funnies I forwarded from mates. Even if not explicitly stated, if employed I would indirectly be representing the company.

This was apparently not a direct go at me and was something the agency said to everyone.

That said, I was told the employer would probably do a search on potential employees' digital footprints.

Over the top or common sense?

In a recent conversation with an employment agent, I was told to clean up my social media before a potential employer had a chance to search for me online.

The agent said that I was innocuous compared to other people, but anything that portrayed me as anything but a professional person should be deleted or edited.

Holiday and family photos were, within reason, okay, put I should thing twice about politically charged or even mild sexually explicit posts and also think twice about some funnies I forwarded from mates. Even if not explicitly stated, if employed I would indirectly be representing the company.

This was apparently not a direct go at me and was something the agency said to everyone.

That said, I was told the employer would probably do a search on potential employees' digital footprints.

Just set ya Facebook to PVT man and if employers asks just say you dont havea FB profile because its full of bellends and people posting photos of Kebabs as if they are fine cuisine

been said more than once that your posts on here would get you into bother
Yeah but this is anonymous so it’s fine.

Surely LinkedIn is your professional profile. What you post on FB has got fuck all to do with any employer, unless you’re rubbishing the company.

Last edited:
Was a great tool to keep in touch with old friends and family in Oz at the start, then it snowballed into an advertising tool and the knackers posting all manner of shite on.

Yeah i have family down south and was nice to be able to share pics of the Bairns etc etc but now all i see is adverts, shite videos of people being wankers

And people sharing shit memes and pics of kebabs. i cringe everyime i see one of my lasses shit Status updates

I’d hate an employer to check what’s posted on here.

“Im sorry sir but you’re sacked”

“Why”

“Well it appears that you shower with your dog, shit in your wife’s knicker drawer and once karate chopped a seagull in half”

Could only discriminate if the job was making lingerie for animals.

Yeah but this is anonymous so it’s fine.

Surely LinkedIn is your professional profile. What you post on FB has got fuck all to do with any employer, unless you’re rubbishing the company.

It doesn't, but it doesn't mean potential employers don't have a look.

I always check peoples Facebook and Twitter when interviewing them for a job, you'd be daft not too. They could someone who argues with celebrities on twitter or post minions quote memes on Facebook.

It doesn't, but it doesn't mean potential employers don't have a look.

I always check peoples Facebook and Twitter when interviewing them for a job, you'd be daft not too. They could someone who argues with celebrities on twitter or post minions quote memes on Facebook.

isnt that the only reason to join twitter to take the piss out of Celebs and Joey Barton

Mine is set to friends only with very limited access.

and also just common sense. Howwver if they knew who I was on here and went through posts I'd be doomed
This although you should also be aware that non friends can see which groups you are a member of and which organisations you follow. So if you follow your union page, The Morning Star, Militant Vegans United and Grindr fan page, I wont have to be your friend to see that.

And people sharing shit memes and pics of kebabs. i cringe everyime i see one of my lasses shit Status updates
I try and persuade her to avoid putting shite on, doesnt stop her, yet her firends seem to lap it all up, no harm I guess.

She wasnt happy I didnt put a message on about her on Mothers Day! :)

I try and persuade her to avoid putting shite on, doesnt stop her, yet her firends seem to lap it all up, no harm I guess.

She wasnt happy I didnt put a message on about her on Mothers Day! :)

I got the same bullshit, i was like you got a card and some expensive flowers why the fuck do i need to stick in on facebook its the same when we go on holiday

I used to love holidays when i was a kid u were lucky if you got 3 or 4 polaroids of the Trip now its like SNAP SNAP f***ing snap, HEW man were not f***ing Asian put ya phone away and enjoy our holiday

I MUST SHOW MY FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK HOW MUCH FUN I AM HAVING IN THIS HOT COUNTRY ABROAD

Back