Sanitising Social Media for Work

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Depends on the job on offer. I know a few lads on site who post videos of stuff that could end up with significant injuries and every health and safety breach known to man. Would I want them on my site?
This is for office based. Imagine the stereotypical secreatary glasses removed and hair shaking type of image!!

to be honest, my boss's boss is on facebook, and she's bloody outrageous - she's director-level, so its not exactly a useful guide imo.

Credit history would be far more useful imo

my last boss TL used to just LIKE pictures of the women in the office and post pervy comments and also post pictures of himself in his dressing gown surrounded by 2 cats

WHAT A GUY

I stopped accepting friend request from anyone at work after some bellend grassed me up for posting "Ha'way, get into these fuckers" during the League Cup semi final against Man Utd. :D

Apparently I made it worse by replying "yea, and?" when my director presented it to me alongside someone from HR, and for refusing to sign a reprimand letter that acknowledged I'd done something wrong. After a standoff they had to re-write the letter to say that I acknowledged that I'd done something which they considered to be wrong. They sent out new social media guidelines about a month after that. :lol:

Loads of recruiters check if you have a Facebook account, and if so, you're binned off.

the agency who got me this job asked me to leave a review and post a like on there page

erm nah fuck off

I stopped accepting friend request from anyone at work after some bellend grassed me up for posting "Ha'way, get into these fuckers" during the League Cup semi final against Man Utd. :D

Apparently I made it worse by replying "yea, and?" when my director presented it to me alongside someone from HR, and for refusing to sign a reprimand letter that acknowledged I'd done something wrong. After a standoff they had to re-write the letter to say that I acknowledged that I'd done something which they considered to be wrong. They sent out new social media guidelines about a month after that. :lol:

are you joking mate you got pulled up at work for that, do you still work there

are you joking mate you got pulled up at work for that, do you still work there

Indeed. The Swiss are pretty uptight and a bit literal, so I had a rather painful (and ludicrous) conversation in which I tried to explain to two particularly serious Swiss types that while I said "these fuckers", that this does not actually mean that I consider Man Utd or the people of Manchester to be "fuckers". It's more of a throwaway exclamation.

"then who are the fuckers?" was the reply I got. :rolleyes:

I changed divisions after that, and while my new director saw the funny side, he said I had to unpin my reprimand letter from the wall. :D

Quite right too.

Indeed. The Swiss are pretty uptight and a bit literal, so I had a rather painful (and ludicrous) conversation in which I tried to explain to two particularly serious Swiss types that while I said "these fuckers", that this does not actually mean that I consider Man Utd or the people of Manchester to be "fuckers". It's more of a throwaway exclamation.

"then who are the fuckers?" was the reply I got. :rolleyes:

I changed divisions after that, and while my new director saw the funny side, he said I had to unpin my reprimand letter from the wall. :D

The Germans should of invaded the Little fucks they offer fuck all to the world other than corrupt politicians and less cheese for ya money

I am genuinely amazed at some of the things people are prepared to 'share' on facebook

my parameters for facebook are: if I am not prepared to go outside and shout it to the whole street its not suitable to post it

I hate facebook with a passion but alas you DO need to engage with the devil for business it appears
I never share anything and I think in the 3 years I’ve been on I’ve posted on my wall twice :lol:
I use it to keep in touch with my mates in the uk and for looking at my mates wives in bikinis

I consider jousting with work over facebook posts a perk of the job. It's up to them to prove anything, and they never can. I don't really do it any more because I'm not surrounded by arseholes, but at my previous job I took great delight in everybody knowing exactly what I was talking about but them not being able to pin it on me.

I've just done a standard search of myself on Google. I come up a few times, partially due to work I did for a local university in the past.

My Linkedin profile comes straight up and I actually look quite good to a prospective employer.

That said, my Twitter profile shows up although my Facebook profile doesn't. I would prefer it if my Twitter profile was not visible from Google as I would like some aspects to be private.

That said, identity theft given some of the information that comes up needs to be looked at and I'll have to check each to ensure birth date and home address, etc. don't show. I don't think they do, but I think I better run through my online entries all the same.

Just set ya Facebook to PVT man and if employers asks just say you dont havea FB profile because its full of bellends and people posting photos of Kebabs as if they are fine cuisine
Shirley there's not employers out there who think its a prerequisite for all their employees to have a Facebook page?

It is one of the things I don't like about Facebook. Anything you do is against your full name, where on the likes of here there is a degree of anonymity. You can have a laugh on here, with the similar level of chat you would have in the pub. Pub type chat on Facebook or swearing, in their own time from home is landing people in trouble with work.

I'm recruiting a couple of posts at the moment and it never entered my head to check Facebook, until I read this thread - any I'm not going to do it.

Back