Same starting 11 v Peterborough or gooch in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooch can start when he consistently shows his decision making has improved, stops giving free kicks away in the top 1/3 of the pitch to relieve the pressure on the opposition and stops whining on to the refs when he doesn't get his own way. Time to grow up lad and as with McGeady, Parkinson may be offering you choice and you had better make the right one. As at MK last season class goal and shows what he is capable of, we want more.
He was in double figures last season with 8 games to play, and was one of our best players. He also got about 8 or 9 the previous season and gets assists.

He's strong as bull, quick and direct and is actually our best player at holding the ball up and arguably at running with it as well. If him and Maguire play every week they'll get somewhere near 15 goals each I'm sure. I know he gets frustrated and sometimes gives away daft fouls, but he brings a lot to the side.

He was in double figures last season with 8 games to play, and was one of our best players. He also got about 8 or 9 the previous season and gets assists.

He's strong as bull, quick and direct and is actually our best player at holding the ball up and arguably at running with it as well. If him and Maguire play every week they'll get somewhere near 15 goals each I'm sure. I know he gets frustrated and sometimes gives away daft fouls, but he brings a lot to the side.
Agree and those 2 will be our main scorers again this season.The settled team usually comes after 3/4 games early season

Was it his fresh legs as a sub that allowed that run through their defence? Would it have happened if he started? I've no idea, but it's certainly a great asset to have on the bench when they go stale on the pitch.
it is the main reason i like him he tries, sometimes he will be better to have as a impact sub. Dont know if i would put im in the starting 11 but he will be my first sub.

I thought O'Brien looked steady. I'd be inclined to keep the same side. Prior to yesterday's game, Gooch has been pretty poor and was rightly benched. Is he a good player? Undoubtedly so, but I think O'Brien needs more game time. If Gooch plays, I'd be inclided to swap O'Brien for Graham and play O'Brien centrally with Gooch and Maguire either side.

I want to see Grigg alongside Graham.

Infact i would make a few changes but Parkinson wont. Scowen for Power, Grigg for O'Brien and Grigg for a centre half and change formation.

Id make the scowen and Grigg changes also. I’ve given up shouting for a formation change as I’ve accepted it won’t happen. Don’t actually think the formation is that bad a problem, bigger issue is the hoofball, which would also happen in 451. The way we played yesterday, Grigg would have flourished I think, got into good positions just had no poacher in the box to be in the right place
I’d be tempted to put O’Brien in the middle, Gooch and Maguire either side. I think movement is more troublesome for defenders in this league than physicality.

I agree to a degree, but think as Parkinson is married to the hoof, we must accommodate that with Danny Graham in the side
Why do people think a combination of two similar forwards Graham and Grigg is going to bring us goals ?

In what way are they similar?

Last edited:
Id make the scowen and Grigg changes also. I’ve given up shouting for a formation change as I’ve accepted it won’t happen. Don’t actually think the formation is that bad a problem, bigger issue is the hoofball, which would also happen in 451. The way we played yesterday, Grigg would have flourished I think, got into good positions just had no poacher in the box to be in the right place

I agree to a degree, but think as Parkinson is married to the hoof, we must accommodate that with Danny Graham in the side

In what way are they similar?
Target men who need service to score rather than capable of creating goals on their own in open play
Why change a winning strategy? Play safe then hoy on the California Messi when their defence is knackered.
Can you see Gooch happy with that ?

Can't leave gooch out after that goal surely
The trouble with Gooch, as many have said before, is he is just too inconsistant. He obviously has plenty of talent ,but has a few good games and then quite a few poor ones. Like many other footballers he seems to lack the motivation to give it everything every week. Obrien hasn't done much yet but hopefully he will get some goals ,but al least now Gooch has some competition. Now we may see what he is capable of, hopefully.

Wingers are notoriously inconsistent because they try to do things that few other players can do, high risk high reward attempts. If he was consistently making the right decisions he wouldn’t be playing in league one. As a fan base we have to start accepting that players can have good games and bad games, that they can make good decisions and bad decisions. It sometimes feels like a player has to be perfect to be considered decent otherwise they’re shit with little grey area between.

Hume yesterday is a good example. Seen a few people calling him shit and saying he was crap yesterday because he put in four bad crosses in the first half. Crossing is a high risk pass. A cross success rate of around 20% is deemed good whereas the elite level crossers like TAA are at about 30%. 1 in 68 crosses leads to a goal. The fact he put in 5 crosses and we scored from one is what we should focus on, not the bad ones. If he completed more than that he’d have one of the best cross rates in the world. That’s before you even consider the standard of the forwards and their movement.

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood but are you suggesting O’Brien upfront because he hasn’t had a chance there? He’s played every game up front.

I’ve liked this post. Crossing well is one of the hardest skills in the game. People defend poor strikers by saying they don’t get the supply from the wings. But it works the other way round. The forward’s positions can make the cross on. There were a couple of occasions when if one had held back from the defensive line Denver would have it easier.

Some posters were suggesting Linden was effective as he was against tired legs. IMHO it was more that he’d been dropped and was determined to make the most of the sub appearance to make a claim for his place back.

Dropping Maguire when he’s been poor has had a kick up the backside effect in the past. It’s never kept him out for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back