Sam Greenwood

Do you not see the downside in that? they are training at poor facilities picking up shit habits training with lower league players sometimes it’s of more benefit to remain at your club and train on a daily basis with better players and coaches

It’s the press that make these comparisons not the managers and coaches
I think playing proper competitive football against really hairy arsed gadgeys would be more beneficial than being pampered and playing tiki taka with overgrown boy-childs.

A lot of them won't end up at big clubs with plush facilities. They're gonna be playing in crap stadiums and earning a crust.

Last edited:

I think playing proper competitive football against really hairy arsed gadgeys would be more beneficial than being pampered and playing tiki taka with overgrown boy-childs.

A lot of them won't end up at big clubs with plush facilities. They're gonna be playing in crap stadiums and earning a crust.
Don’t agree at all you gonna get some Sunday league standard shit coach telling them to open their legs hit the corners snap him etc etc the will benefit more from having top level coaches growing amongst first team players picking up good habits instead of bad. Prem to championship loans yes once you go below that the drop in standard is huge

Don’t agree at all you gonna get some Sunday league standard shit coach telling them to open their legs hit the corners snap him etc etc the will benefit more from having top level coaches growing amongst first team players picking up good habits instead of bad. Prem to championship loans yes once you go below that the drop in standard is huge
Sunday league? I'm talking about the football league man. Championship, L1 and L2.

This thread points to both what is great about our current model and how it will be more difficult to keep it going as we progress through the leagues.

The really good is obvious, good talent d young players are getting their chance and taking it with both hands. The number of young players who are now on course to have a good career in the game is the best advert for what e are doing.

When, and it is when, we are back on n the top flight we could find ourselves in a similar position to the clubs we have said have caused talented players to stagnate.

First, we started this cycle off with almost no quality senior experienced players, so once we had decided to go down the youth route the path to the first team was much easier. That must have been one of the selling points to player we have signed.

Second, as the team develops we are now getting several players who have ten or more years playing left handed n them. This will make it harder to break into the team and get consistent playing time.

The quality of teams we play again net will get stronger and we will take a few heavy defeats at the hands of Man City and so on as we grow. This will test the resilience of a young squad, it is the be thing to talk about playing with your mates in the back garden, as was said by one of the players after the Southampton game.

At the end of the cycle we would all like to think that we are playing in the top half of the Premier League, with Neil and Ekwah dominating games. If you were a 17 year old midfielder looking at a club where you can progress to the first team you might think differently than you would have done at the start of last season. You could see yourself replacing Evans in a couple of years but having to wait to dislodge established players still in their mid twenties.

I am in no way critical of the current model but it will have to evolve and we will lose a number of the current players to the top class s both here or in Europe. Obviously if we get good fees for players who leave we will be signing better quality youngsters, at least that is the theory, but that in its own way makes it more difficult for the next batch of kids and so on.

So if can see us signing players and loaning them out to clubs in the Championship or lower to get them game time. Howe er that will be game time in a different set up and we won’t have the control we have now.

It will be a very nice problem to have and it have faith that the current set up will have already planned for this, but when we critics the big clubs for not bringing young players through let’s hope we have those problems in five years time. Imagine looking at a midfield of Rigg at 21, Jobe at 22, Ekwah at 26 and Neil at 26, you are not going think you are walking in the team. Of course by then we might have sold all of those players for a total of £200m and reinvested it, but you get the point.

do you think it hindered the development of the likes of Henderson(coventry) , Kane (leyton orient, leicester, norwich, millwall), Pickford (alfreton, bradford, preston, darlington, burton, carlisle) , or do you think it helped their careers?

they'd all played 100+ mens first team football by the time they were 21.

then you've got the likes of Ekwah making his senior debut at 21 and greenwood who's made 27 appearances in his entire career mostly as a late substitute

Came on in the second half yesterday and smashed everyone in sight. The complete opposite to the stereotypical lightweight u21 player.
BHH
This thread points to both what is great about our current model and how it will be more difficult to keep it going as we progress through the leagues.

The really good is obvious, good talent d young players are getting their chance and taking it with both hands. The number of young players who are now on course to have a good career in the game is the best advert for what e are doing.

When, and it is when, we are back on n the top flight we could find ourselves in a similar position to the clubs we have said have caused talented players to stagnate.

First, we started this cycle off with almost no quality senior experienced players, so once we had decided to go down the youth route the path to the first team was much easier. That must have been one of the selling points to player we have signed.

Second, as the team develops we are now getting several players who have ten or more years playing left handed n them. This will make it harder to break into the team and get consistent playing time.

The quality of teams we play again net will get stronger and we will take a few heavy defeats at the hands of Man City and so on as we grow. This will test the resilience of a young squad, it is the be thing to talk about playing with your mates in the back garden, as was said by one of the players after the Southampton game.

At the end of the cycle we would all like to think that we are playing in the top half of the Premier League, with Neil and Ekwah dominating games. If you were a 17 year old midfielder looking at a club where you can progress to the first team you might think differently than you would have done at the start of last season. You could see yourself replacing Evans in a couple of years but having to wait to dislodge established players still in their mid twenties.

I am in no way critical of the current model but it will have to evolve and we will lose a number of the current players to the top class s both here or in Europe. Obviously if we get good fees for players who leave we will be signing better quality youngsters, at least that is the theory, but that in its own way makes it more difficult for the next batch of kids and so on.

So if can see us signing players and loaning them out to clubs in the Championship or lower to get them game time. Howe er that will be game time in a different set up and we won’t have the control we have now.

It will be a very nice problem to have and it have faith that the current set up will have already planned for this, but when we critics the big clubs for not bringing young players through let’s hope we have those problems in five years time. Imagine looking at a midfield of Rigg at 21, Jobe at 22, Ekwah at 26 and Neil at 26, you are not going think you are walking in the team. Of course by then we might have sold all of those players for a total of £200m and reinvested it, but you get the point.
I thinks it’s a matter of intent and commitment. It’s why I was (and remain) forgiving of the club moving on senior pros to make space for younger players. Being (and being seen as) a club that gives chances to young players is a self fulfilling thing. We have to show real commitment to it in order to maintain the pipeline. Truth is it’s not a path that any club has really doubled down on thus far. For me that means keeping it up even when we get promoted. Give the players we have a chance, add primarily more young quality to it and let the chips fall where they may. It’s definitely a tough path, but it’ll raise our ceiling as a club - even if it brings risk.

Last edited:
Quotes like

“Stay inside his head”

“ he’s frightened of ya man”

“ destroy the fucka”

Bring players right on that .

BHH

I thinks it’s a matter of intent and commitment. It’s why I was (and remain) forgiving of the club moving on senior pros to make space for younger players. Being (and being seen as) a club that gives chances to young players is a self fulfilling thing. We have to show real commitment to it in order to maintain the pipeline. Truth is it’s not a path that any club has really doubled down on thus far. For me that means keeping it up even when we get promoted. Give the players we have a chance, add primarily more young quality to it and let the chips fall where they may. It’s definitely a tough path, but it’ll raise our ceiling as a club - even if it brings risk.
It also brings a lot of energy to the squad and football playroom with out fear.

do you think it hindered the development of the likes of Henderson(coventry) , Kane (leyton orient, leicester, norwich, millwall), Pickford (alfreton, bradford, preston, darlington, burton, carlisle) , or do you think it helped their careers?

they'd all played 100+ mens first team football by the time they were 21.

then you've got the likes of Ekwah making his senior debut at 21 and greenwood who's made 27 appearances in his entire career mostly as a late substitute
Spurs where on the verge of getting rid of kane they nearly sold him to Leicster for 1 million Coventry where in the championship and had Chris Coleman as manager would you want someone like Steve evans looking after coaching a highly rated youngster ??

Spurs where on the verge of getting rid of kane they nearly sold him to Leicster for 1 million Coventry where in the championship and had Chris Coleman as manager would you want someone like Steve evans looking after coaching a highly rated youngster ??

i'd rather young lads were first team games from a young age than sat in some catagory A academy playing in reserve leagues

name me a top player that has made it after not making a first team debut till he was in his 20s

Kevin Phillips, Ian Wright, Jamie Vardy?

vardy was playing for Stocksbridge first team at 19

phillips played at Baldock semi-pro

wright played in amature leagues till he was 21

this only reinforces my point, none of these players were in top class Category A academies from a young age, getting pampered and protected from the big bad world without ever playing first team football. they worked their way up the ladder the right way

vardy was playing for Stocksbridge first team at 19

phillips played at Baldock semi-pro

wright played in amature leagues till he was 21

this only reinforces my point, none of these players were in top class Category A academies from a young age, getting pampered and protected from the big bad world without ever playing first team football. they worked their way up the ladder the right way
Ah right, I thought you meant league clubs mate

i'd rather young lads were first team games from a young age than sat in some catagory A academy playing in reserve leagues

name me a top player that has made it after not making a first team debut till he was in his 20s
They train and play with the first team sometimes, that is more beneficial been around better players and training with them than going to some league 2 side

Stevenage currently have lads on loan from Man City, Man Utd, and West Ham. Evans seems to be more trusted than you might think (despite him being an arsehole).

Back