Sam Greenwood

Greenwood looked poor when he came on tonight, not just the free kick but generally his touch was poor and he barely got involved. Yes, its early for him at Boro but the Boro fans aren't too impressed so far. He's clearly not rated at Leeds and for someone who is coming up to 22, and someone so highly rated, he seems to have lost his way and his career is stalling a bit before it has really begun. Compare him to Dan Neil who is the same age and decided to stay and develop here at Sunderland. I am not wishing any ill on Greenwood but he's the first one who you can say may have made a mistake in leaving. I wonder how many others have made a mistake as well. Genuinely I would like to see him turn it round but from being one of the best prospects in England when he went to Arsenal he looks a bit lost now.

My good mate younger brother played through all the youth teams with him. Always said he was easily the best player and everygame all the top scouts were watching him. Shame to see hes barely played and like you say 22 year old now. Some players at that age have over a 150 games under their belts

TBH, it's very early days for him at Boro and he's probably not fully match fit but he's at a career crossroads. A lot of very promising youngsters have ended up down in League 1, League 2 or the Conference.
I'm sure the lad has ability but he needs to have appetite and desire to keep getting better. At the moment the approach that Neil took and Rigg looks like taking will be better in the long run. Will be a massive shame if Greenwood doesn't fulfill his potential and that had to be Prem level.
My good mate younger brother played through all the youth teams with him. Always said he was easily the best player and everygame all the top scouts were watching him. Shame to see hes barely played and like you say 22 year old now. Some players at that age have over a 150 games under their belts
All of the lads who left are coming up to 20 or so and need to be playing league football at a decent level or they won't develop. It's a crucial time for their development.

Last edited:
Hourihane League Two Plymouth at a similar age

Egan League One Gillingham

Plenty of time for Greenwood yet

Yeah, he may need to go down to go up. However, I think Greenwood was more highly rated in his teens than either of them as a youngster (unless you're Roy Keane in Hourihane's case).

I'm sure the lad has ability but he needs to have appetite and desire to keep getting better. At the moment the approach that Neil took and Rigg looks like taking will be better in the long run. Will be a massive shame if Greenwood doesn't fulfill his potential and that had to be Prem level.

To be fair to him, when he left, he was 16 and we were on a massive decline. As an elite academy prospect, he'll have believed he could break into the Arsenal side and they do give youngsters some sort of chance.

All of the lads who left are coming up to 20 or so and need to be playing league football at a decent level or they won't develop. It's a crucial time for their development.
In that same team Patterson and Neil are crucial in our line ups. Bali mumba playing weekly at plymouth. Benji kimpioka had chances here. Greenwood has barely played. Few 5 minute cameos for leeds here and there. His minutes at leeds amount to 5 full games. Hes miles behind in his development

Last edited:
To be fair to him, when he left, he was 16 and we were on a massive decline. As an elite academy prospect, he'll have believed he could break into the Arsenal side and they do give youngsters some sort of chance.
I've no problem with the lad leaving for Arsenal. I am just pondering whether he made the right decision. I get what you say about the academy - and Speakman deserves massive credit for both changing the professionalism of it and persuading talent to stay - but, in hindsight, there's no substitute for playing league games. Minutes wise I doubt Greenwood has played more than the equivalent of about 10 games and he's nearly 22. He must he a bit concerned. Unless Hugill gets a loan in January he'll be in the same boat as he's 20 next month.

I've no problem with the lad leaving for Arsenal. I am just pondering whether he made the right decision. I get what you say about the academy - and Speakman deserves massive credit for both changing the professionalism of it and persuading talent to stay - but, in hindsight, there's no substitute for playing league games. Minutes wise I doubt Greenwood has played more than the equivalent of about 10 games and he's nearly 22. He must he a bit concerned. Unless Hugill gets a loan in January he'll be in the same boat as he's 20 next month.

You take the money - you take your chance.

Definitely could of done with a loan move instead of been stuck playing for leeds u21 team and making numbers up on the bench. I do no for a fact he was set to sign for us on loan under Lee Johnson but leeds got a injury in training and the move got called off

Last edited:
It’s almost as if sitting in a big clubs academy stifles players development.

He’ll have a few quid though

I reckon being at a club being ran by Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven would have stifled his development further.

It's no surprise that so many young talents left at the first opportunity.

Thankfully those days are over and all our young (or younger) talents seem desperate to stay.

yep its shocking how few games he has played...fewer than 30 at his age..
I reckon being at a club being ran by Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven would have stifled his development further.

It's no surprise that so many young talents left at the first opportunity.

Thankfully those days are over and all our young (or younger) talents seem desperate to stay.
exceot for the one who left under KLD..

and Greenwood left under short..but apaprt from that..cracking post...

Short term money grabs from big clubs can end up washing out of Football…..It’s the old age debate take the money or develop a little long and then get paid more….Jobe comes to mind he develops 3 years at Sunderland we will sell him to the big 6 squad player who will have to fight for more minutes that’s his track others not so lucky….

Greenwood looked poor when he came on tonight, not just the free kick but generally his touch was poor and he barely got involved. Yes, its early for him at Boro but the Boro fans aren't too impressed so far. He's clearly not rated at Leeds and for someone who is coming up to 22, and someone so highly rated, he seems to have lost his way and his career is stalling a bit before it has really begun. Compare him to Dan Neil who is the same age and decided to stay and develop here at Sunderland. I am not wishing any ill on Greenwood but he's the first one who you can say may have made a mistake in leaving. I wonder how many others have made a mistake as well. Genuinely I would like to see him turn it round but from being one of the best prospects in England when he went to Arsenal he looks a bit lost now.
Give him a chance FFS!!!

Give him a chance FFS!!!
My point was that Greenwood left Sunderland when he was 16 and he is coming up to being 22 soon. As someone else pointed out in that time he has played probably the equivalent of maybe 6 games in terms of minutes on the pitch. Had he stayed at Sunderland he may have played about 120 games, like his pal Dan Neil. Players need to develop their abilities by playing first team football, they need to do that to improve all elements of their game. So far, in terms of his footballing development if not his bank balance, his moves to Arsenal and Leeds have been pretty rubbish, it hasn't happened for someone with such a reputation. And his start to life at Boro has been underwhelming - he looked a poor footballer last night. Of course he may turn it round but at the moment he's looking like a cautionary tale.

Back