Sam Fender

Met him a canny few times through mutual friends, he's a genuinely lovely lad. Do wish he'd pack in the Newcastle fan stuff at his gigs though, never had any issues but always gets me a bit edgy when you're surrounded by pissed up lads giving it the toon toon shite.

Definitely doesn't live in a 5 bed detached either :lol:

Was bragging in Rolling Stone about his new gaff having three bogs the other month so I’m going to assume he has a canny old pile…

To be fair any sort of new build of 2 beds plus will have 3 toilets like

I’ve got nowt against Sam Fender in the slightest, I met him via work this year and we got on well. I’m merely disputing the OP who said he doesn’t live in a pad for some reason, despite claiming to know him personally.

“Three baths and four toilets!” Fender hoots as he shows RS around the new house he’s just bought himself, “I’ve f***ing made it!”

Fender only moved in a couple of months ago and the front gate still has the previous owner’s name set in metal along either side. “I’m thinking of getting rid of that and just having ‘daft’ ‘****’ on there,” he gestures with a grin. “The neighbours won’t be happy, but they’ll know who lives here.”

“I love my home. I love Shields,” he continues. “I’m really chuffed, right, because it’s a posh house, but I’ve still got an NE29 postcode, so I feel like a [Geordie tough nut] radgee.”

He is a local lad who connects with younguns. Bruce Springsteen for 20 year olds who shop at Primark and watch I’m a celebrity.
He will be playing football stadia in a couple of years.

Hypersonic missiles is an anthem. Genuinely toe tapping.
I cant see the hate for him to be honest.

Writes a decent song, can hold a tune and connects with the more 'thoughtful' youth of today. He's touched on some very relevant subject matter in some of his songs.

If he supported Sunderland the mags would hate him and we'd love him 😀

I cant see the hate for him to be honest.

Writes a decent song, can hold a tune and connects with the more 'thoughtful' youth of today. He's touched on some very relevant subject matter in some of his songs.

If he supported Sunderland the mags would hate him and we'd love him 😀
This exactly. I'm not a regular acquaintance of Sam's, but I've had the pleasure of meeting him (and do see him) a lot through let's say, a 'strong family connection' to the band. I count myself a pretty decent judge of character and what I see is a young man who has suffered in his life, but who, through immense (and I mean immense!) talent, incredibly hard work and the love of those around him, has put himself on course to reach the very top of his profession someday. He is a truly gifted songwriter to the point where the likes of Sting and Elton John recognise this and have at various times taken him under their wing very early in his career... a major compliment indeed! Sam is a sensitive soul and has a genuine social conscience: that he waves a rival footy team flag so much offends people on here is more a measure of the paucity of their own intellects, not his.
Believe me if you want or not, I dont care. Any of you would find in him a genuine, self-effacing kind, fiercely intelligent, thoughtful young man, who is humble and grateful for everything he is achieving right now. The fact he is so tied still to his working class roots speaks volumes for his groundedness. He has a God given gift for bringing the different shades of life alive to so many through his lyrics.
I dont know anyone who knows him that has ever spoken ill of him, except perhaps through sheer jealousy. He's flawed, no saint, but no shallow fly by night 'pop star' either. I'd go so far as to say he possesses genius.

Hope that helps...

This exactly. I'm not a regular acquaintance of Sam's, but I've had the pleasure of meeting him (and do see him) a lot through let's say, a 'strong family connection' to the band. I count myself a pretty decent judge of character and what I see is a young man who has suffered in his life, but who, through immense (and I mean immense!) talent, incredibly hard work and the love of those around him, has put himself on course to reach the very top of his profession someday. He is a truly gifted songwriter to the point where the likes of Sting and Elton John recognise this and have at various times taken him under their wing very early in his career... a major compliment indeed! Sam is a sensitive soul and has a genuine social conscience: that he waves a rival footy team flag so much offends people on here is more a measure of the paucity of their own intellects, not his.
Believe me if you want or not, I dont care. Any of you would find in him a genuine, self-effacing kind, fiercely intelligent, thoughtful young man, who is humble and grateful for everything he is achieving right now. The fact he is so tied still to his working class roots speaks volumes for his groundedness. He has a God given gift for bringing the different shades of life alive to so many through his lyrics.
I dont know anyone who knows him that has ever spoken ill of him, except perhaps through sheer jealousy. He's flawed, no saint, but no shallow fly by night 'pop star' either. I'd go so far as to say he possesses genius.

Hope that helps...
Could he not just leave the football stuff at home? It has no place in music. Politics does, 100%. We all own political albums. I don’t own a single album about football. We had people moaning on here a few weeks back about Manic Street Preachers bringing politics to their live shows which was idiotic. They’ve made a career out of writing politically motivated songs. If you go to see them, then you cannot be surprised that there will be a political dimension to their show. Going to see some lad and feeling like you’re at a football match isn’t for me and it has nothing to do with my own intelligence. It is of course much worse because he is a Mag but equally I don’t want to go to a gig and wave a hundred Rochdale flags and chant their songs. The Mags are notorious for this. As pointed out earlier, I’ve been to gigs all over the country for the last 20 years and Newcastle is the only place you consistently hear football chants at gigs. They can’t leave it at home.

I have no doubt every word you have said is true. He does come across as a genuine and likeable young man.

Back