Sam Fender

Could he not just leave the football stuff at home? It has no place in music. Politics does, 100%. We all own political albums. I don’t own a single album about football. We had people moaning on here a few weeks back about Manic Street Preachers bringing politics to their live shows which was idiotic. They’ve made a career out of writing politically motivated songs. If you go to see them, then you cannot be surprised that there will be a political dimension to their show. Going to see some lad and feeling like you’re at a football match isn’t for me and it has nothing to do with my own intelligence. It is of course much worse because he is a Mag but equally I don’t want to go to a gig and wave a hundred Rochdale flags and chant their songs. The Mags are notorious for this. As pointed out earlier, I’ve been to gigs all over the country for the last 20 years and Newcastle is the only place you consistently hear football chants at gigs. They can’t leave it at home.

I have no doubt every word you have said is true. He does come across as a genuine and likeable young man.
Oasis were one of the biggest bands of 90s and they weren’t quiet about their football allegiance. No one apart from some Sunderland supporters will give a fuck.
That is one of the most popular genres on the planet and he's near the top of it in this country. The hype is warranted really. It's not to my tastes, but I can see why he's very popular.
No idea why people don’t understand that artists are popular for a reason. People like what they do.

Could he not just leave the football stuff at home? It has no place in music. Politics does, 100%. We all own political albums. I don’t own a single album about football. We had people moaning on here a few weeks back about Manic Street Preachers bringing politics to their live shows which was idiotic. They’ve made a career out of writing politically motivated songs. If you go to see them, then you cannot be surprised that there will be a political dimension to their show. Going to see some lad and feeling like you’re at a football match isn’t for me and it has nothing to do with my own intelligence. It is of course much worse because he is a Mag but equally I don’t want to go to a gig and wave a hundred Rochdale flags and chant their songs. The Mags are notorious for this. As pointed out earlier, I’ve been to gigs all over the country for the last 20 years and Newcastle is the only place you consistently hear football chants at gigs. They can’t leave it at home.

I have no doubt every word you have said is true. He does come across as a genuine and likeable young man.
He was basically telling mackems to fuck off at one of his gigs at the Academy which wasn't exactly ideal either tbf. I'll put it down to youthful silliness but slagging off your paying public isn't a great look imo.

Oasis were one of the biggest bands of 90s and they weren’t quiet about their football allegiance. No one apart from some Sunderland supporters will give a fuck.

No idea why people don’t understand that artists are popular for a reason. People like what they do.

This

Maine Road gig is one of their most legendary

I think those suddenly suggesting football and music aren’t at all linked are perhaps being a touch tribalistic (and wrong)

I would suggest there’s a difference between letting your allegiance be known and making gigs a full on football fest like I’ve seen with Sam Fender.
This

Maine Road gig is one of their most legendary

I think those suddenly suggesting football and music aren’t at all linked are perhaps being a touch tribalistic (and wrong)
Fair point there. I saw Oasis ten times and I never felt like I was at a Man City match though.

I openly admit it’s worse cos he’s a Mag mind 🤣 but I’ve also pointed out that they, in my experience, bring football to gigs regularly when it has no relevance at all. I don’t experience this anywhere else around the country when attending gigs.

Last edited:
Fair point there. I saw Oasis ten times and I never felt like I was at a Man City match though.

I openly admit it’s worse cos he’s a Mag mind 🤣 but I’ve also pointed out that they, in my experience, bring football to gigs regularly when it has no relevance at all. I don’t experience this anywhere else around the country when attending gigs.

It’s pretty much just because he’s a mag?

Football fandom and music bubble up together constantly, it’s no big deal IMO

If you were a Man U or a Wednesday or Sheff U fan you’d be thinking fuck these lot below. Even named after a club legend :lol:

It’s pretty much just because he’s a mag?

Football fandom and music bubble up together constantly, it’s no big deal IMO

If you were a Man U or a Wednesday or Sheff U fan you’d be thinking fuck these lot below. Even named after a club legend :lol:

Image isn’t working for me.

My own experience is that Mags are infinitely worse than any other people around the country for having to show their ‘Magness’. Other than knowing what team a band supports I’ve never been to a gig and felt like their allegiance was a big part of the show. I would feel the same way if I went to see a band in Liverpool and they were waving Liverpool flags all night and singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ in between every song.

He’s just not for me if what I’ve been shown from his recent gigs is the norm. I also realise that he won’t give one single fuck that a daft Mackem on a message board thinks 🤣

I honestly wish him good luck, though. He seems like a canny lad.

Edit: link is working now. You’re right I wouldn’t go to that gig if I supported either of those teams. I wouldn’t go as a Sunderland fan either. It doesn’t help that they just aren’t very good mind 😉

Last edited:
I would suggest there’s a difference between letting your allegiance be known and making gigs a full on football fest like I’ve seen with Sam Fender.
I saw him by mistake in the summer . Had a free ticket. I agree it was like a Newcastle match but I’d be amazed if it was like that anywhere else. I’m not a fan (hardly the demographic 😀) but I can see why the younguns like him. To be honest his songs say a lot more to average teen/20 something than 99% of modern music.

I saw him by mistake in the summer . Had a free ticket. I agree it was like a Newcastle match but I’d be amazed if it was like that anywhere else. I’m not a fan (hardly the demographic 😀) but I can see why the younguns like him. To be honest his songs say a lot more to average teen/20 something than 99% of modern music.
Like I say, I wish him well and I agree with a lot of what has been said about him and also see why he is popular.

My lass follows him on social media and reckons he’s tried to get crowds elsewhere chanting Mag songs.

Guaranteed that on the next album/tour he'll tone down the NUFC/I'm a mad as fuck Geordie craic. I just can't see how he will get to the "next level" if he doesn't to be honest. I think he's aware of that too.

Got no issue with him embracing his inner Mag, his music is quality and he’s a great lad

Many of my musical heroes are mags such as Knopfler, Sting, Jimmy Nail ..

Back