Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference American IPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stout just means "strong".

Porter is a style of beer. Stout Porters were just strong porters. Then the word Stout fell out of use for other styles of beer, leaving only porters using it - and then because of that, the porter bit started to get dropped too.

Guiness is really a porter, and not an especially stout porter at that.

You can have a stout beer of any type really. Durham Brewery does a nice a White Stout. White Stout
"Origin: Two hundred years ago, before the porter brewers commandeered “stout” to mean stout or strong porter, a stout beer was a strong beer. It did not have to be black. We have re-created the style using modern hops and a full malt body. "
Although I believe that these days, stouts are made with roasted barley as the main speciality grains whereas stouts are brown black or patent malt based.

I always thought that the term Porter came from the fact that it was a drink mainly drunk by porters. Here's what wiki says.

Porter is a dark style of beer developed in London from well-hopped beers made from brown malt.[1][2] The name was first recorded in the 18th century, and is thought to come from its popularity with street and river porters, who carried objects for others.[3]
The history and development of stout and porter beer types are intertwined.[4] The name "stout", used for a dark beer, is believed to have come about because strong porters were marketed under such names as "extra porter", "double porter", and "stout porter". The term stout porter would later be shortened to just stout. For example, Guinness Extra Stout was originally called "Extra Superior Porter" and was only given the name "Extra Stout" in 1840.[5]

To be honest, I wouldn't get too het up over the entomology of stout or porter, just get stuck into it. My local brewery is having an open day on Saturday. They do a fab Mr M's Porter, which is lush. They have also kept a 2017 brew back for two years, so that should be fab to try alongside the current on. But what I am really looking forward to is a special one brewed with vanilla and blueberries. Sounds disgusting and nice at the same time.

The Southwark Brewing Company do a lush porter too. @Dougal
Southwark Brewing co. certainly do. The Potters' Field Porter is grand, the Salted Caramel Stout's pretty darn good too! However, Lee Howey preferred the Black IPA, whereas I prefer the delight of sipping the Imperial Russian Stout ........ but at 8.9%, it's one to drink in moderation :). Then again the LPA's a canny drop as well, as @CollingwoodFTM well knows :lol:

I feel like it's changed since I started drinking it around 10 year ago or so. Same as Sierra Nevada. Both beautiful, but they don't seem to taste as good as they used to.

I think its very nice now so must have been splendid 10 years ago ( I was into IPA at that time ) :)

Finally got round to drinking it. Not for me like. Too citrusy.

Having a couple of Sunnis & Gunn Bourbon Barrel Porter now.

Also bought my first Crimbo bottles from Marksies today. Christmas Ruby Ale & a spiced porter.

Finally got round to drinking it. Not for me like. Too citrusy.

Having a couple of Sunnis & Gunn Bourbon Barrel Porter now.

Also bought my first Crimbo bottles from Marksies today. Christmas Ruby Ale & a spiced porter.
Not for everyone I guess. I love sharp Citrus-y IPAs. Sirencraft beers for example. Cracking brewery.

Not for everyone I guess. I love sharp Citrus-y IPAs. Sirencraft beers for example. Cracking brewery.
Salopian is the one to look out for if that's your style, they do some lovely pales, just before I left Fitzys yesterday they put on a lovely Wylam beer called Hickey The Rake, absolutely gorgeous if you like citrus notes, so nice I had to stop for another! I'm not a stout/porter man usually but the Titanic Plum Porter they always have on is really nice.

Salopian is the one to look out for if that's your style, they do some lovely pales, just before I left Fitzys yesterday they put on a lovely Wylam beer called Hickey The Rake, absolutely gorgeous if you like citrus notes, so nice I had to stop for another! I'm not a stout/porter man usually but the Titanic Plum Porter they always have on is really nice.

I love Hickey the Rake. There's a cracking pint of it in Mexico 70 and it goes really well with the scran.

I feel like it's changed since I started drinking it around 10 year ago or so. Same as Sierra Nevada. Both beautiful, but they don't seem to taste as good as they used to.

Probably because there is alot more choice now mate. Goose Island IPA was one of the first ones I tried about 10 years ago.

Probably because there is alot more choice now mate. Goose Island IPA was one of the first ones I tried about 10 years ago.
My local had that on draft when I first moved here. They replaced it with Amstel shortly after which took away the only decent reason to frequent my local. Now I have a trek into town to my nearest decent pub. (The Crispin, Wokingham, if anyone is ever in town. Keep a cracking ale in there.)

Had some Zombie Cake last weekend was alright but a little bit bland. Best stout/porter I’ve tasted was at Craft Beer Calling called 3 bean stout by Lervig brewery - absolutely outstanding

Go to Morrisons (Shields had it in last week, dunno about Seaburn). Buy Siren Breakfast Stout, £1.75 a can for 330ml but 6.5%.

Thank me later.
Not sure if I’ve had that before.
Had some Zombie Cake last weekend was alright but a little bit bland. Best stout/porter I’ve tasted was at Craft Beer Calling called 3 bean stout by Lervig brewery - absolutely outstanding
I like Zombie Cake like. That 3 bean one rings a bell. Might have had that, but can’t remember how it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back