Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference American IPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that the term Porter came from the fact that it was a drink mainly drunk by porters. Here's what wiki says.

Porter is a dark style of beer developed in London from well-hopped beers made from brown malt.[1][2] The name was first recorded in the 18th century, and is thought to come from its popularity with street and river porters, who carried objects for others.[3]
The history and development of stout and porter beer types are intertwined.[4] The name "stout", used for a dark beer, is believed to have come about because strong porters were marketed under such names as "extra porter", "double porter", and "stout porter". The term stout porter would later be shortened to just stout. For example, Guinness Extra Stout was originally called "Extra Superior Porter" and was only given the name "Extra Stout" in 1840.[5]

To be honest, I wouldn't get too het up over the entomology of stout or porter, just get stuck into it. My local brewery is having an open day on Saturday. They do a fab Mr M's Porter, which is lush. They have also kept a 2017 brew back for two years, so that should be fab to try alongside the current on. But what I am really looking forward to is a special one brewed with vanilla and blueberries. Sounds disgusting and nice at the same time.

The Southwark Brewing Company do a lush porter too. @Dougal
You have just agreed with me, rather than saying anything different :)

Porter is the style.

I was given a case of Japanese IPA from a Japanese lad I know. He brings it back with him after a visit home. As a fizzy lager drinker I didn't find it very appealing and gave most of it away. Told him that I drank every can and loved it.:)

Reactions: PTR
I was in York last week and one of the bars had a 10% stout on draught......ouch ya fucker :lol:
In Brew Dog a few years ago & got a paddle of thirds of pints between me & owa lass. All dark beers. Sat down with it & she said “what are these then?” Pointed at the first one & said “this is 8.4%”. She proclaimed that as “ridiculous” before I went on to explain that was the weakest & it went up to 13%. Had a thoroughly enjoyable time though.
Real men know the difference between stout and porter.
Let’s be honest, if you had a selection put in front of you without labels, you wouldn’t be able to tell.

Last edited:
As the title suggests, the supermarkets own America IPA - it’s a cracking beer.
Brewed by Marstons for Sainsbury’s and less than £1.60 a bottle usually. Give it a go.

Dont they actually have 2 "own" IPAs . One with a greenish label and the other with a jazzy label with a vikings head on it ? Both very nice like

In Brew Dog a few years ago & got a paddle of thirds of pints between me & owa lass. All dark beers. Sat down with it & she said “what are these then?” Pointed at the first one & said “this is 8.4%”. She proclaimed that as “ridiculous” before I went on to explain that was the weakest & it went up to 13%. Had a thoroughly enjoyable time though.

Let’s be honest, if you had a selection put in front of you without labels, you wouldn’t be able to tell.
Yeah, I think I could at least make a few points about each beer, and comment on the style

Sat in lounge at Dubai airport on my way home for a week and just the sort of tip I needed thanks! Got an Amstel and whisky now but looking forward to some cracking real ale and music tonight at Harbour view :D 😎
How was your night at the Harbour Virw, or is it tonight? Can’t work out the time difference!

I’ve not been to the Harbour View in a long time. Live dahn sarf and don’t get to go on the ale that often when I come up these days.
Lidl do an American Pale Ale for 99p a can, very good for the price although it's quite malty rather than pale, to me anyway. Worth a try though.
Ghost Dance. It’s not bad. As you say a bit malty for an APA for me.

Last edited:
Ghost Dance is the Aldi one? Lidl is Twisted Knot, or something like that. It's the better of the 3 in the 99p a can range anyway, blue can. And aye its dark and malty for a pale.
You’re right. The Lidl one is Burnt Iron or Twisted Iron or something.
To be fair they’re all decent for the price and show how companies have been forced to up their game with a more discerning public out there.

How was your night at the Harbour Virw, or is it tonight? Can’t work out the time difference!

I’ve not been to the Harbour View in a long time. Live dahn sarf and don’t get to go on the ale that often when I come up these days.

Ghost Dance. It’s not bad. As you say a bit malty for an APA for me.
cracking night as it always is there, good ale as well. Be there next Thursday before heading back for work on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back