Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference American IPA

Sat in lounge at Dubai airport on my way home for a week and just the sort of tip I needed thanks! Got an Amstel and whisky now but looking forward to some cracking real ale and music tonight at Harbour view :D 😎
As the title suggests, the supermarkets own America IPA - it’s a cracking beer.
Brewed by Marstons for Sainsbury’s and less than £1.60 a bottle usually. Give it a go.

As the title suggests, the supermarkets own America IPA - it’s a cracking beer.
Brewed by Marstons for Sainsbury’s and less than £1.60 a bottle usually. Give it a go.

Been on it a while as we have a Local just round the corner and they keep it in the Chiller . Another cracking IPA that is readily available , is Aldi's own Wild Bill IPA . Made by Marston , its very nice and at £1.19 for 500 ml bottle , easy on the wallet

Been on it a while as we have a Local just round the corner and they keep it in the Chiller . Another cracking IPA that is readily available , is Aldi's own Wild Bill IPA . Made by Marston , its very nice and at £1.19 for 500 ml bottle , easy on the wallet
I’ve had that. Might well be the same beer re-branded I guess.
Lasses with hairy chests and hairy balls aye.
We’ve all woken up next to one or two of them I’d bet.
IPA’s for lasses & real men drink stout & porter, however, I’m off to Sainsburys shortly for baby milk so I’m going to pick up a bottle in your honour.
Good call.
Sainsbury’s also sell Wiehenstephaner, a superb Weissbier which no one else seems to stock.

Last edited:
IPA’s for lasses & real men drink stout & porter, however, I’m off to Sainsburys shortly for baby milk so I’m going to pick up a bottle in your honour.

I like an IPA and an ale but I don't like stouts or porters, so does our lass

Native American PA surely?
“The story of India pale ale (IPA) is one of the most romantic in the history of beer. At the height of its empire, Britain had emigrants, sailors and troops all around the world—with India being one of its most important outposts. All demanded beer, but India itself was too warm for brewing. To meet that need, London brewers who supplied ale learned through experience that the voyage to India could be tough on perishable beers.

George Hodgson, a London brewer in the late 1700s, used his connections to the East India Co. to dominate the export market to the colony. Among other beers, Hodgson exported a strong pale ale. It was probably brewed with extra additions of hops and at higher alcohol levels, both of which act as preservatives. The long voyage transformed the beer into a wonderful drink.

But Hodgson overreached, and that opened the door to the brewers of Burton-on-Trent, in the English Midlands. The pale ale coming from the Trent valley tasted far better than London brews, because its hard water produced a brighter ale—one with a pleasant and refreshing hop character.

Burton brewmaster Samuel Allsop succeeded in brewing one of exceptional quality. It displaced the London beers to become the preferred export to the English colonies. This came to be called India pale ale, or IPA.“

“The story of India pale ale (IPA) is one of the most romantic in the history of beer. At the height of its empire, Britain had emigrants, sailors and troops all around the world—with India being one of its most important outposts. All demanded beer, but India itself was too warm for brewing. To meet that need, London brewers who supplied ale learned through experience that the voyage to India could be tough on perishable beers.

George Hodgson, a London brewer in the late 1700s, used his connections to the East India Co. to dominate the export market to the colony. Among other beers, Hodgson exported a strong pale ale. It was probably brewed with extra additions of hops and at higher alcohol levels, both of which act as preservatives. The long voyage transformed the beer into a wonderful drink.

But Hodgson overreached, and that opened the door to the brewers of Burton-on-Trent, in the English Midlands. The pale ale coming from the Trent valley tasted far better than London brews, because its hard water produced a brighter ale—one with a pleasant and refreshing hop character.

Burton brewmaster Samuel Allsop succeeded in brewing one of exceptional quality. It displaced the London beers to become the preferred export to the English colonies. This came to be called India pale ale, or IPA.“
I don't get it?

I wasn't keen on their IPA to be honest.
I suspect this is going to get moved to the ales and beers thread but I rediscovered Bath Ales Lansdown West Coast IPA the other day. That's very nice

In theory, anyway. In practice, what's the real difference these days?

This might call for an in depth comparitive analysis over the winter months where dark beers are the correct choice!
Stout just means "strong".

Porter is a style of beer. Stout Porters were just strong porters. Then the word Stout fell out of use for other styles of beer, leaving only porters using it - and then because of that, the porter bit started to get dropped too.

Guiness is really a porter, and not an especially stout porter at that.

You can have a stout beer of any type really. Durham Brewery does a nice a White Stout. White Stout
"Origin: Two hundred years ago, before the porter brewers commandeered “stout” to mean stout or strong porter, a stout beer was a strong beer. It did not have to be black. We have re-created the style using modern hops and a full malt body. "

Stout just means "strong".

Porter is a style of beer. Stout Porters were just strong porters. Then the word Stout fell out of use for other styles of beer, leaving only porters using it - and then because of that, the porter bit started to get dropped too.

Guiness is really a porter, and not an especially stout porter at that.

You can have a stout beer of any type really. Durham Brewery does a nice a White Stout. White Stout
"Origin: Two hundred years ago, before the porter brewers commandeered “stout” to mean stout or strong porter, a stout beer was a strong beer. It did not have to be black. We have re-created the style using modern hops and a full malt body. "

Ah shit thx m8. Didnt know that.

I always thought that the term Porter came from the fact that it was a drink mainly drunk by porters. Here's what wiki says.

Porter is a dark style of beer developed in London from well-hopped beers made from brown malt.[1][2] The name was first recorded in the 18th century, and is thought to come from its popularity with street and river porters, who carried objects for others.[3]
The history and development of stout and porter beer types are intertwined.[4] The name "stout", used for a dark beer, is believed to have come about because strong porters were marketed under such names as "extra porter", "double porter", and "stout porter". The term stout porter would later be shortened to just stout. For example, Guinness Extra Stout was originally called "Extra Superior Porter" and was only given the name "Extra Stout" in 1840.[5]

To be honest, I wouldn't get too het up over the entomology of stout or porter, just get stuck into it. My local brewery is having an open day on Saturday. They do a fab Mr M's Porter, which is lush. They have also kept a 2017 brew back for two years, so that should be fab to try alongside the current on. But what I am really looking forward to is a special one brewed with vanilla and blueberries. Sounds disgusting and nice at the same time.

The Southwark Brewing Company do a lush porter too. @Dougal

Back