SACK MOTT!

However Hales being out of the side for so long was a good thing. First and foremost we have been excellent without him with 2 out of Buttler, Bairstow and Roy doing everything Hales could for a good while and importantly there was a trust issue not just with Morgan but Stokes also who has only recently got back onside with Hales. We had a great side and didn't need the distraction Hales was bringing with his off the field demeanors. I doubt Hales would admit it but he has learned from being out of the side.

I think you’re confusing the 50 over n 20 over stuff there tho

There’s been no real meaningful 50 over cricket since 2019

Roy n bairstow don’t open together in t20. Roy is a class 50 over played but not a great t20 in my opinion

I think the Hales exile went on too long, fair enough initially I guess but it just became to personal by Morgan

I feel someone above him should have said they needed to get together and talk things through

I believe it’s not really the drug test that cost him more that he didn’t tell anyone about it and that he didn’t back stokes enough after Cardiff. Coupled with stuff with his ex lass who was best mates with all the wags

Hales was an usher at Buttler’s wedding for example, he gets on with these lads, Morgan clearly a great captain but I felt he was allowed too much power

Should always pick your best side regardless

I think you’re confusing the 50 over n 20 over stuff there tho

There’s been no real meaningful 50 over cricket since 2019

Roy n bairstow don’t open together in t20. Roy is a class 50 over played but not a great t20 in my opinion

I think the Hales exile went on too long, fair enough initially I guess but it just became to personal by Morgan

I feel someone above him should have said they needed to get together and talk things through

I believe it’s not really the drug test that cost him more that he didn’t tell anyone about it and that he didn’t back stokes enough after Cardiff. Coupled with stuff with his ex lass who was best mates with all the wags

Hales was an usher at Buttler’s wedding for example, he gets on with these lads, Morgan clearly a great captain but I felt he was allowed too much power

Should always pick your best side regardless
Good post but I don’t agree with the last line necessarily. Hales was always in our best side but there was issues with Stokes and in the first instance there was issues of trust with Morgan certainly and some players. It did go on to long though and I agree that Hales should have been back in the frame a year or so earlier than he was.

The t20 side has defs improved like

They’re loads more flexible and did loads of great things

Stokes opening bowling, Curran death bowler, 7 of side can bowl.

Making the batting lineup even more flexible about who comes in at certain moments

Under Morgan we’d have played a batter less and a bowler more, which we didn’t need

We will see on the 50 stuff but the t20 stuff defs improved. We wouldn’t have won this under Morgan in my opinion, who is obviously brilliant, but had so much say that he wouldn’t let anyone influence it

In general but there’s loads of specifics you’ve ignored

The t20 has changed loads even since the summer

It’s another brilliant decision by Rob key

I was mixed on him as a commentator but I was really pleased with him getting this gig as he isn’t a corporate suit. Literally everything he has done, appointment etc has been brilliant

He’s also chairing selection and doing a class job, I hope he sticks at it
My point been is I think the culture and way of playing white ball cricket is well embedded in this side and has been for years.

As opposed to the test side where McCullum has changed that culture and way of playing.

The white ball cricket team has soo many talented and experienced cricketers that they empowered to make changes and adapt themselves and Buttler imo is a very highly intelligent cricketer as well as a talented one.

In that way don’t think Mott has had to change things like McCullum has had too with the test side.

He has already took over a very accomplished side and whether they won or lost in the T20 World Cup don’t think that much would have been down to him imo.

We now have a culture embedded to play attacking positive cricket in all formats which personally I think is brilliant!!

Last edited:
Good post but I don’t agree with the last line necessarily. Hales was always in our best side but there was issues with Stokes and in the first instance there was issues of trust with Morgan certainly and some players. It did go on to long though and I agree that Hales should have been back in the frame a year or so earlier than he was.

Just think in t20 in particular he should have been in the World Cup squad last year

I just basically don’t think Morgan should have been allowed to have that much power basically

If the selectors believe he’s worthy of a call uo it’s down to Morgan to be professional and come up with a compromise

Just think in t20 in particular he should have been in the World Cup squad last year

I just basically don’t think Morgan should have been allowed to have that much power basically

If the selectors believe he’s worthy of a call uo it’s down to Morgan to be professional and come up with a compromise
We just don’t know the full picture. Supporting Stokes with his mental health may have been a factor and bringing Hales back during his struggles may have been a consideration. Anyway we did great without HaIes and now we are doing great with him. Any power Morgan had resulted in tremendous success for England I don’t really understand why it rubs you up the wrong way.

He was left out the squad this year as well up until Bairstow got injured mind

It’s not just the decline in results, but the team’s attitude and approach has been incredibly poor since he took over.

I don’t see what the guy actually brings. He’s relied on the same faces as 2019, hoping they win games through moments of individual brilliance, and has failed to challenge the players. Lots of them seem to be coasting.

I never wanted to see the end of ODI’s, but unfortunately it may well be that we’re heading that way given the complete lack of interest globally for this competition.
Sadly agree. That said I think the attitude of the England players has been appalling so far. Whilst it's clearly a format which has taken a back seat, we look the least arsed from what I've seen so far, that's not a good look.

Initially leaving Brook out, then changing to Roy and basically letting Stokes walk back in for a world cup has clearly harmed team spirit. Individually we are as good any side in the tournament but to win a world cup you need 11 guys fighting for each other which they are not

In fairness to Mott, a lot of players are at the back end of their ODI careers, ala Root (32), Stokes (32), Wood (33), Rashid (35), Buttler (33), Woakes (34)

Last edited:

Back