Ryhope Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're simply mischief mongering mate simple as, and digging a bigger hole as ya gannin on.

How is that? You asked why I would think it... I took one look at the pictures of the house and instantly thought of the below. Digging a deeper hole for explaining why I thought what I did? I'd accept what people are saying if I was being a bell about it but I was just asking questions to engage in further discussion. That's all, no malicious intent, although if it was bho production I could see how me opening my gob on here may contribute to problems and on that note I'll shut the fuck up.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/mvnkg4/explosion-of-butane-hash-oil-uk

Just what I was told by the copper when I was heading home and they were making sure I wasn't a rubber necker. Was told it wasn't a forced evacuation but I was entering at my own risk.

Strangely I had hot water still.

Heard one of the gas fellas saying he was capping it off is I left the house to go out.
It's miraculous there have been no injuries to be honest. Do the fires fitted in those properties have a history of causing issues? Not being facetious but I genuinely can't recall any explosions like that caused by fires fitted in the home, I don't exactly go looking for news reports or data for it though but, I am aware of what BHO production can do to a home when it goes tits up. Again, I must reiterate, I'm not stating that is what has happened in this case.

You still got a gas boiler like? Are those houses council or private?

Last edited:
It's miraculous there have been no injuries to be honest. Do the fires fitted in those properties have a history of causing issues?
Not that I know of but they are old and ugly. We had ours disconnected a few years ago as we'd gotten a cover made to hide it.

The fires get an annual service, it's thorough, I'd be surprised if it was the fire.

It is miraculous, I didn't think anyone could have survived that.

Young kid in the neighbouring house (now pulled down) was shell shocked from what I've heard.

Not that I know of but they are old and ugly. We had ours disconnected a few years ago as we'd gotten a cover made to hide it.

The fires get an annual service, it's thorough, I'd be surprised if it was the fire.

It is miraculous, I didn't think anyone could have survived that.

Young kid in the neighbouring house (now pulled down) was shell shocked from what I've heard.

I would imagine it'd leave most shaken to be honest even if you were aware of what was about to happen. The magnitude of what's happened to that house would leave you traumitised if you were slap bang in the middle. I can see how my comments are controversional to someone who's close to those affected but that wasn't my intention, honestly.

I would imagine it'd leave most shaken to be honest even if you were aware of what was about to happen. The magnitude of what's happened to that house would leave you traumitised if you were slap bang in the middle. I can see how my comments are controversional to someone who's close to those affected but that wasn't my intention, honestly.
You're talking to a lad that put a thread up last week about how a bloke who threw one up his his wife and got sent down for rape didn't do anything that bad, I'm not averse to controversy. :lol:

There's a fair few Ryhope lads on here, my worry was that a poster spent the morning with his daughter after telling her that her mam's house blew up then logs into someone bringing up this week's drug scare.

The street is a pretty even split between god's waiting room and young families these days. It was mainly god's waiting room when I moved in.

You're talking to a lad that put a thread up last week about how a bloke who threw one up his his wife and got sent down for rape didn't do anything that bad, I'm not averse to controversy. :lol:

There's a fair few Ryhope lads on here, my worry was that a poster spent the morning with his daughter after telling her that her mam's house blew up then logs into someone bringing up this week's drug scare.

The street is a pretty even split between god's waiting room and young families these days. It was mainly god's waiting room when I moved in.
Fair enough point seen.

I don't think Pez is a member on here I've been mates with him for years, just glad he decided to keep the bairn an extra night

Funny how things work out, thankfully for the best in this case

Probably left the cooker rings on all night came down in the morning turned a light on and boom. Would have to be a serious amount of gas in the property for that size explosion. When I seen it I figured it was someone coming back from holiday having left the hob on for a week. How she never smelt it is amazing!

For any people that don't know if you ever get a strong smell of gas in your house do NOT switch anything on or off. Isolate the gas at your ecv. Open all windows and ring the gas emergency number on the front of your gas meter.

Probably left the cooker rings on all night came down in the morning turned a light on and boom. Would have to be a serious amount of gas in the property for that size explosion. When I seen it I figured it was someone coming back from holiday having left the hob on for a week. How she never smelt it is amazing!

For any people that don't know if you ever get a strong smell of gas in your house do NOT switch anything on or off. Isolate the gas at your ecv. Open all windows and ring the gas emergency number on the front of your gas meter.
but how do you know that opening the windows wont bring the ratio down back into the explosive 5 - 15% stoichiometric range? ;)

At some point you have to get rid of the gas mate. Or alternatively turn all gas on and don't light it and shut all the windows?
anar i was just being a smart arse. mind theres a decent train of though that says let it flood itself then let transco do the hard bit and ventilate it out safely

anar i was just being a smart arse. mind theres a decent train of though that says let it flood itself then let transco do the hard bit and ventilate it out safely
Not a bad shout but it's impossible tell what level of gas is in the house so you could take it into the combustible range. Would be amazed if it was a leak on pipework or ecv in this case as it would have to be an open end for this kind of build up. Last one like this in Manchester ended with the dad being arrested for tampering with his gas supply I believe.

Not a bad shout but it's impossible tell what level of gas is in the house so you could take it into the combustible range. Would be amazed if it was a leak on pipework or ecv in this case as it would have to be an open end for this kind of build up. Last one like this in Manchester ended with the dad being arrested for tampering with his gas supply I believe.
morley was it not? on second thoughts the Morley one wasnt quite this dramatic, just got away with a bit of a fire. About 10 year back we had one down here in Batley, tennants weren`t so lucky, the house and next door simply dissappeared from the skyline.

morley was it not? on second thoughts the Morley one wasnt quite this dramatic, just got away with a bit of a fire. About 10 year back we had one down here in Batley, tennants weren`t so lucky, the house and next door simply dissappeared from the skyline.
Was one in hylton about 20-25 year ago round the corner from my grandads house. Bloke had done work to the boiler himself or something like that and blew the roof and top floor off. Insurance wouldn't pay out so just put a roof on the ground floor and is now a bungalow :lol:

Was one in hylton about 20-25 year ago round the corner from my grandads house. Bloke had done work to the boiler himself or something like that and blew the roof and top floor off. Insurance wouldn't pay out so just put a roof on the ground floor and is now a bungalow :lol:
shouldnt laugh but fuck me :lol:

Castletown that mate. The bloke went to prison for that. I went to school with his son.

Castletown that mate. The bloke went to prison for that. I went to school with his son.
I've always just called the top end Hylton castle fuck knows why but aye Castletown. My grandad lives in Cheltenham road round the corner. Was it something like he fitted his own boiler or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back