Ryhope Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woman in hostpital with serious injuries, two families lost their homes, and there's a lass in the Echo today having a moan about some cracked plaster and a few missing roof slates.

What houses? In this case Gentoo have said the house has been checked structurally (twice) and it's fine. Just needs cosmetic repairs.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...leaves-family-home-unfit-to-live-in-1-8705961

Understandably the lass is frustrated her house is damaged, but in the context of what could have happened, and what did happen to others, waiting for some repairs from Gentoo isn't the end of the world.

the article states that she wants to move to another area of the city, sounds like opportunism to me and if so she should be slammed for it.

Woman in hostpital with serious injuries, two families lost their homes, and there's a lass in the Echo today having a moan about some cracked plaster and a few missing roof slates.
Mate, on the day people were pissing and moaning about Gentoo saying they wouldn't do structural checks on the whole street. I'm not talking about people who live three or four houses down here.

The houses were built in the 30s, I've got the foundations of a bloody bomb shelter in the garden. I think they'll be fine.

What houses? In this case Gentoo have said the house has been checked structurally (twice) and it's fine. Just needs cosmetic repairs.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/...leaves-family-home-unfit-to-live-in-1-8705961

Understandably the lass is frustrated her house is damaged, but in the context of what could have happened, and what did happen to others, waiting for some repairs from Gentoo isn't the end of the world.

It doesn't say what her job is the article but by her statements, I'm assuming she has higher structural engineering qualifications than the surveyor who has already deemed the property to be safe. Cut her some slack man!

I spent almost three decades working for a public sector landlord and one of the "cosmetic" problem Gentoo refers to looks to me like a substantial hole in the roof. As it is now some days after the explosion I am surprised that Gentoo has not had the wit to at least cover the hole prior to its permanent repair. If there is a substantial fall of rain the disrepair of the property will worsen as it is likely that ceilings will come down and their will be water damage throughout the building. Gentoo will certainly have to move the tenant to another property then.

I don't think I have ever encountered a housing manager who has give such a surly and hostile response to a tenant who does have a genuine grievance about the conditions they are living in especially when you consider what caused the disrepair in the first place. The lass was living right next door to the explosion when it occurred and it is very likely that she is still in a state of shock. Gentoo is the landlord of the property and as such the legislation makes them directly responsible for the immediate repair of the property regardless of what the cause may have been.

I have every sympathy for the lady who was badly injured and I hope that she makes a full recovery. I am sorry too that her family and the neighbour have also lost their homes and many of their possessions. I hope that their lives can be returned to normal as quickly as possible. It is not good enough however to say to others who have been affected that your inaction in their case is as a result of there being those who are worse off .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back