Running thread 2024

Finally in bed after Manchester today, not a clue who thinks marathon’s are a good idea :lol:.
Official time of 4:28:22. Wanted sub 4 hours and was on course at 30k but it all went south from there. Starting to think i’m just not cut out for event for the big events!
Well done for getting around mate, think we sometimes get so caught up in our "goals" we just forget how good the simple achievement of just completing these runs is (not a criticism, I'm the same as are 95% of runners). Make sure you take the time sit back and think how proud of yourself you should be.

Has anyone done the Ultra North trail 25k before?
Just noticed it and I quite fancying doing it. Looks like it’s a 25k loop from the swing bridge up past Swalwell to Rowlands gill and back.
I think it might be a decent considering it’s in July so the weather should be good!

Well done for getting around mate, think we sometimes get so caught up in our "goals" we just forget how good the simple achievement of just completing these runs is (not a criticism, I'm the same as are 95% of runners). Make sure you take the time sit back and think how proud of yourself you should be.
Cheers. It’s very true mind, I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to these things, I think more so because the training seems to go relatively well but for whatever see reason it never translates into the day.

Ultimately though, it’s about 45 minutes quicker than my first Marathon and not far off the average pace I managed for my first 5k in 2021 and if anyone had told me back then i’d have ran a half marathon let alone 2 full marathons i’d have thought they were a lunatic. :lol:

Roll on the Sunderland half in May!

Has anyone done the Ultra North trail 25k before?
Just noticed it and I quite fancying doing it. Looks like it’s a 25k loop from the swing bridge up past Swalwell to Rowlands gill and back.
I think it might be a decent considering it’s in July so the weather should be good!
My friend and his missus are doing it, think it's his way of dipping his toe in the water of more challenging runs than half-marathons. Looks decent like, would be one i'd consider in the future.
Cheers. It’s very true mind, I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to these things, I think more so because the training seems to go relatively well but for whatever see reason it never translates into the day.

Ultimately though, it’s about 45 minutes quicker than my first Marathon and not far off the average pace I managed for my first 5k in 2021 and if anyone had told me back then i’d have ran a half marathon let alone 2 full marathons i’d have thought they were a lunatic. :lol:

Roll on the Sunderland half in May!
Wow mate, helluva achievement taking that much off your first time as well. Good luck for the Sunderland half, always love the Sunderland runs.

I've just done my first proper run in over a fortnight today after had a nasty hip/top of leg/hamstring type issue. Got through 6.5km fine, albeit slowly, so that's a positive.

Still don't think i'm out the woods but a huge weight off my shoulders getting a run done, have hated not doing any over the last few weeks. Was away in Tenerife last week (ooh look at me!) and normally love taking my trainers on holiday and having a look around the local area a few mornings, so that was very frustrating (although i realise the definition of a first world problem).

Got the Gateshead half in a couple weeks so just want to stay somewhat pain free and give myself a good chance of getting a chunk off my half marathon PB.

Last edited:
My friend and his missus are doing it, think it's his way of dipping his toe in the water of more challenging runs than half-marathons. Looks decent like, would be one i'd consider in the future.

Wow mate, helluva achievement taking that much off your first time as well. Good luck for the Sunderland half, always love the Sunderland runs.

I've just done my first proper run in over a fortnight today after had a nasty hip/top of leg/hamstring type issue. Got through 6.5km fine, albeit slowly, so that's a positive.

Still don't think i'm out the woods but a huge weight off my shoulders getting a run done, have hated not doing any over the last few weeks. Was away in Tenerife last week (ooh look at me!) and normally love taking my trainers on holiday and having a look around the local area a few mornings, so that was very frustrating (although i realise the definition of a first world problem).

Got the Gateshead half in a couple weeks so just want to stay somewhat pain free and give myself a good chance of getting a chunk off my half marathon PB.
Good luck with the recovery!

I’m a saddo aswell and my trainers always seem to end up in my suitcase. I even managed to bag a few local legends on Strava in the cairngorms last October, not sure if that was a low point or high point. :lol:

Fingers crossed for Gateshead!

Started to feel heavy legged for the first time in a few months this week. Been ok when I’m out running, but fucked for the rest of the day.

Had rest days in between runs, but not made much difference this week.

Started to feel heavy legged for the first time in a few months this week. Been ok when I’m out running, but fucked for the rest of the day.

Could be coming down with something.
Also, how many miles a week do you run. I'm no expert but most distance training plans seem to drop back the mileage every 4/5 weeks. Think the aim is to give your body some recovery time.

Could be coming down with something.
Also, how many miles a week do you run. I'm no expert but most distance training plans seem to drop back the mileage every 4/5 weeks. Think the aim is to give your body some recovery time.

Aye I’m doing around 25 miles a week. A little more maybe.

Probably need a couple of days off and a few shorter runs

Buy a foam roller and thank me later
Just done 6.55 miles(half a GNR under 52 mins at an average of 7:54 pace. Felt so good during the whole run.

Last edited:
Anyone doing London at weekend?
Butterflies are building in my stomach now 🤢
If only. Long run for Sunderland half instead.
That was me last year before. I nearly welled up when I crossed the start line and again when I went round that monument at Buckingham palace. I'd only started running because for this race as I told my junior school pe teacher id do the London marathon and at 50 I was running out of time.
All I can say is don't go off to fast. It's slightly downhill and easy to get carried away. Have a fab time. If you've dint the training then enjoy your victory lap.
Think it's sad they giving the t shirts at the expo this year rather than the end. They should be for finishing imo.

If only. Long run for Sunderland half instead.
That was me last year before. I nearly welled up when I crossed the start line and again when I went round that monument at Buckingham palace. I'd only started running because for this race as I told my junior school pe teacher id do the London marathon and at 50 I was running out of time.
All I can say is don't go off to fast. It's slightly downhill and easy to get carried away. Have a fab time. If you've dint the training then enjoy your victory lap.
Think it's sad they giving the t shirts at the expo this year rather than the end. They should be for finishing imo.
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Hope you told your PE teacher of your success if they’re still around 😀

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Hope you told your PE teacher of your success if they’re still around 😀
Unfortunately he died quite young but he was an inspiration. I was a girl (still am, don't know why I said was 🤣🤣) and he tried to get me on the footy team but wasn't allowed back then in the 80s.
Massive good luck you and @Daydream Believer. You'll smash it. Come back Monday and let us know how you got on.

Back