Running thread 2024

I'm the heaviest I've been for years. Had a good few months last year running wise but got covid in Nov and lost interest after that. Goal is just to get some consistent running, lose a couple of stone, not worried about times or races.

actually give myself a decent chance of sticking to my running, that mainly means staying sober. So plan is to stay away from the usual trap I fall into of counting every calorie and doing all my training through the week then undoing it all on a weekend.

Got Loch Ness marathon in September and I’d like to get a time I’m actually proud of, I completely fucked about leading upto and the actual run of my last one, drinking lager and rum as I went round

Run further than last year, set PB at each distance, and get that 25 min 5km.

Plus get onto a regular routine of swimming and weights to help my overall fitness and drop some Clem

Targets for the year are basically just to keep improving, but in order so I've got specifics

> Run 1000km for the first time
> Break 25min for 5k (current PB - set at Herra Parkrun - is 26m02s)
> Break 55min for 10k (current PB of 58m16s)
Break 2h5 for half marathon (currently 2h19).
> Beat previous time in all races I'm repeating
Run further than last year, set PB at each distance, and get that 25 min 5km.

Plus get onto a regular routine of swimming and weights to help my overall fitness and drop some Clem
As above, that's one of my goals but Jesus it feels a long way away. Basically the idea of every KM being under 5min bamboozles me. Proper mental block I think.

Targets for the year are basically just to keep improving, but in order so I've got specifics

> Run 1000km for the first time
> Break 25min for 5k (current PB - set at Herra Parkrun - is 26m02s)
> Break 55min for 10k (current PB of 58m16s)
Break 2h5 for half marathon (currently 2h19).
> Beat previous time in all races I'm repeating

As above, that's one of my goals but Jesus it feels a long way away. Basically the idea of every KM being under 5min bamboozles me. Proper mental block I think.
Do you do much interval training?

Do you do much interval training?
Yes and no - I was for a bit late year then had some calf issues so reigned in the short fast bursts and just done more tempo/endurance.

Tbf it done me right as not long after saw a big improvement, but was tied to improved general fitness as much as owt else. Aware if I want to keep improving gonna probably need to do likes of intervals and that properly.

Was quite a long answer to a simple question from you mind 🙈

Yes and no - I was for a bit late year then had some calf issues so reigned in the short fast bursts and just done more tempo/endurance.

Tbf it done me right as not long after saw a big improvement, but was tied to improved general fitness as much as owt else. Aware if I want to keep improving gonna probably need to do likes of intervals and that properly.

Was quite a long answer to a simple question from you mind 🙈
Interested in a running club? Strollers would help with advice and training in a group is much better, imo.

Need to properly get back at it this year.

Started 2023 in good form but then tore my calf running the Brass Monkey in January & never really got back to any sort of form. Race photos show I was still lean in mid-November but a couple of pics from between Christmas & New Year show the beginnings of a kite so need to get that sorted.

Doing my 1st & probably only London Marathon this year so going to be concentrating on training for that for the 1st 4 months then see where things stand from there.

Interested in a running club? Strollers would help with advice and training in a group is much better, imo.
Might be an option, would be tricky as our lass ford nursing placements so a lot of (random, no pattern) nights are took up with that. Once she graduates in summer and gets a job with more settled rotas, type of thing I'll look at.

Very, very keen to keep my focus this year - I'm terrible for getting out the habit and losing all progress. So stuff like that are the things I need to consider, where I can get it to work.

Might be an option, would be tricky as our lass ford nursing placements so a lot of (random, no pattern) nights are took up with that. Once she graduates in summer and gets a job with more settled rotas, type of thing I'll look at.

Very, very keen to keep my focus this year - I'm terrible for getting out the habit and losing all progress. So stuff like that are the things I need to consider, where I can get it to work.
You don't need to attend every session like. Try it for a few weeks to see if it's for you.

I’m struggling for targets beyond just improving current PBs.

Had a good 2023 so would just be happy building on that. A sub 20 minute 5k will probably be my main aim. PB is currently 20:31.

I keep toying with the idea of joining a running club, I get plenty of miles in but think i’d probably benefit from having a bit more competition and a bit advice (I still think I have no idea how to actually run and have almost improved accidentally :lol:)

I’m struggling for targets beyond just improving current PBs.

Had a good 2023 so would just be happy building on that. A sub 20 minute 5k will probably be my main aim. PB is currently 20:31.

I keep toying with the idea of joining a running club, I get plenty of miles in but think i’d probably benefit from having a bit more competition and a bit advice (I still think I have no idea how to actually run and have almost improved accidentally :lol:)
Where do ya live?

2023 was a mixed bag, managed a PB in every distance from 5k to HM but then hit October after Penshaw 10k and just lost all motivation for running, did nothing at all for rest of the year and I am now the heaviest I have ever been and feeling awful and out of shape.

Aim for the year is get back into running, build consistency, lose some timber and see where I am at. Started back today with a very slow effort at C25K have to start somewhere 🤷‍♂️

Had a crap end to 2023. Barely got out for a couple of months due to real life interfering. So my plan for 2024 is to run all 36 (at present) parkruns in the north east. Kicked off this morning in Middlesbrough at Albert Park (I'm not going to do them in alphabetical order but it seemed like a good place to start). Happy to get round, even if I know I can do better than my time. Hopefully it's the start of me getting out regularly again.

Longer term, I want to get back to doing regular 10ks and work towards a half by the end of the year. I'm also hoping to get more out of my daft little parkrun blog, if anyone fancies a read: Pints & Parkruns: Albert Park, Middlesbrough

2023 was a mixed bag, managed a PB in every distance from 5k to HM but then hit October after Penshaw 10k and just lost all motivation for running, did nothing at all for rest of the year and I am now the heaviest I have ever been and feeling awful and out of shape.

Aim for the year is get back into running, build consistency, lose some timber and see where I am at. Started back today with a very slow effort at C25K have to start somewhere 🤷‍♂️
Sunderland Strollers beginners starts on Monday 8th, cine and give it a go. All welcome and gradually increases the distance each week to week 12 it'll be at least 5 mile

Worst running year on record for me last year due to various reasons….injury/work load/health issue/general laziness so my aim is to get out running and slow the pace to reduce the HR an get the fitness and distance back up to over 1500 miles a year.

Back