Running thread 2024

Started week 8 of couch to 5k and first 28 minute run, actually felt like I had a bit to spare at the end which bodes well.

Think if I did try 5k It would be 36/38 minutes , being tempted to try but really want to stick with the programm
Stick with it 100% I’m pretty sure it’s week 10 that you do a 5k.

Sure this has been covered but what are peoples thoughts on the carbon plate trainers?

Are they worth it? I heard they might just be for like quick runners. I run 5kms and 10km few times a week, want to get better but just for my own fitness, times not vital.

The Nike ones are a bit much. Anyone know any for like 100-125 price range?

Sure this has been covered but what are peoples thoughts on the carbon plate trainers?

Are they worth it? I heard they might just be for like quick runners. I run 5kms and 10km few times a week, want to get better but just for my own fitness, times not vital.

Always look at the prior years range in the sales I picked up Boston 11’s when the 12’s were released for under £100.

There’ll be people better placed than me to suggest this but for 5-10k I wouldn’t bother. If you’re doing 10 miles plus you’ll really notice a difference imo.

Always look at the prior years range in the sales I picked up Boston 11’s when the 12’s were released for under £100.

There’ll be people better placed than me to suggest this but for 5-10k I wouldn’t bother. If you’re doing 10 miles plus you’ll really notice a difference imo.

I’m wanting to do maybe 2 half marathons a year?

Your training would need you to get the miles in so get some carbon. Still have a training shoe though for all those long miles and use the carbon for races. I would recommend you get about 30 miles of training in your carbon though.

Thanks for the advice, see im just a novice on info. bit confused. i can run the HM distance already.

why would i not want to use these for my daily runs? i just want one pair of good new running shoes

Did about 8.5k of the Sunderland 10k last night after a first look out in a few weeks on Monday. Head absolutely in the shed at the minute - has been since starting my new job over Christmas tbh. Felt as though it was relatively quick but when I clocked it, it was way off which was disappointing to say the least.

Peaks and troughs of my consistency are incredible. Will go through 3-4 weeks where I’m right at it getting out a few times a week and right into it. Then I’ll get a bit heavy legged or feel like I’m risking a bit too much too soon and then find myself doing nothing for 2-3 weeks and finding it impossible to get out, thus just totally plateauing in getting any better. Frustrating as out. It’s the same with the gym for the days in-between. Just cannot keep any rhythm.

Have a few races this year so I know I need to/ will keep getting out at some point, but doesn’t half get you down when you’re in the ‘trough’ period. Have never actually adhered to a training plan/ diary. Wondering if that might help.

Thanks for the advice, see im just a novice on info. bit confused. i can run the HM distance already.

why would i not want to use these for my daily runs? i just want one pair of good new running shoes
Some carbon shoes don’t last that long miles wise. Some last about 300 miles and they lose their bounce (going off reviews) I bought my first carbon shoes last year my plan was to race in them then use them for training this year and have another new pair for races and repeat.
More personal preference but I was advised not to race and train in the same shoe.

I went for the adidas Boston 11 they’re carbon rods not plates they’re advertised as a training shoe to the more expensive super shoes.

I wouldnt bother, only for racing really. For training comfort over performance.

Did about 8.5k of the Sunderland 10k last night after a first look out in a few weeks on Monday. Head absolutely in the shed at the minute - has been since starting my new job over Christmas tbh. Felt as though it was relatively quick but when I clocked it, it was way off which was disappointing to say the least.

Peaks and troughs of my consistency are incredible. Will go through 3-4 weeks where I’m right at it getting out a few times a week and right into it. Then I’ll get a bit heavy legged or feel like I’m risking a bit too much too soon and then find myself doing nothing for 2-3 weeks and finding it impossible to get out, thus just totally plateauing in getting any better. Frustrating as out. It’s the same with the gym for the days in-between. Just cannot keep any rhythm.

Have a few races this year so I know I need to/ will keep getting out at some point, but doesn’t half get you down when you’re in the ‘trough’ period. Have never actually adhered to a training plan/ diary. Wondering if that might help.
Well done on your run today. For me, when I was running alone, a training plan massively helped as it gave me some structure and I'm a bit xomplaive so I'd it was on the plan I had to do it . I also found not putting it off and going out in a morning was best for me.
Since then I've joined some groups so with parkrun on a Saturday, trail running with a local group I found on FB in a Sunday and then I actually joined a proper club and go to Track in a Tues. This only leaves me one solo run to do. You don't have to be great to join a club. I've found the running community massively supportive and, although I'm not fast and well past the age of ever being fast 🤣. Its still improved me immensely. So you might want to try parkrun or running with others?

Some carbon shoes don’t last that long miles wise. Some last about 300 miles and they lose their bounce (going off reviews) I bought my first carbon shoes last year my plan was to race in them then use them for training this year and have another new pair for races and repeat.
More personal preference but I was advised not to race and train in the same shoe.

I went for the adidas Boston 11 they’re carbon rods not plates they’re advertised as a training shoe to the more expensive super shoes.

Ah OK! I see what you mean then. Hmm so just use them for long distance and they feel amazin, thats the idea?
I wouldnt bother, only for racing really. For training comfort over performance.

OK thanks

Last edited:

It's difficult to say. I use the endorhin pro 3 and my feeling is you only get benefits if your are running under 4:30 km pace. I got a half marathon PB in them this year. I also think depends on the brand, for me the endorphin works best 5k to half marathon but start to hurt after 20k.I will use the puma deviate elite for Edinburgh marathon as they don't seem to hurt on the longer distances but don't feel as fast.

It's difficult to say. I use the endorhin pro 3 and my feeling is you only get benefits if your are running under 4:30 km pace. I got a half marathon PB in them this year. I also think depends on the brand, for me the endorphin works best 5k to half marathon but start to hurt after 20k.I will use the puma deviate elite for Edinburgh marathon as they don't seem to hurt on the longer distances but don't feel as fast.

Thanks for the reply. I won’t bother yeah I did not realize it was that pace.

I use Nike trainers which I also use for hiking, so when I’m away I can multi task, they are not heavy but they are not as light as some running shoes I see, if that makes sense

I was thinking about getting something specific for running, maybe not carbon plates but you think it’s worth it?

I’ve ran in these models for years and they’re comfy

I use Nike trainers which I also use for hiking, so when I’m away I can multi task, they are not heavy but they are not as light as some running shoes I see, if that makes sense

I was thinking about getting something specific for running, maybe not carbon plates but you think it’s worth it?

I’ve ran in these models for years and they’re comfy
If you are running distances and can afford it I'd definitely get a pair for running only.

Any ideas the things I should look out for? Lightweight is that the key?
I love the puma velocity nitro shoes, lighter and bouncer then the Nike Pegasus and new balance 1080, and usually cheap at start fitness. Just done a 16k run at 5 min k and they just soaked it up. Obviously I can only give advice in shoes I've ran in. Only issue with the puma is they insist on making them as ugly as possible, would love them to make them a bit nicer then I could take them away for holidays as a fashion and running shoe but cannot.

That's how they work for him but everyone is different. For me the Endorphin Pros are still great even at lower paces. I don't get a higher top speed out of any carbon plated shoes. What I do get from them is a lower heart rate for the same pace which makes them a great marathon shoe for me. They may not be for you though. The only way to find out is to try loads of pairs on & see how they feel on you.

That's how they work for him but everyone is different. For me the Endorphin Pros are still great even at lower paces. I don't get a higher top speed out of any carbon plated shoes. What I do get from them is a lower heart rate for the same pace which makes them a great marathon shoe for me. They may not be for you though. The only way to find out is to try loads of pairs on & see how they feel on you.
I agree with this, but trying them on does not really give the whole picture. I would say if you are only buying carbon because of the hype and not because you are chasing a pb then don't. I paid £180 for the endorphins to be my Marathon shoe only to find out on my first big run in them they don't work for me. I've now got a £180 shoe for parkruns which is a lot of money.

There is a catch 22 with these super shoes, you need to keep them only for race day but also need to do some miles in them to make sure they work for you.

Back