Running thread 2024

Another loose and slow 5 miles. Not been feeling it this week and in the past wouldn’t have gone out especially in this wind but promised my lass I’d take her out and try and push 5 miles out of her. Enjoyed it even at slower pace for me normally
The wind was absolutely rotten yesterday like. Managed 30k as my last long one before the taper. Was aiming for 32k/20 miles but the wind along the coast was hideous. Gave up between souter and marsden grotto and retreated to the cafe at Souter. Felt canny until about the SoL, an absolutely awful struggle from then on. :lol:

The wind was absolutely rotten yesterday like. Managed 30k as my last long one before the taper. Was aiming for 32k/20 miles but the wind along the coast was hideous. Gave up between souter and marsden grotto and retreated to the cafe at Souter. Felt canny until about the SoL, an absolutely awful struggle from then on. :lol:
Both runs this weekend just felt like for the sake of it with the wind just not even bothered with pace or times just about getting the miles in

just coming tot he end of my first runna 5 k improvement plan and the first time ive actually enjoyed running.

my goal is to hit the sub 30 min 5k, (i know not that impressive), never thought i would be able to run 5k none stop never mind going up to 8k on the long runs

question is do i do another 5k improvement and up the paces or do i try and do a 10k one,
just finished my first 8 weeks and got 32.35 so dropping 6mins in 8 weeks,

Just started to get back into running regularly and did 2 x 5K runs this week, both just under 25 minutes, I'm getting slower by the year now. To think 10 years ago I was ruunning sub 20 minute 5k runs. I don't push myself like I did becasue of recurring injuries and having arthritus doesn't help.

Just over HM distance this afternoon. Similar time to when I did Sunderland half 2 years ago. Aiming to knock another few minutes off my time this year and get closer to the 2hr mark. The last 2 years I only ever did 1 or 2 long runs leading up to it and they were 10 mile max.
This year I've started my long runs earlier and I've actually ran further than HM distance in one of them.

Ive got my long run tomorrow for Sunderland half training. Aiming for 10/11 miles and really need to try to run a little slower for most of it...not that I'm fast 🤣 but slower for my pace. Garmin is ambitiously telling me I can do 2:11. If I can break 2hr 20 I'll be over the moon. 2 previous Half's at 2:31 and 2:24.

Hit 100 mile for the month this morning. Gonna force myself out in the morning as well, try and get another 10 mile in.
That was my plan get 10 miles im but christ I feel rotten this morning.
Not felt great all weekend at all
Just over HM distance this afternoon. Similar time to when I did Sunderland half 2 years ago. Aiming to knock another few minutes off my time this year and get closer to the 2hr mark. The last 2 years I only ever did 1 or 2 long runs leading up to it and they were 10 mile max.
This year I've started my long runs earlier and I've actually ran further than HM distance in one of them.
I bet you feel so much better for it

Last edited:

8k for me this morning, had to cut my 10k short as I also feel like shite. Quite a few people at work were bad last week, hope I’m not coming down with man flu.

Aye I’m the same this morning. Woke up with the bairns cold. Forced myself round on a slow 10k, was quite nice in the sun and very quiet

Volunteered at Parkrun yesterday, which was great fun. Then went out to do a substitute 5k and now the hip niggle which has been knocking about for a couple of weeks developed into a full-blown injury 😓. Bloody impossible to try googling and understanding what specific hip injuries are!

Gonna take a few days off and assess where I'm at. Got Gateshead Half in five weeks so hoping to get it cleared soon enough. Very frustrating, today was gonna be a 19k effort which I was really looking forward to. Stupid, failing body

Always do after a run, even if before hand you want to do anything but
Hit 100 mile for the month this morning. Gonna force myself out in the morning as well, try and get another 10 mile in.
I'm 2 miles shy this month, am I balls going for a run today though. Legs are dead from yesterday's HM
Aye I’m the same this morning. Woke up with the bairns cold. Forced myself round on a slow 10k, was quite nice in the sun and very quiet
Slow! 😀, I've just seen your Strava. Cracking run that

Last edited:
Always do after a run, even if before hand you want to do anything but

I'm 2 miles shy this month, am I balls going for a run today though. Legs are dead from yesterday's HM

Slow! 😀, I've just seen your Strava. Cracking run that

Haha cheers mate, it felt slow! Hoping to push under 50mins before the 10k in May

Back