Running thread 2023

Cheers, first go at the distance for me. It’s been a long week 😀
I hope it went well to plan. Do let us know how you found it...once you've recovered 🤣.
I've got my first next week with a goal of finishing. Its a charity place so having been running for less than a year I'm not going to push myself and just enjoy it. On a positive note I exceeded my £2k fundraising target this week's so at least that's off my mind.

I hope it went well to plan. Do let us know how you found it...once you've recovered 🤣.
I've got my first next week with a goal of finishing. Its a charity place so having been running for less than a year I'm not going to push myself and just enjoy it. On a positive note I exceeded my £2k fundraising target this week's so at least that's off my mind.
Not quite. Went off too quick and was struggling from halfway then totally cramped up at mile 18.

Very nearly jumped on the tram at Sale at mile 21, which was enticingly located at the top of a little hill

Was just pleased to finish in the end but prob 7-9 mins slower than I think I can do. Ran 2:45:58.

I have some mental scars now which I hope see me fare better in the future

Very best of luck next week mate and top effort on the fundraising 👏🏻👏🏻

Wow that is an amazing time for any marathon let alone your first. I'll be just over half way at that point 🤣🤣. I did Manchester half and we stayed in sale so I know exactly where you mean. With better pacing you'll no doubt do better next time and finish stronger. Forget about the bad/hard bits for today and just be amazingly proud of yourself.
As a 50 year old lady who'd never run a mile for about 30 years till last may, I'm expecting to finish somewhere about 5hrs -5 15mins, hopefully fairly comfortably. I had thought about perhaps following the 5 hour pacers and trying to get below but your post has firmed my mind up to be happy with 5hrs 15 (or slower if need be) and enjoy it -thank you for that help 🤣. I might never get another opportunity to do London so I'm going to just enjoy it.
I'll repeat again.... massive congratulations 👏👏👏👏👏

Wow that is an amazing time for any marathon let alone your first. I'll be just over half way at that point 🤣🤣. I did Manchester half and we stayed in sale so I know exactly where you mean. With better pacing you'll no doubt do better next time and finish stronger. Forget about the bad/hard bits for today and just be amazingly proud of yourself.
As a 50 year old lady who'd never run a mile for about 30 years till last may, I'm expecting to finish somewhere about 5hrs -5 15mins, hopefully fairly comfortably. I had thought about perhaps following the 5 hour pacers and trying to get below but your post has firmed my mind up to be happy with 5hrs 15 (or slower if need be) and enjoy it -thank you for that help 🤣. I might never get another opportunity to do London so I'm going to just enjoy it.
I'll repeat again.... massive congratulations 👏👏👏👏👏
Thanks very much

Yes definitely take it easy and run your own race, ignore the pacers and others.

Mind I was given all that advice too and completely ignored it 😀

I hope to do London next year. I bet it’s a great run. Let us know how you get on.

Not quite. Went off too quick and was struggling from halfway then totally cramped up at mile 18.

Very nearly jumped on the tram at Sale at mile 21, which was enticingly located at the top of a little hill

Was just pleased to finish in the end but prob 7-9 mins slower than I think I can do. Ran 2:45:58.

I have some mental scars now which I hope see me fare better in the future

Very best of luck next week mate and top effort on the fundraising 👏🏻👏🏻
Absolutely incredible effort that mind!

Even if the last 5 miles was on the tram. ;)

Last edited:
Didn't so much smash it as smashed myself. Plantar came back with a vengus. I walked/hobbled from mile 17. Was on for 4.30ish. Limped in at 5.30. Gutted but although body was broken my mind wasn't. Nearly cried like a small child at the end such was the frustration I felt!
Hope you manage to recover ok. You got round and I think I'm right in saying you've been having injury problems for some weeks so getting round is an achievement...you can never do your best in that situation. good luck with the recovery.

Hope you manage to recover ok. You got round and I think I'm right in saying you've been having injury problems for some weeks so getting round is an achievement...you can never do your best in that situation. good luck with the recovery.
Yes I've been off and on for 2 months or more. Feel a little better this morning but looks like I'm off for a bit now. Got to drive home now too!

well done to those doing the Manchester one yesterday. The crowds were the best I’ve ever seen, they seemed to drag us over the line at the end. Really enjoyed miles 1-23 and scoffing all those sweets for most of the race!

Good luck with that. I headed straight back yesterday. Was stop/start on a lot of the M62. Not what my right leg needed 😀
Got back ok. Didn't stop and headed up M/A1 to top off the weekend my driver side window broke. Now in garage as motor and switch knackered. At least £100 to fix. When it rains it pours. Heels were killing me during trip back but wallet likely to hurt even more 😭
Given that I can't get a deferral, I've been advised to sell my place for Pier to Pier, if anyone knows anyone that would like a place please let me know.

Last edited:
Got back ok. Didn't stop and headed up M/A1 to top off the weekend my driver side window broke. Now in garage as motor and switch knackered. At least £100 to fix. When it rains it pours. Heels were killing me during trip back but wallet likely to hurt even more 😭
Given that I can't get a deferral, I've been advised to sell my place for Pier to Pier, if anyone knows anyone that would like a place please let me know.
Want me to ask on the running clubs page for you?

Want me to ask on the running clubs page for you?
Looks like one of the club want it. I'm going to AGM next week and hope to get it done then. Thanks though. Getting physio from work and hoping for GP appointment. Needs fixing permanently and not just me resting a short period and hoping for the best. was hoping for a half late in year if I'm fit enough by then. Will check up on whats on once I've had medical advice.

Looks like one of the club want it. I'm going to AGM next week and hope to get it done then. Thanks though. Getting physio from work and hoping for GP appointment. Needs fixing permanently and not just me resting a short period and hoping for the best. was hoping for a half late in year if I'm fit enough by then. Will check up on whats on once I've had medical advice.
Hope all goes well mate.
I should be at AGM, will see you there

Back